Participating of children under 18 years

I’d love it !

2 Likes

I would like it.
Great idea!

2 Likes

You could teach her how to write “Hi”, that’s an easy English word to start with…

3 Likes

I’d love it! It’d be nice if her profile states what you wrote in this post so the recipient knew the story behind it.

It might even be a great way for her to learn English when she received cards. I think it’s a great idea

3 Likes

My 5 year old son is also on postcrossing :blush:
He can not write yet besides his name.
We have a stamp set with letters so he can stamp ‘hallo’ as greeting. And he decorate with stickers and tape.
I also write his age on the card so the receiver knows it comes from a child.

9 Likes

I love that idea!

3 Likes

That’s the point - no matter what you write or draw or not: some will like it, some will be annoyed and many in between will be just okay with it. Do it your way.

My daughter (8) doesn’t speak English either. We decide on what to write, I translate it (if necessary, but luckily she can often write in German), mostly it’s just one or two sentences, and she copies them on the card. Then she draws something below the text, following hints from the recipients profile, what they might like. That is her way doing postcrossing, she enjoys drawing something for those strangers and wants to bring them joy with her drawings.
She only sent out 20 cards (she’s not interested lately, but I took care cards received were registered nevertheless), most people said they liked it. The others didn’t comment on it.

6 Likes

I think this is very cute! Because she did what she wanted to do, she tried her best, and it was up to her to complete it herself. This is the beauty of children, they will be cute

3 Likes

As a teacher of English (hehe) I can recommend you to google something like “all about me worksheets for kindergarten”. From there she can copy simple words and phrases and to learn to tell people basic information about herself - age, favourite things, appearance, where she lives etc. She could also draw small pictures, like she could draw an apple and then write that it’s her favourite fruit. I think this will help her develop confidence and a little bit of English, too.

As to your question - I’m sorry, but I would be a little bit disappointed (not annoyed though), because I prefer long messages and I am quite indifferent to pictures, glitter, washi tape and other decorative stuff. But of course I would write a kind thank you

3 Likes

No matter what you do, there will always be people who complain about everything. That’s why it’s best that you do as you feel is best. Don’t think too much about others.

2 Likes

Children participating in Postcrossing is perfectly fine with me.
And much as I love a fully written postcard, drawing is a perfect alternative to writing. In fact, sometimes I used to tell my stories in letters to friends & family in the form of little cartoons with stick figures… And that’s also what I resorted to when once I drew the address of a 4-year-old postcrosser :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is so true! No matter what any of us do when we participate in Postcrossing, some will like it, some will be annoyed, and many in between will just be okay with it. Yes, here is the true experience in a nutshell :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, some will find it annoying and some also think just “happy postcrossing” is not even a message.

I love getting cards from children, seeing drawings. sometimes see their handwriting, recently learned to write perhaps, and I love long messages too. I think there nicest thing is, that there are these different styles, cards from different aged people.

I have received a card where the adult wrote the message and child decorated :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I feel so happy about thinking the moment they are together writing and decorating!

I also thought, if she doesn’t know English, she could in every card learn a little?
Like what she draws, writes that in her own language (many members like this) and then in English.
For example “today I * went swimming / found a snail / ec *” and maybe the drawing with this.
She learns and there is illustrated message. for me it would be really nice and personal.

5 Likes

As a receiver, this would be super helpful for me to be able to interpret the card correctly and answer in the right tone!

11 Likes

I would absolutely LOVE to receive such a card :heart_eyes: Any type of card that comes from a child makes me happy, because writing and receiving postcards were a big joy for me when I was a child, and it’s great to think that children can still enjoy postcards nowadays. Besides, a child drawing for me would be extra special :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Would you send this to a child, or is the alligator too scary?

1 Like

The alligator is cute! I would absolutely send that to a child.

1 Like

NO! I had childhood nightmares about alligators (and sharks, so I might even have found the dolphin scary). But that was just me. Other children probably weren’t in the least bit bothered.

2 Likes

Surveyed my kids (10, 4, 3) and the 10 and 4yo said it’s not scary and they like all the animals on the card. 3yo said “the mouth is a little scary” on the alligator :crocodile: We have animal books with toothy animals so it’s not shocking or anything :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit to add: As a mom and former teacher I would not hesitate to send that card to a child, especially if the profile states that they like animals.

5 Likes

Great card for a kid! :+1:

2 Likes