Postal news stories

In a quick scan I couldn’t see a thread capturing fun or interesting postal news stories.

Here’s one from the USA, in which a postcard sent in 1943 just found it’s way into the mainstream:

6 Likes

marvelous :slight_smile:

I came across this article which I just have to share here. One never knows if a descendant is around.

2 Likes

my cousin loves hunting for people and/or their relatives in cases like this. she’s on the hunt as we speak :wink:

1 Like

BOOM! found relatives. the video in the article gives the post office’s phone number and my cousin will call them tomorrow :slight_smile: (we’re both genealogy dorks and looked at ancestry.com and found obituaries listing descendants, etc etc…)

6 Likes

:trophy:!

I really think this type of occurrence is due to someone finding/buying an old card and dropping it into the mail on purpose.

Someone should call that postal employee, then someone call the paper and let them know they found them from a clue on Postcrossing. Then the paper would be, what’s postcrossing and then viola. They’d discover what postcrossing is and probably write an article on that.

1 Like

but this one had a one-cent stamp and the cancellation mark said “buy war bonds” etc.

1 Like

I just called them, and the man who answered says the card has been delivered! :smiley: looked for an update on the newspaper’s website but there isn’t one so far.

1 Like

It is easily possible to acquire old postcards with original messages, stamps and postmarks on them. I have a large collection of them, myself.

Still, it’s a nice thing if one of these gets reunited with the descendants of the original, and it’s a fun bit of news.

I’ve heard of these undelivered mail stories before, but it had never occurred to me that someone might have just bought an old, previously sent postcard and dropped it in the mail. However, I suspect a lot, if not most, of the stories are true; sometimes, letters and postcards get lost in the nooks and crannies of post offices only to be discovered months, or even years, later. Post offices even have various rubber stamps that they impress unto such letters; these stamps might say, for example; “Delivery delayed; lost in equipment.”

1 Like

This story of late postcards n today’s news isn’t so extreme, but still left everyone wondering why the cards were 7 years late!

2 Likes

From today’s news:

2 Likes

And another one in today’s news:

1 Like
1 Like

Avoid Using Blue Mailboxes During the Holidays, USPS Warns (yahoo.com)

3 Likes

A father’s diary finds its way to his daughter five years later thanks to a postman’s dedication.

Tiare has little memory of his father who passed away in France in 2011. In 2018, a family’s friend found his diary and sent it to Tiare, but she never received it. Actually it did arrive in French Polynesia, but the parcel was so damaged that both the recipient’s and the sender’s address were illegible, so it ended up in the lost property office.
Then, one day, John, who is in charge of postmen and postwomen at Papeete post office, stumbled upon the diary and decided to search it for a clue. He eventually found Tiare and contacted her by phone last month to ask her if she knows the person whose name is written on the cover of the notebook. And that is how Tiare finally received her father’s diary.

2 Likes