Not receiving postcards

I believe German will be temporarily blocked then, like Finland was when we had a strike.
So Finnish addresses were not given (I don’t remember if I was able to draw adddresses :thinking: probably not). Some Finns, I think a very small part, still got mail and swaps, but I didn’t get anything during the whole strike.

2 Likes

During the last postal strike in 2015 we were not blocked, although the strike took five weeks.

• The unions did not impose the strike on all sorting centres and delivery bases for the whole time, they always changed them after a few days.
  • Not all workers were members of a union and got a strike pay.
  • Deutsche Post hired strike breakers.

So there was always some mail delivery back then.
And after the strike they delivered the backlog instead of burning it, like maybe the workers in other countries would have done.

3 Likes

:grimacing:

But that’s interesting, obviously we had some places/people working too and not full strike, since some people got mail. I don’t remember how long it was, two weeks perhaps. (Edit. yes, looks like it was two weeks.)

Maybe the postal monitor type system was not working in 2015, but did in 2019 when Finland had the strike.

There’s no reason to block the whole country because even if a whole company is called to strike the reality is that NOT the whole company is doing that. Like Ralf said. In 2015 the strike lasted for around one month and even though only some regions felt a big impact.

1 Like

The postal monitor was set up in 2020 when the Covid-19-pandemic began.

4 Likes

I’m not suggesting/hoping it would happen. :hugs:
Just thinking how Finland was blocked in similar situation (if I don’t remember totally wrong).
I don’t see what’s different, we also didn’t have the whole company striking.
Also I don’t think our country burnt any mail piles :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not remember that Finland was blocked or that the Finnish strike was discussed on the forum and a blockade for two weeks would not have much effect, for postcard travel times are often longer.

2 Likes

I thought about it but to be honest I can’t remember that this has happened :thinking:
But maybe because I’m on Postcrossing for just ~ 10 years, it could’ve had happened before 2013 of course, then I cannot know about it.

1 Like

The strike happened in 2019.
Yes, maybe I remember it wrong then. I’m confused :smile:
(edit. I remember it well of course, I went to mail a letter from Sweden and didn’t get any mail then. )

But, now I looked my received, looks like my address was not given that time.

Was that so traumatising to me that I don’t have clear memory of it :cold_face:

Perhaps you were just cautious and set your account to inactive during the strike or there was no card on the way to you back then.

1 Like

Yes, could be although I don’t remember doing that :smile:
Too bad there is no old conversations from that time.

The strike was between 11th Nov. - 27th Nov. 2019.
There doesn’t seem to be sent cards to Finland from you both either, but sadly Finland is not that common that it would mean anything with certainty.

Did we get blocked in secrecy :female_detective: did I make a fake memory?

Maybe other finnish members know more about it? You could ask in the finnish language topics.

For the German mail strike I decided to keep inactive for now, I’m inactive since early January for other reason.

A couple of top senders did not get Finnish addresses during the strike either, so I can assume we were blocked. Or I picked the members who didn’t get Finnish addresses.

@Jarana yes, I just wrote to Finnish forum, I am sure this was discussed in the old forum, but unfortunately many members stopped coming to the forum when the platform changed :frowning:

2 Likes

Huge number of postcard travelling to me is expiring. So Postcrossing notice there’s something wrong with it. (In my case it’s my postal service issue). I’ve been suspended from requesting addresses too, maybe it’s to avoid the gap being too high that it will disrupt the algorithm balance in the system :thinking:

I have no issue with sending out postcards btw

2 Likes

The Finnish top postcrosser registered cards during that strike and her address was also given e.g. on 14th november 2019.

I looked that too, and her address was given on 9th Nov. and next time 28th Nov.
I slept so little so I can have missed that. I’ll wait if some proper human Finn remembers the situation.
(Of course registering can happen on different day that what is true arriving of a card, and like I wrote, some did receive mail so I don’t know if that is any meaningful information.)

1 Like

Oops, you are right!

1 Like

A link to the legacy forum: https://forum.postcrossing.com/

I have looked for that strike in the “Postal Information and Stamps” section of the legacy forum, but I did not find any information about it.

2 Likes

Ohhh I feel so nostalgic about this old forum :smiling_face_with_tear:
I don’t either see any information or topics, but also lot of topics are removed.
Were the “news” on top of the page?

I got a small hint that maybe when we drew an address from Finnish account, we got notice about the strike. But members from other countries, they can’t choose what address appears.

Edit, something like this.

And someone else remembered this too, and that no addresses to Finland were given.

So looks like we were blocked partially (our addresses were not given) and Finnish members were encouraged not to take addresses (but not forbidden/unabled?)

3 Likes

The complete history would be “… Dec 2022. My first postcard was registered on 13th of January 2023, some minutes/hours later my adress was drawn for the first time. On 3rd of Feb I did receive my first card (from a different arrival on 16th of January; the one from the 13th found its way to my home one day later on 4th of February …”

So it took not 35 days for your mailbox to be happy, but ‘only’ 18 days (resp. 22 days)

4 Likes