People who haven't logged in for a long time

I believe this is the reason. They are not interested anymore in Postcrossing.

Agree

1 Like

Agree

2 Likes

That works. I have been a ghost postcrosser against my will, received one message like that, and worked.
I had an account to my students, for we were doing some postcrossing activities conecting arts and English. Lockdown came one Friday in March. Here, in Spain, it was quite severe an everybody went nuts. So I wasn’t allowed to go back to the Highschool… even to it’s village, until September. And I forgot completely to suspend the account (my bad), because I’m included in “everybody” and went nuts.

I cannot recall exactly when, maybe jun, or july, I received a message asking for expired postcards. I wrote to the head of studies, who was allowed to get into the Highschool some times, and he confirmed my class had received some mail, although he could not give me any more details. Obviously, he had not the IDs and I didn’t ask him to note them down when he went back, because in those visits he already had a million far more important things to do. But I could explain the situation to the sender, calm her down, and tell her I would register it in the moment I was allowed to pick up the mail, which I did.

However, I must say that the message I got at first was quite demanding. Not rude, but not totally friendly. I understand people getting upset with expired postcards, I also do, but cool down a little before writing. Although it was not the case, I can imagine a bunch of delicate and unfortunate reasons behind an expired postcard instead of just indolence.

21 Likes

My current 2 expired cards are one to Germany 80+ days and the user hasnt log in for the past 3 months (numbers make sense) and one to UK, 113 days (with 50+ received) and logging in almost every day.

So I took a chance and sent a second one to UK about a month ago. I have never send a resent, but this time it seemed like a good idea.

3 Likes

I don’t know where this person is from, but I’m from South Africa and get all my postcards at once. But I must add that it is between 5-10 postcards at a time every 3rd month. So it might be that this person is a hoarder or the post office is. But 150 seems a bit high for it to be delivered at once.

5 Likes

One example I encountered is a US newbie sent out her first 5 cards and all were registered so she is entitled to receive 5 in the mail. Well she has not registered any including mine as she shows none received. I look at it this way as she did her first part and likely she received 5 back. Unfortunately she did not register any and I like to think that its a 50/50 chance that she quit but you don’t know for sure (maybe moved, sick or something else). So it means I have to wait 60 days before I have another sent to me , goes with the territory! My guess in my 3 years I 've had about 15-20 expired and of those only 2 were to active members. There were maybe another 4 that were sort of semi active! The others maybe got there or maybe not!!! When drawn there address some weren’t active for a while but I still sent them one, usually not my good ones as I save those for the active members!

3 Likes

I also save my good cards for active members! And I send my less precious ones to those I am not sure are active anymore as I have had 3 expire this month to users who haven’t logged in in 3-5 months.

2 Likes

I am new to Postcrossing and already have an expired card (one of the first five I sent). How can I tell if the person I sent it to is active or not? Should I send them a message? It went to China and it has been 62 days now.

2 Likes

To check if a postcrosser seems to be active, take a look at their account - have they been seen in the last thirty days? If not then their address will no longer be given out. Have they registered any received cards lately? Have they sent any cards recently? These are all indicators of the PXers level of involvement.

My experience of sending cards to China recently is that they are not getting registered so it’s possible that your card may not be too. But 62 days is not an unusual length of time, so there is hope!

3 Likes

Yes sadly there will be people who have been very ill this past year or even passed away…

4 Likes

I just had a hurray message for a card that took 300 days to travel to Russia. The receiver said in the message that she hadn’t been postcrossing in a while, but receiving my card today had inspired her to go buy some stamps and start again.

23 Likes

You have to wait until the card is registered.
After 60 days you get your slot released, so that you can send another one.

You can look at the persons profile page. There you can see this.
Cards to China can take very long, even more than 60 days. If you write the address in latin letters, the Chinese post transscribes it into their signs and that will take some time. And - as far as I know - it travels by land within China, unless you marked it as air mail.

Hi. Really nothing anyone can do, but can I vent my frustration at people who join, send a few cards, then disappear? So, then you just wait sixty days for your card to expire.
And no, I am not referring to people who have started back up after an absence. And yes, I do understand people get sick etc., but everyone who has been a member awhile knows the kind of people I mean. Just wanted to know if others are frustrated.
And these are cards now traveling, so you cannot see now anyone’s name.

7 Likes

I understand the frustration, but people have to try out Postcrossing too eh?

Sometimes it hooks them, sometimes it doesn’t & sometimes life get in the way of participating.

It does take patience & a certain commitment especially at the beginning when things are slow and I suspect a bunch of folks find it too slow in our instant gratification world.

It takes a big shift to accept the slow time of postal mail & the rhythm of Postcrossing.

I suspect many mean to come back, but just get distracted by other parts of life.

19 Likes

I have a few on my traveling list that are like this now actually. Sent a couple and have not been back. I understand if you don’t wish to send anymore, but at least register the post cards you get, it’s so rude knowing that people are being held up by you.

They still have accounts, how hard is it really to be like, oh shoot this is from Post Crossing. I know I don’t like the site that much but at least I can take 10 seconds (literally) to register the card. It can be done on a phone for goodness sake.

I just find it extremely rude. Sorry.

17 Likes

We talk about this all the time, there’s probably other threads about this already. And there’s really nothing anyone can do. I think that accounts for most cards not registered, more than the cards that got lost in the post.

Nothing to do but grumble a bit and then move on.

3 Likes

I’m not looking for sympathy or an explanation of why people do this just asking if others had experienced this. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

To be fair I actually did have someone who refused to register my card. Told me that she received it but since it wasn’t on her wish list, that she wasn’t going to register it. That if I sent her one of her preferences that she would. I said no, so she really didn’t ever register the card I sent. So it’s sitting as expired a year later.