Opinions on printed out text on postcards?

Hi, if that’s what he needs to take part, obviously is a good thing to do.

Maybe someone could feel offended or so.
But he could either explain on his profile - or he could add this explanation in small letters on his messages.

And if he’s going to type the individual messages, relying to the person he’s writing to, so everyone can see, it’s individual writing, not mass production, I hardly can imagine someone feeling bad about it. Maybe only very narrow-hearted people.

So just go for it!

I got a postcard for WorldPostcard Day where the text was printed and glued to the card.
I am pretty sure that the text was used for dozens of cards. I did not enjoy it. The text was just about the weather, and the card had nothing to do with my preferences either. I think if you print the text, you have to make double-sure, that people do not regard the cards as part of a mass production.
Otherwise I do not mind!

3 Likes

Same. I have gotten juvenile arthritis when I was 18 months old. I have no good motor skills. I use a labelwriter for adresses else cards go missing.

I do write on cards and while writing is a big challenge for me… It hurts a lot and I just have no control over my hands. I try to write to the best of my ability. And never gotten complaints.

I won’t write cursive however…

2 Likes

I don’t mind getting postcards with typed messages! :hugs:
I struggle with carpal tunnel issues in my right hand (dominant hand) at 25 years old. I played violin for 10 years and do a lot of crafting, sometimes it flares up and makes it difficult to write. I haven’t personally typed my postcard messages but I honestly should during flare ups as I feel I only make it worse by writing. I really enjoy personalizing the cards which has made it difficult for me to transition over to typing the messages.
Edit* I’m having issues now, where my fingers are bothering me due to a flare up. This was my first ever typed postcard.

I almost feel bad typing it as I see a lot of people feel that a message could be a duplicate used on multiple postcards. Fortunately that’s not the case, but how do I know the recipient doesn’t feel that way?

8 Likes

I also print the address and an updated text message.
I always update the weather, dates and sign manually.
My handwriting is bad, I get cramped hands quickly and I’m not a neat writer…

An example for my address sticker can be found here: What do you use for a label printer?

2 Likes

Why don’t we all take a very deep breathe and not squabble over this excruciating minutiae?? Honestly, printed address/message or written address/ message or written message /printed address really does not matter. In the larger scheme of things, it doesn’t. Accept it with thanks from people who may be physically challenged with infirmities. Save your rants for the privacy of your own home. Thanks.

4 Likes

I’ve had a few cards with messages printed out. I think they’re fine. Maybe the person has arthritis, bad handwriting, or whatever. In my opinion, the most important thing is the message itself, not the way it is transmitted. I think it’s wonderful that your dad wants to have a Postcrossing account. I hope he has fun with it.

3 Likes

One of the reasons why I’m on postcrossing is that I love handwriting, so all of my cards are handwritten (in cursive, because I can write an address in blocks, but longer text makes my hand hurt), but I don’t expect everybody else to share my exact preferences.

A printed text that was clearly written specifically for me doesn’t feel significantly different than one with the same text written by hand, and either would be much better than an anonymous happy postcrossing even if handwritten in fancy ink.

And of course anything typed on a vintage typewriter counts as handwritten on the effort and coolness scales (but I don’t think that would really be an option for a lot of people who can’t write because of hand pain issues).

3 Likes

There is nothing wrong in printing texts when there is a reason to do that, such as difficulties to write or bad handwriting.
The only important thing is to write a personal message, and not just use the same standard message on every card (which I find pretty sad)

I once received a postcard typed on a vintage typewriter, and once even a long letter. They were pretty cool indeed!

3 Likes

It’s always nice to receive a personally written card, sender’s thoughts just to me. No matter if the words are typed or handwritten. How can I know that the message is just for me, not the same for all : when the sender mentions something about my profile text.

1 Like

I feel your father! I have to audibly tell myself to slow down when writing because my mind is faster than my hand :joy:
Any mail that isn’t a bill is awesome. Actually using a typewriter to write on a postcard doesn’t work well. However, post offices in various countries have started offering a service where you upload a picture of your choice and type out a short message. The picture is then sent to the recipient with your message on the back as a photo-postcard. Check the website of your postal service to see if they offer this or create a typed but customization card at home

I received my first card with a typed+stuck-on message the other day. I didn’t mind, because the message was still personal to the card - as opposed to a generic one stuck on every single card they sent! That’s the main thing that matters to me, that the message is personal to the card (and maybe person), so typed or handwritten makes no difference.

Having said that, handwriting does add a certain something to a message, so handsigning a card with a printed/typed message is something I appreciate (which the card I received also had).

3 Likes

I’ve had quite a few typed out, and I don’t mind a bit!
I have sloppy writing, too, so …
go for it!

Don’t worry, messages can be dublicated by hand too!
Not long ago I had a thing I wanted to write, to get it out of my mind. I wrote it to all cards during few days, maybe with a little different words. So it’s almost the same as I copied.

If the recipient is willing to think “bad” things, thy will find something.

I also got a printed text, clearly not to me, as they wrote things that are not in my profile (like “it’s so cool you repair cars, and have so many”), but that was so funny. Maybe they copied it by accident, maybe they mixed some messages and the one meant to me went to someone else…?)

3 Likes

That is very true!

Many people in this thread have said that they don’t mind printed out messages, as long as they can notice that they were personally written for them. I think the same, it’s not about the handwriting, but about the message. Still, a signature by hand would be very nice, if that is possible for the sender.

I received one card with printed text (+printed address label) where I have to say I was a bit disappointed though. The text started with "Hello (blank space) " followed by a generic daily routine. My name was filled out by hand in the blank space, and there was not even a signature of the sender, neither printed nor handwritten. It felt a bit like a mass produced card and as if that preprinted label/sticker would get stuck on every postcard of that sender.

2 Likes

I don’t mind either printed or handwritten messages. It is possible to make printed messages unique to each person, and it is possible to handwrite exactly the same message on every card and I’ve gotten examples of both. There are as many ways to do Postcrossing as there are members and as long as no one is breaking the rules I think we should be accepting.

2 Likes

I prefer handwriting above printed text. In my profile I ask for handwritten postcards.
I see almost only printed texts. Daily life. Handwriting is getting rare.

If I can’t read the text I take the card with me to someone whoever. A nice chat about mail sending and handwriting.
These days even shoppinglists are typed for many.

The postcode housenumber and countryname plus ID should be reasonable readable though.

Edit. I see this old topic was UP UP UPt.

1 Like

I would not mind a printed text on a postcard one bit. Everyone is different and has different circumstances and we need to be understanding and caring to each other. I think it’s the same way as somebody that prefers beautiful postage stamps and gets annoyed when receives cards with standard ones, but forgets there are people who literally have no access to those pretty stamps. In a similar way, not everyone is able to hand write things. Yes, I love handwriting and it does feel personal and special, but I’d still always prefer a long and personal message instead. It’s the thought that counts. :heart:

2 Likes

I recently read a profile where someone asked for printed greeting as they can’t always read it but not sure if they meant “written in BLOCK CAPITALS” or words printed out.

Trying not to get hung up about this or peoples card requests.

I am happy with any but like others said a signature is always good by hand and they don’t have to be legible.

I don’t mind it as long as it is a personal message. But I like a personal message in general and there is no garantee that you will receive one when it is handwritten.
I have noticed that many write something like: I type this, because I have trouble writing or something to explain.

3 Likes