People who 'don't get it'?

Sending a few duplicates isn’t the same as sending the same postcard to 500 different persons. No need to worry about some duplicates.

And honestly, it can be hard for some to find more than a very postcard to send. Maybe there aren’t more cards available where they live and they can’t afford buying a large quantity of cards online.

4 Likes

In my opinion it’s totally okay to send the same card more than once. Sometimes cards are really beautiful or they belong to a series that people tend to collect like FOTW, GF or cards by the Papersisters. I tend to stock up on those cards and of course I send them to more than one user. That doesn’t mean I don’t have a ton of other cards around to find something matching the profile (I really do have a lot of cards, it’s crazy!). I’m not fond of people sending the exact same card to literally anyone, because it shows zero effort and seems a bit rude to me, but in the end I will still recieve different cards from each user and that’s the point.

5 Likes

Having received quite a few cards I stopped caring. Frankly I get disappointed if a card seams carelessly choosen. I am not talking about wishlist etc. I have received carda that did not meet my wishes at all but with nice written texts that made up for it. But receiving old cards of bad quality is not nice.
But well they sent a postcard which is what they have to do. I register it and say thank you and I move on. Many more people send nice cards with nice messages that make up for the not so nice cards you get from very few people.

7 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, I’m too tired now to write more, it’s been a long day. :sleeping:

I am a bit worried now since I buy from the local bookstore/tourist shop to support local business and they carry a lot of postcards but most of them are touristy.
I kinda wanted to keep sending NYC/new york related cards, sometimes I can match people’s preferences (I’ve only sent five so far) but I’ve bought multiples of some.
Is this a no no? I can’t buy boxes of postcards right now or the more expensive ones, but I don’t want to disappoint anyone. I mean, I am not going to send 100 of the same card but it’s like five of each?

Also, as a side note question, I tried to set up my profile to have tons of information but now reading in the forums people that have many things on their profile is not good?
I don’t want to come off as demanding :pensive:
I’m just naturally long winded lol. Please advize me if you have thoughts about it.

I think if I received a card with nothing on it I would think about it a little cause that’s odd for me.
I have the urge to fill up the entire postcard.

4 Likes

Don’t worry about your tourist card, I believe that over 50% postcrossers like tourist card, When you send your identity card to different people, that will be fine. :smiley: :smile: :grin:

3 Likes

No, of course not. :wink: Imagine you had the perfect card for someone but you couldn’t send it because you’ve already sent a copy to someone else before. Wouldn’t that be crazy? And the selection of cards you can buy in your area is usually limited - are we supposed to stop postcrossing once we’ve sent one of each? That seems ridiculous to me. :wink:

I like to buy several copies of postcards. It’s easier for me to “let go” of a card if I still have another copy (What if this card is the absolute perfect choice for the next profile?), and also some cards are just quite popular and why would I not want to send these cards to as many people who like them as possible?

There are a lot of opinions about what a profile should look like - just go with what feels right for you. You’ll never be able to please everyone, so don’t even worry about it. Would you be okay drawing your own profile? Then it’s fine. :wink:

10 Likes

In fact, I would be happy to receive tea or coins from another country out of the blue, hehe

4 Likes

I’ve sent repeated cards. Obviously I don’t buy dozens of the same card, but some of the cards I’ve found are beautiful (for example, Indigenous art), so why not send it more than once?

I love NYC cards! Hope you’re matched up with me someday, I bet I’d love the cards you send :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just read your profile and I would be thrilled to pieces if the randomizer picked me to send a postcard to you! That’s a great profile. It makes me want to re-write my own… :thinking:

1 Like

On occasion I get a card handwritten in their language :blush:

@RainWang
Thanks. I feel less anxious now :sweat_smile:

@siobhan oh I can see how the last one would be harder to let go of! Thanks for your input

@Dark_ is there a tea tag we should set one up if not

@truenorth_49 ohh true indigenous art or like the greetings from cards too valid point

@aerobear I find it fun to ramble, if you’re in the mood I think you should update it, it feels satisfying when you’re done
Do let me know if you end up rewriting I love reading profiles

@zeroday yknow I think that would be fun too, to just get a card written in their home language. I’d try to slowly translate it haha

@Sleep @Dark_ There is a tea tag here!

Gasp I have tracked this tag thank you. Huehue once I replenish my tea I shall participate!

1 Like

:laughing: Me, too. But I’d still tell them that postcrossing is about postcards. Some newbies don’t know or in their language postcard and letter is the same thing. (Allegedly, there is at least one language where this is the case but I don’t remember which one.)

1 Like

Here’s a new one - I got a card today with two IDs on it. I can only guess that the person has two profiles and drew my name on both, but has decided to only send one card (I’ll be reporting this to get admin’s thoughts before I register either number).

2 Likes

When I am feeling more frustrated or disappointed, I simply become inactive on the website - just sending, not receiving - and I’d rather take part on tags, round robins and private swaps. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That is the way I found to manage the bad vibes and have more positive outcomes, although I do understand all of you when you talk about:

• Frustrations: In my experience, most effortless people seem to be the collector type that have been doing postcrossing for years and only care about receiving, so they just send the same generic message out of obligation (I know because this happened to me, at least twice… years apart!). Minimum effort > maximum results as @SailingBy said.

• Disappointments: I have my own too, always related to the message and not with the picture. But I try to understand that we don’t always communicate in the same way and we have different life circumstances, which leads me to the…

• Benefit of the Doubt: Yes, yes, yes! We are entitled to be disappointed and to be frustrated, but bearing in my mind that we don’t know what is going on other people’s lives. :slightly_smiling_face:

Plus, one more thing: at some point, we probably were also the source of some disappointments. We are all different people with different expectations. After 10 years on this, even though I still feel “arghhhhh” sometimes, I found the best way for me is to just look for what we want somewhere else. For a while, at least. Fortunately we don’t need to got that far, since the forum is rich in positive postcrossing opportunities. :smile:

16 Likes

@Sleep @scrutiny Thanks for your advice, but I don’t drink tea. Although I can collect it as a collection, hmm. But thanks, if anything, I will know where I can get tea for my friend :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Don’t worry! Tourist cards are fine and your profile is far from being demanding, it is a fine one!

4 Likes

I think doing postcrossing means something different to everyone. Some people want to write as many words as possible, others collect stamps, again others want to share homemade cards…
So “getting it” means something different to everyone.

For me personally, it’s about… sending mail… receiving mail… and having some fun along the way.

What do I care if the card is a bit damaged or if it only says 'Happy Postcrossing" ? And it never even crossed my mind to check on a sender’s profile and study which cards they sent to others. Why would I mind?

Maybe this is because I’m a newbie, I don’t know. Maybe I’ll change my mind in the future.

But before I joined postcrossing, all I got in the mail… were bills.

24 Likes