Postcrossing coincidences: What are the odds?

Wow!
Italy has about 4000 postcrossers and I drew it for the first time a few days ago, with almost 400 sent on my part. The funny thing is that it was the day before my 5th postcrossing anniversary.
(I was curious how long it took me to draw my native country… 5 years apparently! Never received from it so far, either).

4 Likes

I just found two cards with the same motif in my mail box today. :scream: One is a regular card from Postcrossing, the other one is a card I swapped directly. What are the odds? :joy:

30 Likes

I love reading this thread and I am excited to finally have something to contribute :joy: I am pretty active in a Round Robin and noticed recently we had gotten a new participant. The next day, as I drew an address to send an official postcard, I drew that new RR participant! Thought that was a fun coincidence :blush:

11 Likes

(1) last year I had a trip to a “rare” country planned. I arranged a few exchanges on Facebook, and one person asked to send the card to his friend in another country. time comes, I sign the card, travel, send. exactly a month later I receive an official Postcrossing postcard from the person I sent to! the only reason I recognized was because she had a sticker with her return address. she pulled my address just a few days after I sent my card that was arranged on another website :slight_smile:

(2) even crazier – a few days ago I arrange a direct swap on Facebook, we exchange addresses, I immediately sign a postcard. I need to visit post office that day, and figured I’d do a couple of Postcrossing cards too. I click to get first address – it’s her! the same person I just talked to on Facebook an hour ago! we are both from countries with a lot of postcrossing users… what are the chances?!

21 Likes

I received a postcard from Canada with my favourite bookstore Foyles in London on it.
The funny thing is: the card shows something inside the store, which I have taken also a photo of, 4 years ago. So I decided to make a postcard of my own photo to share this lovely bookshop with other book(shop)lovers worldwide.

13 Likes

I introduced a friend to Postcrossing. She was living about 45 minutes away. A couple of months later, I received a postcard in the mail from her… she would send me a postcard every now and then so I didn’t think anything of it until I noticed the official Postcrossing ID number on it. She had drawn my profile!

I remember sending her a text about it and she told me that she was SO antsy waiting for me to receive it, because she thought the chances of that actually happening were so slim and she couldn’t believe it came up. She didn’t want to spoil the surprise so she was bursting at the seams while waiting to talk about it!

35 Likes

Okay I love this! There’s lots of great situations described in this thread but this is amazing!

(Sorry, messed up quote but quoting on a phone is hard, I’ll fix it later on computer)

4 Likes

Hi, I was wondering what your experiences are about drawing an adress that is in your own city / town? Does it happen at all? If yes, how often has it happend to you?

1 Like

It can’t happen, the algorithm doesn’t do it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

okay, thank you for confirming, I already suspected that.

I received a card from a lady in the U.S. whose son has the same first name as my English name and whose husband had lived in the city where I am currently living in. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The story continues - both of these cards are now expired. :joy::sob:

13 Likes

I am a new member, and I think my fifth card to send was to a woman with the same birthday as me who was also learning the language I am learning - Scottish Gaelic. Not a very big language…

17 Likes

For me it was that the first address I was ever given was someone else who stated that they like Within Temptation. It’s kind of a small thing but Within Temptation is my favorite band so it was kind of a neat little thing.

8 Likes

I just checked my Informed Delivery report for today and there’s an official postcrossing card in it- it just isn’t supposed to be going to me. :joy: The intended receiver is on the other side of the country.

3 Likes

I even had a sequence of 4 once, from the US :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Wow! That’s impressively improbable!

2 Likes

This just happened to me too! At first I thought it was a duplicate because it was from the same handwriting and sender as one I’m due to receive today, but then I saw the address was 3 states away.

Should I send an unofficial :wave: postcard to the member whose info was mistakenly disclosed to me?

2 Likes

This is actually so confusing. I just went to check on the card (I wrote down the ID so I could check on it later) and it’s registered to me. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

When it came in I stuck it in an envelope and forwarded it to the address on the card (didn’t register it or anything like that). How does that happen, lol?

Just thought about how to name a dog over the weekend, if I ever have one - and there he she is waiting for me.

2 Likes