Postage Increase in USA

It might not be available for online purchase anymore, but panels might be available at the post offices. Not sure how many were printed.

Same thing happened a while ago in Germany with a David Bowie stamp. It was sold out online incredibly fast!

2 Likes

I love these stamps, but 10,000 is a lot…

I checked the online site this morning and they are showing you can now order them

1 Like

The US Postal Service has announced upcoming price increase, effective January 22, 2023.

See Proposed Postal Increases

(we were expecting this, only in December.)

1 Like

Fellow American Postcrossers - Stock up on forever stamps! I read an article recently that said the USPS plans on increasing postage every 6 months, on different items each time. It’s crazy - they say there’s less 1st class mail, so the price has to go up. Then less people use 1st class mail, so the price goes up again. Can there be any doubt that the USPS is run by the government!?!
Thankfully, I’ve hoarded enough stamps to support my Postcrossing habit for years!

11 Likes

It’s not going to really make that much of a difference because they have already announced that they will be increasing the price of stamps twice a year from here on out. The less postage and services that people use with the USPS, the more they’re just going to increase the costs of everything across the board. If they were run like any other private corporation they would have gone bankrupt years ago but they are too big to fail because they are backed by Congress and three, that’s right I said Three, labor unions.

4 Likes

I’ve been using vintage stamps for this reason. You can usually find a ton for cheap! I got 60 dollars worth of 5 cent-13 cent stamps for only $60 recently. :slight_smile:
You may have to send your postcards in envelopes, but it makes it feel more personal!

1 Like

I’ve been saying this for the past 6 months :rofl: spiral of increasing prices leads to something at the end, and hopefully that never happens

2 Likes

I already buy stamps in excess and my father always encourages me by saying "Stamps are a good investment ". I can see myself buying more stamps for years to come before the increase :exploding_head:.

3 Likes

Price increases suck. I am worried it will happen here as well. :frowning:

1 Like

Not surprised at all. The USPS is a circus and the chief guy there is a political hack. As @anon4239658 pointed out fewer and fewer people are using their services. With a few mouse clicks, you can pay your bills. They’ve gotten into business outside of their core business. Imagine you are 5th in line at the post office with two clerks. One of those clerks is handling passport applications. Ugh.

Moreover, they have the perfect solution to drive business to their competitors. Starting Oct. 2, they increased prices on package shipping by $1.00-2.00. If they didn’t have custody of mail delivery, they’d lose that business too.

Lastly, the USPS will continue to lose money because they refuse to act on cost-saving features. One example: eliminate Saturday mail delivery. That would result in many millions of $$$ being saved. But no…let’s raise prices. Senseless…

4 Likes

The USPS is losing money, but not all of its problems were caused by themselves.

For one, when Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 requiring that the USPS prepay retiree benefits for the next 50 years (yes, that means they are prepaying for people who have not joined them yet!),. To make matters worse, there was also a price cap on services like 1st class mail. Both things cumulated in the USPS losing money fast. Prior to this law, they were making a small profit.

More information here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL8g0W9gAQ

Yes, it is true that there are many shortcomings to the USPS, but to be fair to them, you can’t cut off their foot and expect them to not limp.

On a side note, I do believe that the postal system should be expanded to include, say banking services. Many rural places are underserved.

TLDR: Yes, the USPS can be improved. It isn’t strictly their fault that they suck though. Support them by using the postal system

9 Likes

It doesn’t look as though this will change much (for me) in terms of typical layout: two Forevers plus one 20¢, or two 10¢, will be $1.46; I’m fine with the extra cent overpayment.

Thinking of getting an assortment of 25¢ stamps to use two on domestic cards (2¢ over again okay with me).

3 Likes

Just wanted to remind my fellow Americans, yet another increase in prices will happen soon. Buy your stamps on or before the 21st of January. The forever stamps go from 60 to 63 cents begining the 23rd. The cost of sending a Post Card to another country goes from $1.40 to $1.45.

6 Likes

Domestic postcard rate increases from 44¢ to 48¢ as well.

I just bought 6 sheets of International Forevers this morning!

Wow. Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah, right now, I’m using 2 forevers and a vintage 20¢ from my supply. Odd thing is,using Forevers purchased before the increase, and using the 19¢ stamps (2 sheets of 100) from my supply, then sending a postcard will actually cost me a penny less after the increase. But will definitely buy a couple more sheets of forevers and maybe a roll of domestic postcard stamps before the 21st.
I don’t know how it might fit in with your postal stamp strategy, but there are also 40¢ stamps available on USPS dot com. Maybe one of those plus a 5¢t plus a 3¢ on a domestic card.

1 Like

There is a 40¢ stamp featuring a fox. My plan for domestic cards in most cases would be two 25¢ as I purchased 100 of those with many left.

2 Likes

The additional ounce price isn’t going to increase I believe, and will stay at 24¢. To make 63¢ you could do two “additional ounces”, two 10¢, and two 5¢. If your envelope has that much real estate.
A fox, two pears and a coffeepot could also do. (40 + 10*2 + 3)
(Can you tell I really like the new school bus 24¢ stamp? :laughing: )

3 Likes