People who haven't logged in for a long time

Well that I would’ve reported to the Postcrossing staff! That’s just plain rude and against the rules!

16 Likes

I did, I don’t know if anything was ever done about it. I got my sending slot back but it was still annoying for that to happen.

3 Likes

Yeah that account in my option should’ve been suspended for a while. There has to be some consequence to not playing by the rules on purpose…

8 Likes

Sure these kinds of thing can happen, but I would never first think this is the case, if someone didn’t get my card. Are they (non registers) expecting every one to ask if they got the card so they can start their black mailing process?

It’s not very likely they will get all their cards from their wish list, so I believe this person will look suspicious of getting too little cards, and their account will be deleted.

If your card is still expired, you can see their profile and how many cards they gotten, or if they left Postcrossing.

In this kind of cases, I think Postcrossing team could register it, if there’s proof she’s got the card (the message), and if they’re blackmailing you to send another, they should be kicked out of this project. Also I would not hesitate to write their user name, so everyone should know. Maybe not what’s recommend, so don’t do it, but, maybe it would let others share their experience too.

I think it would be easy for the Postcrossing team to put their account on inactive until they register the card.

So sorry that happened to you @Malfunction13 :frowning_face:

6 Likes

I think every Postcrosser experiences this sooner or later… I also find it frustrating, especially if I’ve chosen a great card for a “quitter” and the card is lost. :expressionless: I have to admit it had crossed my mind to send less special cards to newbies, in case that… :grimacing: But of course this wouldn’t be fair, so I send the card that matches the profile best. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh it makes me so angry to read that, I would have raised hell until that person became reasonable or was kicked out of postcrossing. I cannot stand demanding people (I barely tolerate wishlists when they’re not accompanied by a friendly profile) and being pleased and getting stuff from your shopping list is not the point of Postcrossing at all.

4 Likes

Perhaps the system should be tweaked so if someone does not log in for, say 180 days, cards travelling to them are automatically registered.

13 Likes

I have suggested that already a few times and nothing is done. We active Postcrossers just keep spending money which is totally wasted.

4 Likes

Isn’t this a good thing? It shows they send cards, and they should then get cards too, and that’s why you got their address.

There might be a reason mail is slow to them or they are/were inactive, and only sent cards.
There has been things slowing mail before covid too, like mail strikes etc.

This doesn’t tell much, because countries have different travelling times.
Did it take 6-9 months to register each card, or did they have a pause on registering cards? Maybe they were inactive?

Also, remember, there might be someone/someones looking at your profile, having a card travelling to you, wondering what’s up and why don’t you register their card, when you register everyone else’s card.

(By the way, in your profile you write "If you feel like the card you sent to me is taking too long or got lost, please message me :slight_smile: " I wonder what is the point in this? You know you aren’t supposed to register cards you don’t get, right?)

4 Likes

What would this benefit?
The money is gone anyway. When the card is expired you already got a new slot.

Edit. I hope that if this kind of system ever comes, we are able to choose whether the cards are registered. I don’t want it look like the card arrives, if it didn’t.

4 Likes

I didn’t say mail is taking two years.

What 50 people wasted their money?

Any member is allowed to be inactive, for many years if they choose so, and then become active again. There is nothing wrong in it, or negative.
Do you understand this part? (What the inactive means.) Then they can send card, and not receive. Or they can not send card at all. But if they send, and not receive, there will be a gap.

No I don’t remember last time you wrote. And I don’t care about it, as I answered to you recent post.

Everyone can share their opinion, newbie or a veteran member :slight_smile:

Yes, and I think you found it yourself now, seeing the way you edited your post :wink: (isn’t it nice to be thought the worse of…)

I know there are members who don’t play by the rules, like everywhere in life, but I simply see it wrong when people doom others be foul players just because they have a pause.

3 Likes

Yes. So what?
Do you really think Postcrossing keeps sharing their address for four years, even though not one card arrived? No.

Here is about the inactive state:
https://www.postcrossing.com/help/how-does-the-inactive-state-work

and:

"Sign in regularly to maintain your account active.

Accounts which are not used are set to inactive automatically so that they are not selected to receive postcards."

(Edit: I added the link because for me it seems you don’t understand this inactive part. When a member joins, there is no obligation to keep sending cards regularly :slight_smile: )

6 Likes

What 50 cards?
Where do you see their address was given 50 times and when? You can’t say they have 50 unregistered cards, when there’s a possibility there is not.

I would say they were inactive between 2019 - August 2021.

If they are/were inactive, they can have many many more sent than recieved.

If they don’t set it, Postcrossing team will. If they log in real quick, they can still be inactive, but if not, then they are active. You could report any profile that seems suspicious to you. The Postcrossing team will see if there are travelling cards to them, and how long, and if there are unnormally many unregistered cards.

2 Likes

When can I do this? I’m not sure if can put screenshots on here. I would like to sent them per PM to you, so you can see it yourself, blacked out of course

You can ask helps from Postcrossing team here:

https://www.postcrossing.com/contact

And I think you can add screenshot here, if the member stays unidentified.

3 Likes

I do not understand this discussion. People can be inactive and send cards but not able to receive cards, as is explained now a couple of times. You can not know how many cards are traveling to the receipient, as that information isn’t available to you, only to the staff.

Maybe it’s the language barrier, but I’m finding this discussion to become very unfriendly. If you have a problem with a profile, take it up with the staff in the main page under the help section. They will look into it for you. But as previously stated is very likely the person has been sending cards but was on inactive status so couldn’t receive cards. Now they probably logged in again and made their ages available to be given out again.

Again I don’t understand your comments about 50 cards, but I will be flagging this discussion now for the staff to look at.

12 Likes

I will turn my profile inactive on Sunday. I have 20 cards travelling and most of them will be received after Sunday, I reckon. So I will be due to ~20 cards in May when I will turn my profile active again. Maybe the situation is something similar with the user that @FraeuleinK is talking about. With longer period of time of course.
I myself don’t see anything fishy there. And I really hope that here won’t be anyone writing about me next May. :thinking:

11 Likes

I was planning on setting my account to inactive at some point in the future, if I have to move to a remote area because of work (and still send postcards, if possible).

But the discussion taking place on this topic makes me very worried that when I resume to being active again and people get my address, I may have to put on a disclaimer on my profile stating what’s happening with my send/received postcards and my non active status.

The bottom line is, if you get assigned an address, it means that this person is due a postcard. Therefore what you should do is SEND that postcard. Everything else is just assumptions that don’t really end up in a safe conclusion.

18 Likes

Agapara, you sum up the situation perfectly- I went inactive for around one year while still sending cards, partly because I was overseas, and eventually sent one hundred more than I had received. When I reactivated my account I almost immediately got a message from a long time postcrosser asking why I was not registering cards - I politely responded that it was because I had no cards to register. I could have put something on my profile reassuring people that I was not an unreliable postcrosser, but I thought it unnecessary. If people bothered to read the guidelines none of these discussions would be necessary. The joke “ when all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS “ has an element of truth.

18 Likes

You’re braver than me. :wink: I was inactive this year from March to August due to moving, and when I recently reactivated my account, I stated in my profile that I’d done just that, exactly so I wouldn’t get these whiny annoying messages from people asking why I don’t register my cards. I agree people should just read the guidelines, but they don’t, do they?

6 Likes