Not receiving postcards

I thought about it but to be honest I can’t remember that this has happened :thinking:
But maybe because I’m on Postcrossing for just ~ 10 years, it could’ve had happened before 2013 of course, then I cannot know about it.

1 Like

The strike happened in 2019.
Yes, maybe I remember it wrong then. I’m confused :smile:
(edit. I remember it well of course, I went to mail a letter from Sweden and didn’t get any mail then. )

But, now I looked my received, looks like my address was not given that time.

Was that so traumatising to me that I don’t have clear memory of it :cold_face:

Perhaps you were just cautious and set your account to inactive during the strike or there was no card on the way to you back then.

1 Like

Yes, could be although I don’t remember doing that :smile:
Too bad there is no old conversations from that time.

The strike was between 11th Nov. - 27th Nov. 2019.
There doesn’t seem to be sent cards to Finland from you both either, but sadly Finland is not that common that it would mean anything with certainty.

Did we get blocked in secrecy :female_detective: did I make a fake memory?

Maybe other finnish members know more about it? You could ask in the finnish language topics.

For the German mail strike I decided to keep inactive for now, I’m inactive since early January for other reason.

A couple of top senders did not get Finnish addresses during the strike either, so I can assume we were blocked. Or I picked the members who didn’t get Finnish addresses.

@Jarana yes, I just wrote to Finnish forum, I am sure this was discussed in the old forum, but unfortunately many members stopped coming to the forum when the platform changed :frowning:

2 Likes

Huge number of postcard travelling to me is expiring. So Postcrossing notice there’s something wrong with it. (In my case it’s my postal service issue). I’ve been suspended from requesting addresses too, maybe it’s to avoid the gap being too high that it will disrupt the algorithm balance in the system :thinking:

I have no issue with sending out postcards btw

2 Likes

The Finnish top postcrosser registered cards during that strike and her address was also given e.g. on 14th november 2019.

I looked that too, and her address was given on 9th Nov. and next time 28th Nov.
I slept so little so I can have missed that. I’ll wait if some proper human Finn remembers the situation.
(Of course registering can happen on different day that what is true arriving of a card, and like I wrote, some did receive mail so I don’t know if that is any meaningful information.)

1 Like

Oops, you are right!

1 Like

A link to the legacy forum: https://forum.postcrossing.com/

I have looked for that strike in the “Postal Information and Stamps” section of the legacy forum, but I did not find any information about it.

2 Likes

Ohhh I feel so nostalgic about this old forum :smiling_face_with_tear:
I don’t either see any information or topics, but also lot of topics are removed.
Were the “news” on top of the page?

I got a small hint that maybe when we drew an address from Finnish account, we got notice about the strike. But members from other countries, they can’t choose what address appears.

Edit, something like this.

And someone else remembered this too, and that no addresses to Finland were given.

So looks like we were blocked partially (our addresses were not given) and Finnish members were encouraged not to take addresses (but not forbidden/unabled?)

3 Likes

The complete history would be “… Dec 2022. My first postcard was registered on 13th of January 2023, some minutes/hours later my adress was drawn for the first time. On 3rd of Feb I did receive my first card (from a different arrival on 16th of January; the one from the 13th found its way to my home one day later on 4th of February …”

So it took not 35 days for your mailbox to be happy, but ‘only’ 18 days (resp. 22 days)

4 Likes

I live in Zaporizhzhia and still haven’t received postcards. What is the probability that the postcrossing system blocked the sending of postcards to this city? (now Zaporozhye is a front-line city, and part of the territory is occupied by Russia).

1 Like

I can’t speak for the postcrossing system, but I checked with the Dutch postal site and mail to your city can be delayed with 5-21 days above usual delivery time. It depends on the actual condition of the roads and so on, how soon mail can be delivered. This might be the reason you are still waiting for postcards.

4 Likes

Your first postcard arrived at 4th January. Depending on which country you get a postcard from, it can take a few weeks to you.

3 Likes

Is Ukraine post still able to operate in occupied areas? US members cant send to Russia (or Russian occupied places such as Crimea)

No, Ukrposhta doesn’t work on occupied territories and the territories which have warfare and were completely ruined. However, Zaporizhzhia is neither occupied nor have active warfare. A part of Zaporizhzha region is temporary occupied though.

2 Likes

I too am having this problem. I have sent 29 cards and had no replies after what I think is a reasonable time. It hurts to be reminded by this site that I haven’t logged in recently.
I see that the cards showing have expired after 77 days, all from different countries. As I have seen that most of my sent cards have been registered, I wonder what is happening.

When was the last time you logged in? Was it on 20/21 November when you drew the last addresses?