Places to visit? Melbourne and Sydney

Hello all, I am currently in Australia at the moment. It’s my first time, and I need suggestions on where to visit around Melbourne and Sydney.

1 Like

When in Sydney if you have the time I would recommend a day trip to Katoomba to see the Three Sisters and other nearby formations of the Blue Mountains (they are much less blue in winter but still beautiful). It’s quite touristy but nevertheless worthwhile.

1 Like

I had a brilliant visit in 2019.
Definitely recommend a trip to the Blue Mountains, which is an easy train ride from Sydney. I also loved ferry hopping around Sydney harbour. I am pretty sure that the same puplic transport card worked for trains and ferries in the Sydney area.

I took a day tour from Melbourne to Philip Island to see the penguins and other wildlife -one of the highlights of my trip.

I’m sure that local Postcrossers will have other recommendations, but these are two from a fellow traveller.
Have a great trip.

1 Like

Same Opal card in Sydney on all public transport, same Myki in Melbourne. Although you don’t have to get an Opal card if you have a contactless payment card (Visa Amex or Mastercard). Mykis are still required in Melbourne, they cost $6 ($3 concession) plus the fares.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m actually going to Phillip Island in a few days and hopefully it lives up to its hype!

1 Like

I’ve found that some of the tram routes are free and directly upfront the place I’m staying at, which is very convenient for getting around.

Cowes post office on Phillip Island had a “Penguin Parade” pictorial postmark at one time which may still be in use.

1 Like