Postcards from USA - when sender posts a postcard depicting another state

personally i don’t care at all. you could be from iceland and send me a card from indonesia and i wouldn’t mind. also, if the sender doesn’t mention it in their message i wouldn’t even know what state they are from? well maybe after i register the card but i would forget after 2 minutes.
if i ever receive any national park card at all i would be over the moon.

one time i received a dutch view card from russia, that was the only time i was slightly disappointment the card was from another country than where it was sent from.

2 Likes

I can send you one :wink: DM me if you’re interested!

1 Like

It’s okay for me receiving Hawaii card from Alaska.
However I like the territories card to be sent from the origin. Why? Because they have their own country code. They have their own representation at Olympics. They have their own representation at Miss Universe :rofl: etc… etc… etc…

2 Likes

It makes zero difference to me and I’m unlikely to even notice. I prefer the written side anyway.

1 Like

USA is a single country to me. Receiving a postcard depicting a different US state is like getting a card of Scotland from someone from Wales or a postcard of Helsinki from someone from Oulu. In other words it is perfectly fine :smile: All countries have some type of municipalities, some are large or culturally different too. I imagine China or Russia would have even more variety.

9 Likes

I always feel disappointed when I receive a postcard from a different country than where it was sent. But I don’t mind at all to receive a postcard from other parts of the same country. Even if you don’t live there and have never visited this place, you have a connection with it because it’s part of your own country.

4 Likes

We must disagree about this. I like to send cards made from photos I’ve taken all over; of course, I would not send European images to Europeans, etc. As for within my country, I do not ‘identify with’ scenes I have not experienced, such Denali park in Alaska. A card from Belize would reflect my experience more closely.

Receiving a postcard showing state the sender are not living in is NO problem, it´s still your country.
Also I may send postcard from northern part of my country even if I live in south - I show what my country have to offer.

2 Likes

National parks are national. They are federal land that belongs to all of us, regardless of what state they are located in, so I think being sent from anywhere in the US counts as “from origin” for national parks cards. I for one feel an intense personal connection to many I have never had the chance to actually visit, simply by having taken part in letter writing campaigns for their protection (from mining, et cetera) or donated money to organizations that work to protect them.

For cards not depicting federal land, I think it makes a huge difference whether it’s a card showing scenery that just happens to be in a given state, versus a card about that state. For example I would not send a map card or big letter card from a state other than my own, but I might send a card showing a waterfall that happens to be in a different state, even if it says “such and such falls, city, state” because the point is “this is a pretty waterfall” and not “this represents x state.”

When it comes to received cards, I’m just happy to get anything with a decent length message, and it’s a plus if the sender has some connection with the picture side, but if not, I don’t sweat it :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Interesting! I guess I can agree with you for the most part concerning the map/big letter cards. I have sent a few out of those sorts in the past because I had visited or had spent some time in that state.

1 Like

I’m glad to see this question asked as I’ve also wondered. I live within a half hour of three other states so I regularly pick up cards from the whole region just by going about my business. Plus my cards are postmarked in a different state than where I live since that is where the nearest sorting center is. I think the only way for me to mail something “from origin” is to stand in line at the local post office to get it hand cancelled. I’m happy to see so many people who say they are ok with any state :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t recall having run across this at all? I felt a bit awkward sending a card of an American site I’ve never visited which I’d received as part of a mystery assortment from a vendor; the foreign recipient (whose profile says nothing about preferences) seemed to like it.

1 Like

I’m in the same situation! I almost always send cards specific to my state, but then they are postmarked in another state. I hate it.

1 Like

This problem is new to me.

Germany has got 16 states.
I live in the state of Baden-Württemberg.
And usually I send a a card from here.

But I would not think it a criminal offence to send a card from Bavaria or North-Rhine-Westphalia or from Rhineland-Palatinate.

Is this really a problem, I wonder?

3 Likes

Good point, it seems that it might be a USA thing that is not applicable to other countries.

Hello!

I have a question about sending postcards. How do feel about postcrossers sending cards that are NOT from their area? For example, I’m in Pennsylvania but if I sent you a postcard featuring NYC would that bother you?

I see a lot of people requesting postcards from the sender’s hometown so that’s why I ask.

Thank you
Lisa

2 Likes

I would not mind receiving a postcard from another state at all. I often send cards from other states I have visited or lived in. There are some people who are more picky but as long as you send a card you’ve fulfilled your obligation. I try to meet people’s requests, but it’s not always possible.

2 Likes

Hello … to answer your question why not ask if someone collects city landscape’s . I think sometimes members ask for local highlights b/c they are interested in why we live in a certain area. Not much help am I ? :joy:

1 Like

The same issue was discussed recently here if you want to check it out

1 Like

I think most people ask for postcards from the city / region someone lives in as that also says something about the sender. Postcards with the capital of your country / state or some place that means something to you are also ok. Maybe you come from there or have visited it? Or it is very famous place in your country and you want to visit it.

1 Like