Philatelic advice for a trip to the Åland Islands 🇦🇽

Ciao! Hello to all Ålandic and Finnish postcrossers! :aland_islands:

My name is Mauro, I’m 30 years old and I come from Cesena, Italy. I hope I’m writing in the right section of the forum, I’m not very familiar with it.

On the afternoon of Tuesday 9 July 2024 I will take a little trip to the Åland Islands and Mariehamn. I will arrive by Ferry from Stockholm at around 14:15 (2:15 pm) and leave at around 22:30 (10:30 pm) to go to Helsinki.

Also to visiting the Capital, I also plan to write and send postcards to friends and family. So, if possible, I would like to ask if anyone can give me advice on where to buy postcards and stamps. And also where can I find the Post Office in Mariehamn, and what are the opening hours.

In addition to philatelic advice, I would also appreciate recommendations on places for dinner to taste the typical cuisine of the Island. I will be traveling alone, so if anyone wants to join, they are welcome.

Grazie mille! Thank you and greetings from Italy! :love_letter:

3 Likes

Hi Mauro!

Have a nice trip to Mariehamn and Helsinki! :aland_islands: :finland:

In Mariehamn there is a post office right in the centre: Nygatan 6 (in the corner of Nygatan 6 and Torggatan 4). They are open 9.30-17.00 on weekdays and sell a variety of stamps and postcards. If you want to spare some money, ask for domestic priority stamps (2,80 €), they are enough to send abroad in economy class.

In Mariehamn visit the café Svarta Katten (Norragatan 15) and taste a Ålandic pancake! :pancakes:

In Helsinki there is a post office in the city centre too: Elielinaukio 2 F, they are open 8.00-20.00 on weekdays, 10.00-18.00 on weekends. In addition, bookshops, supermarkets (S-market, K-market, but not Lidl) and R-kiosks sell stamps. Again, if you want to save some money, ask for domestic stamps, a domestic stamp is enough to send abroad in economy class.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for all these beautiful and precious advice. You are really kind :bouquet:

Henriikka already mentioned where the post office is located. Svarta Katten is also an excellent and idyllic café.

Your visit is short, but Mariehamn is a small town. You will have time to do and see a lot.

I recommend visiting the Åland Cultural History Museum, where a summer-long exhibition on Ålandic stamps has just opened today. Åland got its own stamps exactly 40 years ago. More information about the exhibition can be found at: Bilden av Åland - en drömresa genom frimärken | Ålands Museum

Best of all, if you leave your postcards at the museum, they will be stamped with a special exhibition postmark.

You can find postcards at the following places:

• Mariehamns Bokhandel (bookstore) Torggatan 14
  • Emmaus (second-hand shop) Strandgatan 20
  • Visit Åland (tourist info) Telegrafen, Torggatan 8
  • SALT Konsthantverk (local artisan products), Sea Quarters, Österleden 110

All these places, as well as the museum and the post office, are within a very short distance of each other, just a few minutes’ walk.

I also recommend visiting the Maritime Museum. It is one of the best museums in Finland and also has a good selection of postcards for sale. https://sjofartsmuseum.ax

For cafés, the most idyllic are Svarta Katten mentioned in Henriikka’s message https://www.svartakatten.ax, and also Bagarstugan https://bagarstugan.ax.

You will surely find a restaurant to your liking; here are some options:

If you would like to have a small Postcrossing meetup with locals, feel free to contact @Anna-Hannele - she might be busy in Summer, but maybe she can help you.

Enjoy your visit to Åland!

2 Likes

Thank you very much, I’m sure your advice will also be very useful. I’m sure it will be a nice trip :sunflower: