“One liner” generic postcards

Hmm, now I want to write a Haiku for on my new postcards! You know it’s not just the words, it’s the photo on the front and the stamps and the joy of sending some out. Sometimes people just give me the weather report and that really amuses me. Should I be adding weather details?

1 Like

Btw, I noticed that very often even if there’s a language barrier or someone doesn’t have idea or just simply doesn’t like to write much, many people still put a lot of effort (choosing very carefully a nice postcard or adding some stickers, or something like this). That should be appreciated as well.

8 Likes

If you don’t like it - don’t do it. Don’t do anything against yourself.:wink:
I started adding weather details (temperature and weather) simply because someone sent me a postcard with it and I found it nice. It was like imagining the surrounding when they were sending this postcard. I personally appreciate details like that - but it’s me and my explanation why I like it.
Still, it’s up to you, find your own way.:grin:

I’m myself always curious what I will receive and I love variety of postcards.
I added some suggestions just simply because some people have no idea what to write etc.
But you should always treat all preferences as suggestions, they are nothing more (in my opinion).

6 Likes

I like the weather details, I just wondered if other people enjoyed the weather too. I LOVE reading the bios and interests when I am sending a new card. I was going to do the weather today but my recipient was interested in mining and I live in a mining area so I talked about that as much as I could in such a small space. I try to pick a card based on their likes and write something I think they will relate to. Peace and Love, Emmskey

7 Likes

I did not know about the round robins. Now I am going to look them up. Thank you for sharing that!

1 Like

Some people love it, some people hate it, it is discussed here:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

One liner cards give impression that sender is possibly bored and just doing mechanical part of writing address/ ID and posting.

I prefer those cards, who give interesting information of card,/event or history related to card. I prefer to explain various cultural backgrounds of photo or historical importance of place and just give brief of myself.

That is why my cards have long text and i try to fit maximum in small space of card.

5 Likes

that’s a very amusing request - the hippo - what a great idea!

1 Like

And it’s disappointing, isn’t it?

I’ve received almost 100 since joining and most of them have a nice, personal message on the back. I find it unusual that most of yours so far haven’t and I wonder if you’ve just been unlucky so far and I’ve been lucky and somewhere along the line we’ll both even out and have a fair share of each.
I can’t see your profile so I don’t know if you ask for comments specifically? I ask people if they wouldn’t mind telling me about their home, what they had for dinner etc. it may help some people to have a simple prompt?

1 Like

I think some people are interested in connection. Others are interested in collection. And most of us fall somewhere in between! HTH.

5 Likes

@kanosis
How would you know what would upset them or not? For example- you write that it’s raining today , perhaps they hate rain and find it depressing, so that would upset them? Would just Happy Postcrossing work for them you think?

1 Like

I totally agree with you. However, every time I receive a one line postcard, or even an empty one, I read the profile because it makes me feel curious. Generally I’ve found then short or empty profiles, or those who said that they were not very fluent in English, or that advice that it was a straight translation by Google translator.
But once I got one whose profile was really demanding, without references to any linguistic issue and with TWO LONG paragraphs explaining why she wanted a long message regarding a list of suggested topics and the drawbacks and shame on you ideas regarding one liners.

She had written “Happy postcrossing”.

Not even a greeting, date or her bare name at the end. Happy postcrossing and that’s that.

I’m sorry, but yes, in that particular case I felt rather disappointed.

As student of English as foreign language, I want to tell you I love you for that idiom, “(idiom)” included.

4 Likes

Telling something essential on the small space of a postcard requires to focus very much and maybe even then it cannot be told in a few lines. Perhaps that is the reason why people just write some nice greetings instead of going into detail.
I am generally satisfied with the texts people write to me. They usually tell a bit about the place they live, the books they read or their families incl. pets.
Have the texts you get improved meanwhile?

2 Likes

I agree on that!

Furthermore, I would not write everything about me to a stranger. That should be something one has to keep to in mind. One does not go outside and talk to strangers telling them everything right away.
Postcrossing is a nice brief chat. Just like others suggested, penpalling might be another option for the op.

@PatriciaOH
I’m really sorry about that. :zipper_mouth_face: This really is annoying though!

1 Like

What if the ID gets them upset?

2 Likes

@journeyforth
Maybe ink upsets them … kinda strange if you ask me…:sweat_smile::thinking:

2 Likes

I love “collection and connection.” I skew towards connection. Having a great collection of the connections is the cherry on top. But many connections started with collections… hope that makes sense… :flushed: :thinking:

3 Likes

Oh no wow…. Maybe it is the ink…, it perhaps depends on the color. I do not want to sound mean, perhaps they have serious anxiety issues and I am sure that is no fun. But I can understand that could sound a bit strange for a request.

1 Like

Kanosis, me too - I do have questions on my profile just as prompts - I appreciate when people put those too, because some days I just feel blah and don’t know what to write. I was really excited when a German postcrosser answered my question prompt about her favorite dessert which was Strawberry Eis. Not having heard of this, of course I googled it. Woohoo, the Germans have created a fabulously interesting dessert that I am definitely going to try if I get back to Germany! I encourage the ones like me without a clue to look it up. That kind of stuff is fun, that’s why I like learning about something a little different than what’s in my world.

2 Likes