Postcards from where you live?

Oooo, British Museum has many nice cards of Egyptian antiquities

2 Likes

That´s true :grinning:
I´ve visited there twice.
But I think I didn´t see any pyramids around…

1 Like

I actually prefer to send postcards from Australia - I love to share it with everyone! On the other hand, I’m also from a pretty small town that doesn’t have a lot of choice in postcards and the ones that are available I don’t personally like.
There IS a solution though! I occasionally get a stack of postcards printed through www.vistaprint.com of photos I’ve taken. Yes, I end up with a stack of 50 of the same image but it’s a local image I like to send such as Postcard AU-846753 or Postcard AU-847334. They don’t go off and they work out to a pretty good price, even with international postage added later.
I’ve found Vistaprint to not only be good value but excellent quality too, so it’s an option for you if there’s something local you want to share.
As to what I like to receive I do like something from the same country of origin as it was sent in but at the end of the day if there’s more of a message on the back than just “hello” or “happy Postcrossing” I’m pretty happy. Getting a travel mode card is great fun!

3 Likes

I don’t actually send out too many tourist or greetings from postcards. I have mostly animals, landscapes, and artwork. I have designed a couple “Greetings From” postcards if people request those. I’ve only been at this a little over a month - but many of the cards I’ve received are wildlife based (gee, I wonder why since I tell in my bio how much I love animals). Anyway to make a long story short - I don’t think it matters. And by the way you can buy lots of postcards on line - Amazon, Zazzle, etsy, Redbubble, and I’m sure lots of other places.

I also agree with some other comments I see that the most important part to me is the message on the back. Postcrossing is about connecting and learning about each other.

Welcome to Postcrossing!!! (PS - look at the lotteries! You can win postcards and stickers and it’s fun! I actually just got done posting a lottery a moment ago)

1 Like

Welcome to this great community!
I don’t care at all if cards are not from the country of the sender. I think it is wonderful to get a card from whatever. Many cards are sold internationally .
Some people do ask for cards from a particular country, great when I have some! I guess all the wishes ( also mine) should be taken as an idea, not as an obbligation.

4 Likes

I too use vistaprint with my own photos. Then I can send views I particularly like. (Yours are good.)

2 Likes

@Deevar Thank you! I happen to be lucky enough to live near a lot of great views and interesting things.

I did forget to mention in my earlier reply that sometimes getting a postcard from a country that obviously isn’t the one the card originated in can be fun too, particularly if the sender shares whatever story is behind their acquisition of the card. Were they on holiday? Did they find it at a garage sale or a market? Stories like that

A few people have already discussed this:

Postcards from Unvisted places

3 Likes

Thank you for replying.

Yes, it helps when we live where there’s good scenes for postcards! I must get some more printed soon.

I prefer postcards from the country of origin if it’s a ‘rare’ country like Cuba, or Luxembourg etc. On the other hand, I’ve now received so many from ‘common’ countries that it doesn’t matter so much where they’re from. (Though I do still prefer it.) These days I receive mostly art cards, which I really like.

3 Likes

I think that, as soon as the card depicts your own country, it’s ok.

I don’t v really like receiving, for example, the Eiffell tower sent from Germany, unless there is a reason to do so (maybe the sender bought it during their last trip, and is telling me of it. Or maybe the live next to the border and sending from one country is much more expensive then sending from the other. Thst’s ok.)

But a card of London or of Glasgow sent from the UK are both perfectly fine since they both are in the same country.
As for me, I use to send cards of different places of Italy such as Venice or Rome or the Alps according to the preference of the receiver, even if they are not from my own region, and no one ever complained about that.

2 Likes

sort of… Scots might disagree :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I wrote UK not England. I meant it as country :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I was just kidding, I knew what you meant :grin:

3 Likes

I live in Ohio but have a lot of other US cards that I send out if they match a wishlist; for example I bought some Florida manatee cards at a flea market last weekend.

I enjoy beautiful and interesting cards from wherever, generally speaking. Same country is fine with me too, so many fascinating cards from England and the UK in general.
My view and experience is if members do not want someone to send a card from a country that is not their own, they tend to specify this in their profile.

When I run out of local tourist cards, I send cards from other US locations and recipients seem to enjoy that too, particularly if their likes include specific other US sites and cities.
Personally I have sent an Eiffel Tower card to someone who specifically said they love that, as well as castle cards from other countries to those who list castles on their likes, and all were pleased. In my note, I’ll mention how I got the card too, for example: on my last trip to Paris.
I do not specify tourist or location cards in my profile, although I like them. I really enjoy art cards and more unusual cards as well.

1 Like

I think it’s understandable if you’re not in a large area where you can easily find postcards. I think I focused too hard on having cards that showcase something I enjoy here and it really ruined my vibe for a hot moment. I’ve decided I’m going to make my own cards; but also buy cute, fun, neat ones to share so I can fit what people look for better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I don’t mind if the postcard you mail to me is not from where you live. If I have a postcard that fulfills a request, I may mail it even though it is not from where I live. If I’m traveling (within the U.S.) I will usually mail from that particular location if they have postcards.

2 Likes

Personally, although I’d never say it, I’m only disappointed if I get a card I can find at my local shop - I’d be disappointed to get a card showing only the US flag mailed from a rare country, for example.

I’d love to see something, anything, related to your country. Maybe the neighbor across the street has a cat - send me a postcard of a cat and tell me how your neighbor’s cat likes to sleep on your garden chair. Does your mother like red flowers? Send me a card with a kind of red flower found in your country and tell me it’s a flower found, even in the stores, in your country. Tell me how the card is connected to your country, and then I’m happy with almost anything. (I don’t like cards that are racist / anti-LGBTQIA2S+ / against any group of people / show violence)

4 Likes

I’m in an unforunate situation - I live in a small town with absolutely nothing to see. The most interesting things here are one exploded WWII bunker in a field and the tiny ethnograpic museum in the next town over (you won’t believe how many rubels (not to be confused with rubles, these are an outdated… ironing appliance of some sort?) the townsfolk have managed to find in their homes.

I’m kind of lucky, though, because I was born in Kyiv, and the town is in its metropolitan area, so I can cheat by sending Kyivan cards.

I don’t mind cards from somewhere other than the sender’s home, but I’d like them to explain why they picked the card - maybe it’s a souvenir from their travels, maybe they’d like to visit. Heck, I’m thinking of making some photos I took into postcards, but they’re all from elsewhere, not from my town - the ones I’d like to print the most were taken all over Western Ukraine.

1 Like

I personally don’t mind receiving a card that’s not from the sender’s country, as long as it’s not from MY country (unless it’s from a very specific thing that I particularly love? But that situation is terribly unlikely to happen, so I’d very much rather not get any postcards about my own country). I understand some people might have moved or visited other countries and got cards there, so I’ll be glad to get a card from a country you are not from as long as you have some personal relationship with that card: you lived there, or visited the country, or are very familiar with the country’s cuisine / culture / architecture… Any such thing.

And of course, if you purchase a non-touristic card from a shop that’s not in your country, I am not going to be the one that researches the postcard to find out if it’s in your country or not! That’s what international shipping is for and postcard e-shops offer it for a reason :joy:

2 Likes