Postcard writing prompts - ideas welcome!

What do you normally write about on your postcards? I am 63 and I am getting better at writing smaller!

1 Like

What is on your grocery list?

2 Likes

I normaly prefer not to boring everybody with my family (slightly disabled person, caring about heavy disabled mum). I got an addresse of the girl, whose townā€™s name sounds like ā€œOld Frostā€ in Latvian. I told that. On card there were our swan sculptures in park, looking a bit like ā€œbrontosaursā€. I explained why there are those swans.
I keep the card with the castle, where an Italian writter Lampedusa wrote ā€œGepardā€- I keep that card for some Italian i futureā€¦
Something likte that. Individual and exclusive every time.
My first 5 cards are badly and boring written because I didnā€™t know then about, how it works at all. I will not do that again.

4 Likes

Those sound like perfectly fine things to write about to me. Iā€™ve only received 14 cards but thereā€™s been quite a variety of messages and I canā€™t say that any have been ā€œrightā€ or ā€œwrongā€, just different.

2 Likes

On my profile, I ask to write me about last thing that make you smile and, thanks to that, on almost every postcard I can read a little story about someoneā€™s day or something that has happened. I really enjoy reading it and I hope that it makes smile me and the sender :slight_smile:

I like to write about something related to the postcard - describe whatā€™s on the picture, where I bought it, write a legend (for example, when I send a postcard from KrakĆ³w, where I currently live, I often tell the legend of the Wawel dragon). Usually, the addressees were satisfied and wrote me long return messages that I really liked :sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Here is what I visualize when thinking about it:

• Random suggestions when we are checking the addresses that were given to us.
    or
  • Random suggestions appearing more often throughout the website
    or
  • a tab or a sub-tab on the Help or Explore tab on the website with a list of suggestions
    or
  • a button that will give us a random suggestion when clicked

Notes:

• When I say ā€œrandomā€, I mostly mean in the way they appear. I still like the idea of the community offering specific interesting suggestions;
  • I think that it would be nice to have more than one monthly suggestion. In my perspective the best way to offer some diversity would be having a little list that would vary every month;
  • I know that itā€™s not as easy to implement this buttons and things as it is for me to visualize them. Just trying my luck out here! :joy:
4 Likes

The 10 Questions and Tea Tag has some great ideas for what to write in your cards.

2 Likes

This website is an entire website full of questions to ask/answer: https://conversationstartersworld.com/

6 Likes

Hereā€™s a Question and Answer Tag that has some great ideas for what to write.

1 Like

I like hearing about different phrases/idioms/sayings in different languages!

2 Likes

Lovely idea, but I wouldnā€™t feel comfortable sharing that with a complete stranger

1 Like

Lolā€¦thereā€™s always one in the neighborhood :joy:

Poets & Writers Magazine has a section called The Time is Now that has writing prompts and exercises. You can find it at this link: https://www.pw.org/writing-prompts-exercises You can also sign up for a weekly prompt via e-mail. They have prompts for poetry, fiction and non-fiction. There are wonderful ideas.

A recent prompt encouraged you to choose a word where the ā€œfirst known useā€ occurred at a significant turning point or significant event in your life and write a poem about it. You can do that by using the Merriam-Websterā€™s Time Traveler tool at www.merriam-webster.com/time-traveler. Alt-rock was first used in 1982!

Hope this helps if you have postcard writers block!

3 Likes

This is such a neat idea! I immediately looked up 1982 as well (my birth year) and was surprised to see tiramisu mentioned as making its debut that yearā€¦ who knew? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh I like the favorite mug promptā€¦because all my mugs have stories :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love this. In 1968, the first occurrence of the word Bougie-as an adjective.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if a writing promt like this one existed before or not.
Itā€™s spring (already) and summer is coming. I propose to write about your countryā€™s flowers. Every countryā€™s floral world is unique. All flowers have different meanings there, there are also the traditions and believes related to flowers :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Interesting topic!

I have a list of what I enjoy in life and ended with:

ā€œSend me a postcard, which you think, will suits me after reading about me. Write me something what is meaningful to you at this moment of your life.ā€

For me the space on the back of the postcard is always too limited! That happened already when, writing a load of holiday postcards were a topic in nearly everybodyā€™s life, before internet and smartphones came into the worldā€¦I had penpals for years and was part of Woman Welcome Woman, which provided a list of addresses from different countries. Finding penpals went also through magazineā€™s and newspaperā€™sā€¦

Anyway, I usually write something about an item which I find in the profile of the Postcrosser or about the postcard I choose.

The same I do when registered a postcard, write something in return about what the sender shared with you or about the postcard itself.

5 Likes

One of my favorites is peoples main motivations in life.

Share an uncommon fear.

If you could be any non human what would you be and why?

1 Like

I drew an address this morning where I was asked to tell the recipient my impressions of their country. My husband and I both liked this idea so much that we immediately changed our profiles, though I fear some of the negative comments I might get! Hoping for positive impressions.

5 Likes