Postcards for Democracy: An Art Campaign

Check this out fellow Postcrossers!

Postcards for Democracy a collective art campaign in support of the USPS and its essential role in US elections has its first public showing. The exhibit is through August 8, 2021 at The Bob Rauschenberg Gallery at Florida Southwestern State College in Fort Myers, Florida. Open 11am-3pm Mon-Sat. Rauschenberg Gallery

“Pop artist and DEVO band member Mark Mothersbaugh collaborated with singer songwriter Beatie Wolfe and the resulting Gallery exhibition is expansive, immersive and participatory. The concept continues to be quite simple: create and mail your postcard design to 8760 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90069 to become part of this art demonstration and in doing so support USPS and democracy in the process.”

“The pair have received thousands of cards to date covering themes such as covid, democracy, capitalism, the environment, social injustice, science and even insomnia. Together these postcards (like the exhibition itself) form something of a time capsule – reflecting our collective experience personally, socially, societally, politically, and environmentally – while the archive expands with ongoing contributions.”

15 Likes

Brilliant idea! I love that it is about supporting the USPS & it’s crucial role in the elections! The ability for people to do a mail-in ballot was critical to the outcome of the election! Thanks for sharing this Heather!

2 Likes

I will send something out today. Cool idea, and thanks for bringing it to our attention. Anything that helps emphasize participation in our democracy is a worthwhile project!

I understand in Australia it is mandatory to vote if you are eligible to vote. Not sure I like coercion, but also I’m not keen on elections that bring less than 60% of the eligible voters out to cast their ballots either.

1 Like

You had me at Mark Mothersbaugh. :eyeglasses:

1 Like

Here’s two screenshots of an article on “Postcards for Democracy” that was published in the October issue of “The Postal Record.”

1 Like

Hey all. Is this still an active campaign? If so I’ll definitely get involved and send card in!
Thanks for this info