No exchange?!

please tell me sent to Australia on March 24th. Today my postcard came back to me and it says that there is no exchange, what does this mean?

From the postal monitor (The Postal Monitor gives an overview of mail disruptions around the world) it doesnt look like Australia can accept mail from Russia right now.

and if the stamps are stamped. are they not valid? and I can’t send it later?

Hmm I’m not sure. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about the Russian postal system can chime in.

2 Likes

Perhaps the people in the Russian section of the forum.know this.

1 Like

A few thoughts:

1. Maybe ask the postmaster at your local post office if you could check in with her/him once the mail resumes between Russia and Australia, to send the card without adding new stamps.
  2. Maybe let the recipient know (even send a picture) that you tried to send their card but it bounced back due to the suspension of postal service.
  3. Maybe admin @meiadeleite might consider whether there is some way to address this challenge from the perspective of opportunity to have such cards registered.
1 Like

At the post office they told me that the stamps need to be changed. I wrote to the recipient and described the situation.

1 Like

What is wrong with the stamps you used?

1 Like

They are postmarked with the date. That is, they are used.

2 Likes

Last year, when mail I sent to India and Indonesia was returned to me, I was able to get a refund on postage costs. I saved the cards I was sending till later on when the folks in those countries said they could now receive mail.

1 Like

Whenever I send a postcard I don’t put a return address. I leave it up to the post office just to make the delivery.

2 Likes

Australia does not send to Russia or Belarus right now.

2 Likes

You probably got the address just before the suspension to Australia.
If you are doing swaps or tags here on the Forum, you should keep an eye on the postal monitor so you know which countries you can and cannot send to.

1 Like

Hi. I just looked at the Postal Monitor and saw that the U.S. no longer sends mail to China. I was surprised to learn this. I wonder why. I sent a postcard to China on April 2nd. I hope they will receive it.

2 Likes

More countries stopped sending mail to China for now, mostly because the reduced transit capacity caused by lockdowns

1 Like

I see. Thank you.

It will almost certainly expire. Whether they eventually receive the card in their mailbox… later this year at the earliest.

I’m in the same boat, just sent an official last week :sweat_smile: oh well I guess

1 Like

I have 7 cards that travel to Ukraine and I guess there is no normal postal service.
These poor people have had their lives disrupted and nothing is normal any more.

2 Likes

You’d be surprised to hear that it has been known for some things to get through. Or at least out of Ukraine. I really don’t know how. Well in some areas things are ticking along relatively okay, so it depends where your postcard is going (e.g. people from areas badly affected are evacuated to cities where things are still alright as far as that’s possible to say).

They issued a special stamp (yes Ukraine did) and I saw someone posting online that they received mail with that stamp, and people queued at the post office in Kyiv to get it (I saw that on multiple sources and a picture that looked legit, so I think it’s true).

Not saying anything is going well, but somehow your mail might get there - depending on where it’s heading to and the personal circumstances of the recipient.

1 Like