Postcard Design: Total Eclipse

Total eclipse will be visible in Eastern Canada on 8 April 2024, between Niagara Falls (ON) and Bonavista (NL). I plan on sending postcards to these two towns for postmarking on this phenomenal day, thus I have drawn an illustration quickly. What do you think about it? Does it look good on a postcard?

Nevermind the scientific accuracy. There is no real photograph taken from this perspective … This is another artist’s rendition posted on Canadian Space Agency’s website:

This is the stamp recently issued by Canada Post that will be paired with the illustration:

[Notice that the stamp mentions Niagara Falls and Bonavista.]

P.S Niagara Falls has a pictorial cancel, but Bonavista no longer carries one:

[Edited]
I am releasing this illustration (licensed under Creative Commons) to the world. You may download the latest image files (in 2 different sizes) from my Dropbox if you should like to print your own postcard(s) and collect the postmark(s) yourself:

The Canadian stamps of $0.92 in value are sold in a booklet of 10 (so minimum order = $9.2 plus taxes).

It’s getting longer than usual to get the postmarking result back, so I would recommend those in Canada to factor in at least 10 days for one-way mail delivery (that is to say, your postmarking request should be sent from somewhere in Canada to these 2 towns no later than 28 March).

21 Likes

Hello Linda! I think it’s really great ! :grin::+1:

1 Like

It’s pretty! Well done! They’re both nice but I prefer yours to the website one :new_moon:

1 Like

Really nice, thank you for sharing :blush:

1 Like

I am releasing this illustration (licensed under Creative Commons) to the world. You may download the latest image files (in 2 different sizes) from my Dropbox if you should like to print your own postcard(s) to collect the postmark(s) yourself:

The Canadian stamps of $0.92 in value are sold in a booklet of 10 (so minimum order = $9.2 plus taxes).

It’s getting longer than usual to get the postmarking result back, so I would recommend those in Canada to factor in at least 10 days for one-way mail delivery (that is to say, your postmarking request should be sent from somewhere in Canada to these 2 towns no later than 28 March).

For those who are artistically curious:

• Part of Earth’s clouds is AI-generated (Photoshop Beta), and another part taken from this NASA photo.
  • Moon’s surface texture is taken from this NASA’s photo.
  • Background stars are generated by noises and painted using special brush.

P.S. Just don’t ask me to sign the copy you print. As I don’t get to inspect the print quality, I can’t endorse it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the head up!

Yup, so long as you don’t use their images for commercial purpose, designing your own postcards using their images is fine.

1 Like

Your illustration is really well done. I like her a lot!
Little information!
In 2017, the US released a stamp that reacts to heat. If you place your finger on the solar eclipse, the moon becomes visible underneath.

7 Likes

I really like your illustration, it’s wonderful!
Congratulations! :blush:

1 Like

I have decided to offer this digitally painted postcard in a lottery. The cards still have to be printed, but it shouldn’t take too long …

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/lottery-total-eclipse-2024-2-winners-for-the-moment/794008

4 Likes

Your design is mesmerizing. I feel like I will float there.

1 Like

I love your design!

1 Like

Great design! :clap:

1 Like

Awesome card and i loved this stamp, science on stamps are always cool!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Do you know if that stamp is still available?

I got the stamp from a postcrosser from Phoenix. She said that this stamp is no longer available. Since the stamp is from 2017, I think so too. But I don’t know what it’s like in the USA. There may still be old stocks or reprints. Maybe the post office can help?

1 Like

It’s not available from USPS. Maybe check with an American Philatelic Association member dealer on eBay. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fake stamps for sale online.

I’m using space stamps on my eclipse cards.

1 Like

@southernwonder

For American stamps, you may also find some dealers on HipStamps.com, which I think has less counterfeits than eBay.

1 Like

@delda Thank you! I will check that out.