October 2nd, 2021 World Postcard Day meetup - Maihaugen, Lillehammer

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Maihaugen, Lillehammer, Innlandet
:pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: front entrance
:calendar: DATE: October 2nd, 2021
:alarm_clock: TIME: 11am
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: a visit to the Postal Museum, rest of Maihaugen if interested, regular meetup activities

Hello all! The 2nd World Postcard Day is coming up and we have got to do something to celebrate. :partying_face: My plan is to visit Maihaugen, a beautiful open air museum at Lillehammer, and specifically the Norwegian Postal Museum which is located there. It is closed for the season but can be opened especially for us for an extra fee. Hopefully some Postcrossers will be interested in joining me there?? :smiley:

The cost for this event will be the regular 135 NOK entry fee, plus an extra 1000 NOK for the Postal Museum. This last will be divided among all attendees, so hopefully it won’t be crazy expensive. The 135 NOK includes access to the entire rest of Maihaugen, which will be open until 4pm. Their most recently added attraction, queen Sonja’s childhood home which I’m sure many of you will have seen referenced in the media, is included in this, it is still open at this date and will have its own guides that can inform us about the history of the home and the project of moving it. The 1000 NOK includes a lecture about the Postal Museum - I tried to arrange for a guided tour but because of you-know-what the guide is not permitted to accompany us inside. So the guide will give a lecture outside the museum and we will then go inside to look by ourselves.

Maihaugen has its own cafe, we can either sit down to have a bite to eat and sign some cards there or find someplace else in town. This depends on how much time we spend on the grounds. I’m sure we will find a solution to this. :blush:

I’m not sure what we will do about meetup cards … ? @KAS maybe has some ideas … ?? On my last visit the museum shop had a lot of postcards, but this was some years ago so I don’t know what the situation is now. Watch this space I guess :blush:

Hopefully some of you will be interested in joining me on this little day trip … ! :blush: Lillehammer is about a 2 hour drive from Oslo or alternatively there are trains and buses.

NB: I know that it’s October 1st that is the actual date for World Postcard Day, but I think that Saturday is the obvious day to try to make this happen :blush:

Sign me up! :grinning:

It’s around 2 hrs 40 minutes by train from Drammen, so I can be on the train arriving Lillehammer at 10.40 and then it’s a short walk (1.3 km says google maps) up to Maihaugen.

I’ll think about it :sweat_smile:

About postcards at the museum. I visited the museum shop last month. There was a good variation of postcards bouth tourist cards and museum cards, though a little bit less than last year.

Great! Thank you @TonePost for this info :smiley:

Print the official World Postcard Day postcards?!

Yes, I have those already. But there’s a lot of potential for a meetup card from Maihaugen itself … and a bunch of us went there together some years ago so someone should have some pictures …

1 Like

Yeah about that :joy: I can’t find mine from our last trip there. Blame it on Unpacking Hell Brain Fog. Happy to put together a card if someone can provide some photos :rofl:

I’m joining you :smile:

1 Like

I’m still suffering from Unpacking Hell Distraction, so don’t think I can handle meetup cards for this. I’m interesting in buying some if someone else designs them!