Postcrossers sending cards but not registering any

I reported an account this morning. When I drew the name… I knew something was wrong with the account. The person had only registered three cards, but had sent many many more. And then all activity stopped on their account. It’s annoying when you factor in international postage plus the card itself. I can understand lost cards, but it perturbs me to no end when people purposely don’t register a card. It’s rude and their account should be closed.

2 Likes

What do you mean “all activity stopped”?
I think they must have been active since you drew their address?
Maybe they started with only sending, and now they are receiving too.

2 Likes

I have one where the person sent three cards, one was received a month later, so I was given that address. Nothing since they mailed those cards. Almost 60 days now, they are in a ‘reliable’ country, with 3 more sent than received still.

1 Like

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask but I have been putting all my postcards into a folder and have come across a postcard that wasn’t registered. It’s from 2020. Can it still be registered?

Unfortunately no, postcards fall off the system after a year of travel

2 Likes

oh dear. I’ve sent them a message. No idea why I didn’t register it I wonder if it had something to do with the number and I couldn’t work out what the numbers were :frowning:

Is there a rough amount on how long this is? I am asking because my receiving address may change, but I still would like to send in meantime while being “inactive”

use the link to contact support next time, do not just leave it around

I think you can stay in inactive mode how long you want, but at some point, when you have sent a certain percentage more, you can’t send anymore, before you go back to active mode shortly.

The amount how many more you can sen depends on how much you have already sent. When we couldn’t send to China, many Chinese still kept sending, and had sent hundreds of cards or more.

But, if you are active mode, and you receive cards, and don’t register, then it isn’t tolerated in such huge amounts.

1 Like

Hello,

I am an inactive member. I turn my profile just to active for WPD or for cardsforliteracy.
But when I turn it to active I register every card on the day I find the little treasure in my mailbox.

2 Likes

Yes, I was more interested in knowing that point to plan when I can start sending from now while continuing to be inactive.
So, when I am forced to become active later, depending on the point and limits, I can plan to surely have a stable receiving address by then. :sweat_smile:

Öhm…sorry, I’m not sure if I understand you at all :slight_smile: or am I just very unclear.

You want to know the point when you can’t send anymore in your inactive mode?
I don’t think this is open information. It depends on how many you have sent (at least).

And you are never forced to be active.

So, for example if I were inactive, I could send at least 200 cards, not receive one back, ever.
Or keep the 200 more sent, then wait until I had an address, not even knowing if it will be in 6 moths or 6 years.

But your account won’t turn active, unless you do it.
So you can safely send all the cards you can, and when you have stable address, then turn it active.

3 Likes

Ah got you, I was thinking the same as I cannot find anywhere about this.
So, just hoping a team member would give rough estimate if not exact answer when I asked that to shanaqui :sweat_smile:

I am assuming if I am not allowed to keep on sending, that means I would be forced to become active to receive, is it not?

1 Like

This is the answer. You can compare the number of sent and received card

2 Likes

No. You can stay inactive. (But you just can’t send anymore.)
So even when you sent all you can, and still don’t have an address to receive mail, you don’t have to worry about being forced to receive cards.

3 Likes

Ah, I see, thank you.
My received cards will be staying at zero. So, I guess I can send at least 25 cards before the system kicks in to make me active.

1 Like

It depends on your sending/received ratio, so it’s different for everyone.

To be allowed to send again, yes, you’d have to become active first and start receiving cards again. But that doesn’t mean we dictate when you become active (we don’t automatically switch it over). You choose that part. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ratio :sweat_smile: what if received is zero?

Thinking that you can send 5 when you are new, then you can send at least those without receiving any. But I think it can be much more. Because there is no big risk of inactive member doing harm, after their sent card is registered, why not let them send a new one. Of course you have to wait the cards to arrive before sending more, so you can’t send 10 or 20 at the same time.

Pretty sure i did. And i didnt just leave it around. I was moving atthe time not that i have to explain myself. It would of got packd and forgotten. Thats life.

1 Like