Postcard to member with empty or very short profile?

I see where you’re coming from, but I think personally you’re incorrect.

You’ve decided that anyone who doesn’t have a profile filled out is being lazy or careless, even though as mentioned earlier in the thread there are many reasons why someone might not fill out a profile.

It’s absolutely fine to find empty profiles annoying or disappointing, that’s valid. However, it takes all kinds of people to make a world and we can’t control everyone to behave in the ways we consider correct.

Not everyone wants the same things from Postcrossing, and not everyone enjoys the same aspects of Postcrossing. It is what it is.

I’ll also mention again that empty profiles are rare, and they are not breaking any rules.

Quite! And wouldn’t it be boring if we were all the same?

15 Likes

The beauty of life is that personal opinions are neither right or wrong, because they’re personal opinions. Personal thoughts are not facts. Evidence is fact.
People’s actions, or lack of actions, ie, writing a few sentences is just a matter of courtesy. You’re welcome to disagree.

However, if a postcrossers request nudity, or profanity, aren’t the community guidelines expected to be followed?

You know who can best answer that question, mental health care providers. What’s normal for the spider is chaos for the fly😉

Yes they are, but there’s no demand in the community guidelines that says you need a filled out profile. There is a request to do so.

I could change my profile right now to read “Hello, I live near Melbourne in Australia and collect postcards”. That also wouldn’t give you any information as to what kind of cards I might prefer, but it isn’t empty. Would that also be an issue for you?

3 Likes

Maybe now please kindly think your own attitude. Show courtesy to the empty profiles :slight_smile: I think you sound very judgemental. Some are having this as hobby. Some people get enough advice in their school or work, and maybe they are here to relax and be how they want to be, in their own way. If I have no motivation to write a profile, that’s enough reason. I don’t suddenly get motivated by someone telling to use Google translate, to me it’s the opposite. I only write what comes out of me head, because then I “know” what I write. (I have seen a profile where they write they don’t like postcards, which they corrected when I told about it. I have gotten a Hurray that Google translated they really didn’t like my postcard. Translated to English it turned they really liked it. Also, not all languages are there.)

I’m, not sure I understood this.
Are you asking would it be wrong to send nude, even when the receiver liked it?
I’m thinking guidelines are “general information”. But, then, a profile can give more freedom, like to write swear word in my language. I can do it, but I wouldn’t just to anyone. Same with nude cards.

3 Likes

Hello, i live near West Palm Beach in Florida and collect postcards.
What does that tell you about me? How are the wheels turning in your head? What possibilities you can find?

And maybe, as it was suggested by the originator of the post, it needs to be re-worded?
‘A society no matter it’s size, and purpose must strive for cohesiveness to comply with the majority of the groups needs…’

What :thinking: Are you quoting guidelines or someone else?
The “needs” are to have an address, postcard id, a postcard, also maybe stamp and pen.

If you have an urge to campaign about obligatory profile “about …” section, I think better place would be here: Suggestions - Postcrossing Community

2 Likes

But we can always send any card. Religious, ugly, and offensive, because we don’t know what’s offensive to the other. Or we don’t understand the profile.

Empty profile → they are not picky or demanding :slight_smile: look for the silver lining :cloud:

8 Likes

I think it’s very easy for people that speak English as a first language to make blatant and judgemental statements like “just use Google translate.”
If this site was in another language, like French as the example used above was, I’m not sure how many non-French speaking individuals would use the site. Partially out of “laziness,” but also partially out of uncertainity of using another language other than their own. That “laziness” is probably rather a manifestation of uncertainity.

People who speak English as a first language are dealt a very good deck of cards considering it is the lingua franca.

It’s rather unwelcoming to say anyone who does not speak xyz language cannot use a website for a unique, international project. Sure, the guidelines say you need to be able to use the site, but if you can register and send cards regardless of a language barrier, that’s already using the site.
And since they also say an individual should use their profile, to me, this could simply mean sending and registering. And not writing a long text.

24 Likes

Anyways, I used to dislike blank profiles and I think I made a post somewhere above a while ago.

Some member posted here that they see such profiles as a blank canvas. It really got me thinking and now I don’t mind them at all. Much better than picky profiles.

At the end of the day, we are just sending pieces of paper to random people so I don’t think it’s worth getting too frustrated about, especially when it’s not an all too common occurance :slight_smile:

22 Likes

I like empty profiles. It means that I can send and write whatever I want! :smiley::blush:

13 Likes

Yes. Recommended means optional. As I said…

4 Likes

There are several discussions here about profiles, that are filled the “wrong way”. Too long or too short, too picky or without any preferences, with many mistakes, etc. - people always manage to find something to quibble over. I wouldn’t be surprised if the member with over 10k postcards just got pissed one day and erased all the data from it’s profile.

20 Likes

Actually is not optional, per grammarhow.com

Strongly recommend should be used when discussing a recommendation that is advised to a powerful degree (i.e., “strongly recommend that you don’t do that).

To my English understanding that above means there still is option not to do it.

Also, there is no wording “strongly recommended” in guidelines (to have a profile written). (Or is there :grin: I didn’t see.)

You are so new here still. Instead of trying to force members into the mold you want, look around and try to enjoy the different styles of profiles and persons there are.

But, you can report the profile if you feel it’s against the guidelines.

1 Like

Empty profiles belong to real people who exist.

All anyone needs to do to deserve kindness and good will is exist.

There is no problem with empty profiles.

If the user has an icon uploaded or any favorites, that can guide me in choosing a card. If not, I send something I would love to receive. If it’s a new member, I send something I hope makes them want to stay and keep playing Postcrossing.

24 Likes

A recommendation is optional, regardless its strength. Otherwise, the word “required” would be used instead. Are you trying to suggest that when someone strongly recommends that you go get a COVID vaccine or go to eat at a restaurant that it is mandatory for you to go and do that?

This line of reasoning is bananas. :banana: If you honestly do believe that an empty profile is breaking the guidelines (which are different than rules btw), the logical step is to report it. What are you hoping to gain from this particular discussion?

3 Likes

Wonderful way of thinking.

A very Namaste insight.

1 Like

This isn’t a matter of personal opinion. Either we are allowed to post an empty profile here or not. There is a right and wrong to this issue. You have repeatedly suggested that people who do this are “breaking the rules”.

I am hoping to make you stop debating this. I am tired of listening to people say that the way that PC works isn’t right/good/fair because it is not how they would run it. I think it is a slap in the face to admin and to long-time members, which neither of us are. I also think that criticizing someone for the way they express themselves in their profile merely because you don’t like it is rude and lacks empathy.

1 Like

The way you have phrased these posts has certainly made it sound like you are saying that you believe posting something in your profile is mandatory. None of this is phrased as opinion.

That is all.