Postcards of Battlefields, Massacres and Cemetaries

Most of us would not be offended at all. The Dome is something I remember seeing in my history class school book when I was 12 years old. I think most Americans are not exactly ashamed of being the only country that has ever dropped an atomic weapon, but realize that we have a responsibility to prevent it from ever happening again.

2 Likes

@pjsubway

ā€¦ not exactly being ashamed of dropping A - bombs in Japanā€¦

Is that because Americans in general nowadays are very mix-raced, multi-cultured-upbringings, and so on and forth ?

Like, why do we have to be blamed for it sort of mentality and attiude because of it ??

Just wondering.

At the same time, I think I can understand, more or less, Japanese Americans have quite a complex feeling on this matterā€¦

I think for better or worse, itā€™s ā€˜historyā€™ to many Americans, especially those who were not yet alive during that time. Though of course there are wide ranges, and itā€™s nuanced subject. I think we (as much as I can speak for a whole country) understand it was a terrible tragedy, but donā€™t feel much of a connection to the event as more than something in the history books.

3 Likes

I think that these postcards will please all the people who mention on their profile that they are interested in history. (And who do not specify that they do not want a subject on war etc.,).
I am passionate about History and I have no problem of ā€œsensitivityā€ for this kind of postcards, I recently received a postcard of ā€œA-Bomb Domeā€, the only building that ā€œresistedā€ the bombs of Hiroshima, I found it great!
I also received once a postcard in a place in homage to the victims of wars ; the sender was a little embarrassed to send me this, I felt that he was not sure that I appreciate, but for me there is no problem. History is History, I donā€™t care if the subject is violent or recent.

(I also often go to cemeteries to admire the tombs, watch the evolution of first names and do genealogical research. I find these places soothing.)

3 Likes

I have receive this card today

I find this one OK - even though I am not really keen on battlefield cards. However, I acknowledge this is a historic site and I am OK with the history part of it.

I guess it always depends on the picture the card is showing and who you are sending the card to.

@pjsubway
@pcronn
@Deo-Gratias

Honestly, I really do not get to feel like sending cards of Hiroshima and/or Nagasaki in general, especially about A-Bomb Dome and cards like it to USAā€¦

But I can feel rather easy to send cards like it to the rest of the world if the recipient finds it meaningful.

2 Likes

Of course do whatever feels right to you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I donā€™t think it has so much to do with our present population being more multicultural. Part of it is what @pcronn mentioned, itā€™s history and time has separated us from it. I had conversations with my grandparents about it, as they were alive during WW2. They all had friends or relatives who were in the US military, waiting to be sent to the planned invasion of Kyushu. After the bombs were dropped and the war ended, they had a tremendous sense of relief that there would be no invasion. There was no happiness about what had been done to Hiroshima or Nagasaki and they were very sympathetic to the Japanese people, but they were convinced that it saved more lives than not. That said, there was plenty of unease and ambiguity about it. As for Japanese-Americans, I would imagine they are varied in their opinions, as everyone else.

3 Likes

@pjsubway
@pcronn
And @Deo-Gratias

Recently, Mr. Biden and Mr. Macron visited Hiroshima welcomed by our prime minister , Mr. Kishida. They both got inside of the building with the war-related exhibit and photos of the victims of the A-bomb.

So, now, for them, at least, it is more than history booksā€¦

Lots of foreign people visit Japan nowadays. I hope you / they get to visit these beautiful towns and Osaka, where I live, which was actually bombed too (air rades ) during WWII to preserve Kyoto (UNESCO)ā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™d welcome those sorts of cards: though of course it is up to the sender to buy them in the first place. Where I live is on a battlefield of the English Civil War, which is important history despite being terribly gruesome and upsetting to think about.

3 Likes

I think both UNESCO collectors and those of us with a general interest in history would appreciate it.

Thereā€™s no need to be especially hesitant about sending such a card to the USA, as compared to other countries.

In fact as a piece of very sad shared history, it might be more relevant to and appreciated by an American than someone from a random country that was not directly involved.

That said, someone (from any country) who asks for things like kittens and unicorns, might not appreciate a postcard that makes them think about the mass murder of innocent civilians.

I would definitely suggest saving them for people who indicate they are open to deeper and more thought-provoking topics.

1 Like

@Tara_Bell

For me, it is still yes and no.

Even after reading your post above, I still have yes and no feelings about sending a card like A-Bomb Dome to people in the world.

I live in Osaka, not Hiroshima or Nagasaki, and the cards I have of the A-Bomb Dome in Hiroshima and the Peace Monuments of both of the cities are so limited, like, only handful. So, in short, I do really carefully choose who I should send the cards to, in the world.

For example, if I ever encounter a profile of a person in USA who very clearly and seriously asks of a card of A-Bomb Dome in Hiroshima because s/he does REALLY feel ashamed of the fact that the past USA Military conducted by D. MacArthur dropped the bombs and find the A-Bomb Dome card or the Peace Memorial card so very meaningful in his or her proflie, then I will seriouly consider that I send it to him or her, written, but in an envelope, just in case.

However, I have really never encountered such a profile of a person on Postcrossing, although I have been on Postcrossing for like 12 years.

On the other hands, I have seen quite many profiles of people who seem to be casually asking of World Wars related cards, cemetaries, and even skullsā€¦

There are times when I think if it is actually something like a postcard-trend or something, I do not know.

1 Like