No good news from South Africa

Hi Errol
I thought you might be interested in the Global Mail service offered by Postnet (not all branches offer it but perhaps you could ask around). Here in Cape Town where I am currently, they offer a service where they will send any postcard or letter up to 60g for R71,00. They then courier all the mail received to a sorting centre in the UK or at other places worldwide (depending on its destination) where it joins the ordinary postal deliveries in the destination country. Not too cheap compared to a stamp, but probably a lot more reliable. (I havenā€™t used this service personally). And Iā€™ve found that outgoing mail is a lot more erratic than incoming mail - so this could be a good alternative to using the SAPO for now while still carrying on with Postcrossing.
Keep well! And if youā€™d like to do a local swap, send me your address :slight_smile:
Cheers, Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for your note and for the information about the PostNet service down there. Iā€™m glad you have at least some possibility of sending & receiving mail. As you say, itā€™s pretty costly! But unfortunately I have some more difficulties. I have had bad service from our local PostNet in the past, so I donā€™t use them, but whatā€™s worse is that I am housebound, so I canā€™t even use them even if I wanted to. However, I am glad to say all is not lost. Some months ago I took the gamble of subscribing to a magazine from the UK, and much to my surprise I have already had three issues delivered to my home address! (The magazine, the London Review of Books, also allows subscribers access to their website.) Although I can therefore apparently expect some postal deliveries, I still canā€™t send anything, so I wouldnā€™t like to receive cards that I am unable to favour with the courtesy of a reply.
Best wishes,
Errol

1 Like

Hi again Errol
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Postnet and that youā€™re housebound. Iā€™m glad to hear youā€™ve been receiving those international magazines though - a promising sign! And my offer still stands to send you a card if youā€™d like - I really donā€™t expect a reply :slight_smile:
Keep well
Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for your reply. Yes, an occasional travel-weary overseas magazine arriving in my letter box is as if the postal service is managing another deep breath - so if thereā€™s a pulmonary heave, thereā€™s hope! Well, thanks. If you do have the inclination of shocking the GPO into life and feel like risking the loss of a postcard, it will be nice to get a card, but if you donā€™t get around to it, no problem. In case thereā€™s any automatic address readers in circulation, hereā€™s a puzzle for you: Iā€™m in Jhb, the suburb is the same as the one in London (& many other places), made up of ā€œKenā€ who went to ā€œsingā€ a ā€œtonā€. And he numbered it two thousand and ninety-four. The street is named after the city and country in the East Midlands, which is pronounced /darby/ but written with an ā€œeā€, not an ā€œaā€, and is a road, not a street. And its number is 200 minus 20. And if you want to give me a second name, you can make it /colin/, but give me 2 Ls, not one, and an ā€œeā€, not an ā€œiā€. And if you havenā€™t run out of patience after that, Iā€™m sure you never will! Cheers,
Errol

Hi again Errol. Consider your card on its way to you! I will post it tomorrow and then we hope for the best! Keep well, Robert

Hi Robert, Toppo! As the Lone Ranger urged Tonto, Iā€™ll keep my eyes skinned. Iā€™ll keep on the trail of the postman if he enters our territory. Cheers, Errol

1 Like

I have a bit of hopeful news. I sent two postcards to myself while I was in Mossel Bay in February. Today, I came home from work and found both of them waiting for me in the mailbox. I consider myself lucky!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s good news. Maybe Mossel Bay is more on the ball than other places. Robboā€™s card to me hasnā€™t arrived yet ā€¦ :frowning: