Postage labels v.s. stamps: what is your opinion?

To answer your questions:

1. Does your country have similar things like the postage label vending machines?

Yes, and it was actually designed with convenience in mind.

1. Do you prefer postage labels or stamps? Why?

As a philatelist, I prefer stamps for sure, because I feel that you can learn so much about a country from a stamp as well. Just something as simple as the country’s local name for the country, or national costumes. I also feel that this is not only a commemoration of the country’s events or culture, but also an avenue for stamp artists to showcase their work.

1. What is your feeling when you receive a postcard with postage label? Do you find stamp as an important element of postcard?

I feel a little sad, of course, since I would very much prefer stamps. But that also comes with the understanding that not everyone has access to stamps, and not everyone has the same level of love for stamps like I do. I do feel that the stamps give the postcard an additional touch, but this is Postcrossing after all and the objective is to send postcards, so you can’t fault anyone for using postage labels anyway.

For me, stamps are rather accessible through our post offices, but they usually only sell the definitives or limited series of stamps. I will head down to the philatelic store to get more series of stamps with a range of themes, so that I can try to match them with the postcards I send too.

A postcard is each Postcrosser’s work of art in that sense, so to each our own, but I would try to use stamps as a decorative element to the Postcrossers I send to. :grin:

We don’t have vending machines. We do have a system where you pay for the postage online, they give you a code and you put that on the card in the space where you would normally put the stamp. I think it’s kind of cool, and convenient.

Well, I prefer to use stamps, because they are bascially like stickers. :laughing:

I’m fine with receiving cards with a postage label. I am not a philatelist and if someone has somehow personalised the backside in another way, that is great too.

If for some reason I wasn’t able to buy stamps, or they would make it cheaper to send a card with a code, I would probably spend more time decorating the backside. :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 - Yes, there are postage vending machines and I find them very convenient. The labels here in Singapore actually look pretty cool as they have a small design on them. The ones in the UK had at the very least the Queen and sometimes some other design too.
The ones in Italy don’t have any design and are pretty big, I once had a written card and it was hard to find postage for Asia (a common problem in Italy unless you are really into stamps and know where to get them, and I am only ever there for short periods so I knew nothing about it - things were different and easier when I was doing correspondence in the past century) and the label at the post office (not a machine, way too advanced for Italy ;)) was waaay too big so I had to get myself an envelope and paste a gazillion stamps to make up the cost. Anyway…

2 - I don’t really have a preference. Stamps are “normal” and more traditional and labels are convenient and can be kind of cool. I find it ingenious when they have a design on them! I guess I am easily pleased… :laughing:)

3 - I don’t have a feeling about it. I often use labels myself if the recipient doesn’t show a love for stamps, because I find them convenient and as I said the ones in Singapore just look kind of cool to me (I have photos which I will try to edit into this post later).
I personally do not care about stamps, they are a means to an end to me: they show that postage was paid to carry the mail to the intended place. Ok, if they are pretty I will think wow, pretty, and that’s it. I do understand that people appreciate them as historical and aesthetic items, and for a lot of other reasons, but sometimes I find it stressful when Postcrossers put a lot of emphasis on them. Sure, if I have nice stamps I will gladly use them for those who love stamps, and I will spare them the label (unless it is all I have, but I have learnt to stock up on stamps at the philatelic store too), but while I understand it can be seen as an important part of the postcard, it is not what Postcrossing is about (to be clear, I mean those rare ones whose profiles are all about the stamps).
In its own way, to me the label tells a story too - not as elaborately as a stamp, but ultimately it doesn’t matter to me.

Incidentally, I very rarely received postcards with labels on them. I even feel pretty bad when my cards have lots of really cool stamps on them as it is kind of wasted on me! :joy:

I just received a postcard from Azores with a postage label used. I already have 11 postcards with Azores with beautiful stamps used. So I am not disappointed but I would be if it is the only postcard that I have received from Azores. Stamps and stamp cancellations make a postcard more interesting for me as these will vary but a postal label may be a standard printout. Also I found some postal label ink fades away over time.

4 Likes

I think here they only put those labels on if you got to the post office with a parcel. Luckly we still have plenty of beautiful stamps available.

1 Like

Yeah here in portugal we have labels like the one @SLLiew showed, but also some with different designs sold in automatic machines and I found some people like those.
See an example here: Gum vs. Self-adhesive: Lick or stick?

Personally I prefer stamps but I understand it’s easier for some people to use labels, and it made me discover some different and interesting. :grinning:

There were label machines in Poland, at least at some post offices but they were available for a short period of time and were phased out a long time ago.

For now, we have stamps, available in post offices or in the online shop. If there are no stamps available at a post office (it happens, rarely, but it does), the postal worker will just write on the card/envelope that the correct amount was paid.

From next year, no stamps will be allowed on registered mail, I think we will be getting some labels for these items but maybe it will only be the barcode that is already in use.

• Does your country have similar things like the postage label vending machines?

We have vending machines, but they don’t sell labels. What you can get there is a special kind of stamp which has a colourful design preprinted on it and the value will be added when you purchase it. I never use them, although they are kind of alright. Labels also exist, but aren’t used a lot by people, rather by companies.

• Do you prefer postage labels or stamps? Why?

I clearly prefer stamps, because they can be incredibly beautiful and interesting. I’m often fascinated by the different designs.

• What is your feeling when you receive a postcard with postage label? Do you find stamp as an important element of postcard?

I have to admit that labels are a bit disappointing, but then I know that not everyone cares (and labels do the job) or has easy access to stamps. It’s not something I get upset about, it’s just the initial thought of “What a pity!” - and then I move on.

We have these postmarks with postage and cityview in Guangzhou, China. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

14 Likes

That looks great! It is unique and represents the culture. Unlike the Hong Kong one, which is only plain white :face_with_head_bandage:
Actually if the postage labels had been better designed, I wouldn’t have been that disappointed.

1 Like

Does your country have similar things like the postage label vending machines?

We have labels you can buy at the counter or print them yourself online. Our vending machines sell variable value stamps with these two pretty nice designs:

Do you prefer postage labels or stamps? Why?

For private mail I strongly prefer stamps, because they tell something about the country. And they’re decorative, too. Mostly labels are a lot bigger than stamps (but depends on the country) and therefore take quite some precious space on a small postcard.

What is your feeling when you receive a postcard with postage label? Do you find stamp as an important element of postcard?

I’m a bit sad when they’re with labels as it feels as something is missing. For me stamps are an important element of a postcard.

6 Likes

These self service kiosks in US Post Offices print mailing labels. Unlike normal stamps, the labels from these kiosks come in only a single black and white design.

When I send postcards I prefer to use stamps. That said, the post office was so busy during the holidays that self-service kiosks were the only reasonable option. As far as receiving postcards, I don’t have a preference.

What is your feeling when you receive a postcard with postage label? Do you find stamp as an important element of postcard?

I have no preference for the cards I receive. I think it’s interesting to see how the mail runs, and these automated labels are a big part of that.

1 Like

I am a stamp collector so I am biased on this topic. Labels are disappointing to me, if I receive them on a letter I recycle it.

I think there are some but I have never seen them in my area. Canada has many franchise and Canada Post-run outlets to buy stamps, they are very widely available.

I’m sad when I receive a label. For me, stamps are a very important element, sometimes even more important than the card. Using something other than a label takes more effort. If we, who are exchanging mail, do not use stamps, they will not be circulated or even printed as frequently. To combat the risk of labels, I always suggest buying in bulk and then having a nice selection available (to save you a trip for a single stamp/label). Postal rates are published online so it’s easy to know what you need to include on a postcard.

We have the black and white vending machine for labels, but I don’t use them. They are not pushed on us either.

I much prefer to receive postcards with stamps on them. They add a great deal to the charm of the card. I like to customize them to the recipient’s interests when I can.

1 Like

I mean in Denmark you can purchase a twelve-character code you write on your postcard/letter/parcel, and then you can drop it in the mail. It’s not even a label :joy:. I only use them for very boring mail to people I know, and never ever for postcrossing!

3 Likes

I have not seen vending machines with stamps for quite a few years. I was going to buy some stamps today and was surprised that they cannot be bought due to corona regulations. You can send a parcel but cannot buy stamps … I was offered to pay online i.e. I could get a number, write it on a postcard and voila. A nice girl couldn’t understand that I simply wanted physical stamps. I finally bought all I needed online and have to wait till Wednesday to send the cards :slight_smile: Btw, our stamps abroad are going to be 33 DKK (€ 4.40) from the first of January.

We have this too, it’s really the worst option to send private mail :frowning:

2 Likes

I totally agree. Right now in Germany it can only be used domestically and I haven’t yet received one, but I have received them from other countries. The first time I reported it to Postcrossing because I felt sure it was some sort of scam!

I have read that some collectors “value” that the code is written by hand, but I think that would be true only if Angela Merkel or somebody personally wrote the code there. I mean, really…they wrote the rest of the postcard, too!

I’m not a stamp collector, and I don’t stress when I get a label or one of those “personal” stamps where you upload a photo of your lovely baby grandchild or your dog or cat or whatever, but I would much rather receive a standard stamp or even a stamp from the vending machine. To me it just looks nicer, somehow.

1 Like

I’ve gotten mail with the twelve-character code before. I agree that this is even more disappointing than a label. But I suppose if you’re quarantined and have no way to get to a label machine, let alone some place that sells actual stamps, getting a code online is the best that you can do.

3 Likes

In The Netherlands it’s a 9-character code forming a nice square. I was SO fascinated when I learned about them (years ago) and when I signed up here I actually considered using it for Postcrossing, but quickly learned others don’t love them as much as I do :joy::sweat_smile: Luckily I have a stock of stamps now, basic ones but better than the codes it seems!

4 Likes