October 1, 2023 WPD Meetup in Dayton, Ohio

This will be my first Postcrossing event, may I have 10 cards, please?

3 Likes

I will also have some of the official World Postcard Day cards to share - I had to order more than I can use myself!

3 Likes

Finally figured out how to respond here. I will attend and would like 25 cards. Hurray! Janinelily

4 Likes

Anybody wants to swap with me

1 Like

I will attend and I would like 25 cards. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello nice to meet youļ¼I have some cards about Shanghai, China and Iā€™d love to swap!
Please dm me if you are interested in! Thanks. Yunjia

Updated. Thank you, @emotis, for agreeing to swap with me!

Summary

My WPD offers:

1 Like

@saula Thanks so much! What a great idea!
I am not great at baking, but I can pick up some cookies to bring too. :smiley:

Thank you so much for the invite! Iā€™ve never been to a meetup before! Unfortunately, I will be backpacking in Yosemite on that date and wonā€™t be able to attend this time. Please keep me in mind for the future, I would love to come to another one. Have so much fun and I hope everyone has safe travels and fun with WPD!

1 Like

Have so much fun in Yosemiteā€¦ what a gorgeous park!! And Iā€™ll definitely keep you on my list for future events. :smiley:

FYI
Did everyone see the announcement that requested addresses will be limited to 10 on October 1?
World Postcard Day Sending Limits Announcement

I intend to save up some addresses for a few days before so still plan on sending more than 10ā€¦ but will make sure to request my 10 addresses too so I can get my WPD badge.

Alsoā€¦ since we will be signing each otherā€™s meet up cards and it looks like there may be a lotā€¦ some people have rubber stamps made up with their user names on them. Other people use little stickers, or some just depend on the trusty pen. Itā€™s up to you! I have a rubber stamp that I designed on zazzle, but I know there are many other vendors out there too.

If you would like your postcards shipped to you BEFORE the event so you can address them, add postage etc. then please let me know. Iā€™ll get a cost for postage the actual cost of the cards, and you can then venmo or paypal me the payment. Otherwise, you can pick up the cards at the event.

Iā€™m getting excited about meeting everyone! And please let Carol and me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the invite! We were just in the Dayton area earlier in August to visit family. Unfortunately, I will be visiting Asheville, NC that weekend and am unable to attend.

If anyone has tips for ordering WPD postcards, please let me know. I donā€™t really want to spend a ton and donā€™t need 25 or 30 of the same card, but I love the design.

Thanks so much!

1 Like

@OhMyPostcard How close are you to Cleveland? Perhaps we could carpool?

I have never done a meet up, does this mean we canā€™t do more than 10 cards to send at that time?

Iā€™m in Medina so not too far but Iā€™m going to bring my Grandma with me and I know she would be uncomfortable with someone she doesnā€™t know. If youā€™re unable to go and want me to bring any cards back that you order ahead of time I totally can!

Yay! I want to come! I just learned about it today, so I might check in a little bit with some more details. Once I figure out what Iā€™m doing. We probably will want some cards but I need to talk to the other person coming with me. Whose name is Cheryl. We probably will both want to order some cards but I need to get a number from her and discuss our travel plans a little bit more. Hello from small town Kentucky cynthiana :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi! I am the Cheryl referenced in Amandaā€™s post and I want to go! I say hello from another small town in Kentucky, the town of Bellevue! I want to get some cards!

1 Like

Hello! My name is Abigail. Can you put me down for just 4 meetup cards? Thanks!

2 Likes

@KWDibble1 For only ordering a few cards then I think Zazzle is the way to go. You can order just a few of a card you design (you would just upload the design to one of their blank templates) and then buy as many as you need. Zazzle often has sales so keep an eye outā€¦ postcards are often 40-40% off (which means they end up costing up around .65 cents a piece)

Hope that helps!!

1 Like

@OhMyPostcard
This sending limit is new for this year so doesnā€™t necessarily have anything to do with the meetup. You can bring as many cards as you want signed and send as many as youā€™d like. The limit only affects the number of addresses you can request on October 1.

For example, letā€™s say that I have a limit of 30 cards travelling at any one time. If all of my cards had arrived, I could then request 30 new addresses to reach my limit. Well, if that scenario happened on October 1 the system would only allow me to request 10 new addresses. I would have to wait until October 2, or beyond to request my remaining 20 available addresses.

Why does it matter if the address is requested on October 1?
If you request an address on October 1, when it arrives you get a ā€œbadgeā€ on your profile saying that you sent a postcard on World Postcard Day. So, in the past itā€™s made sense to request 30 addresses on October 1 and hope at least 1 of them makes it. :smiley: I mean, the badge is pretty cool!
BUT, apparently so many people waited to request lots of addresses on October 1 (I admit, Iā€™m completely guilty of thisā€¦ :see_no_evil:) that it overloaded the system, and some people werenā€™t able to get addresses at all. To make it fair for everyone, Postcrossing is limiting only 10 requested addresses on October 1.

Ok, so all that said. I plan to request 10 addresses on October 1. (Must get the WPD badge of course!) But Iā€™ll make sure Iā€™ve requested all of my available addresses a few days before and then Iā€™ll wait to send them WPD cards until after the event. I also plan to get some cards signed that Iā€™ll save for people who collect and request meetup cards.

In the Eastern Time Zone, Postcrossing October 1 starts at 8pm on September 30. So everyone will be able to request their addresses the night before the event, print out the addresses (or address labels) and then be ready for the meetup. Youā€™re also able to print at the library the day of the event, so if you need to request your addresses you can do so.

This new policy just needs a little planning ahead on our part. Iā€™m still planning on sending out at least 50 of our meetup card.