New: Germany's deepest mailbox šŸŸ With pictures!

What an awesome story! I never knew there was such a thing as an underwater mailbox!

Amazing!
Iā€™ll fetch out my PADI licence, and plan a trip, while weā€™re still in Germany.
But Iā€™ll wait until the summer, Iā€™ve only dived in the Red See so far!

1 Like

@gharbeia and everyone else, feel free to ping me if you need a buddy ^^ Always happy to go back to Hemmoor

3 Likes

Hemmoor is west of Hamburg, east of Bremerhaven

not sure who can help here but i am looking for such a postmark for my daughterā€™s next exhibit so that she can prepare it and participate in the next exhibit.
My request for the same is here :

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/request-postmark-request/614682?u=sunilmandaliya

Hi @sunilmandaliya, Iā€™m going back to the lake in august so in theory I might help, but to my knowledge there is no special postmark on cards sent from there (I did send myself a test one of course ;). The stamps were standard ones too.

Iā€™ll ask if this has changed since last time and will let you know when Iā€™m there!

4 Likes

this is indeed a unique postmark and happy to get one if you can by posting it to me direrctly

@Meowpurr if you plan to go there - I would love to receive one too if you can arrange. With or without special postmark, definitly truely unique ^^

Doesnā€™t beat Malaysiaā€™s :wink:

7 Likes

If only I could dive - what an amazing experience!

What a great story and fantastic photos! Thank you for sharing!
Good air!

1 Like

@sunilmandaliya & @Tetsuko & everyone:

A couple of people have asked me to send them a card from this very special mailbox and Iā€™d love to send one to each and every one of you, but I simply wonā€™t be able to find the time to write that many cards while Iā€™m there, and thereā€™s also the price: last year they wanted 6ā‚¬ for a card and given the dive base has increased all their prices, it might be even more this yearā€¦ 6ā‚¬/card adds up quick!

But I did buy my own fine waterproof marker (:wink:) and I want to make someone happy, soā€¦

There is a lottery now!

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/win-a-card-from-an-underwater-mailbox/630913

Good luck!

5 Likes

This is such a great story and a cool idea! I hope you have the most amazing time at the festival. And thanks so much for the lottery. Iā€™ll look forward to more pictures in due course! :smiley:

Thank you so muchā€¦I will mention a number of lottery now

What a great readā€¼ļø AND written by the scuba diver herselfšŸ’¦

This mailbox was even reported on regional television yesterday :star_struck:
An entry in the Guinness Book of Records is soughtā€¦

3 Likes

Oooh :heart_eyes: What record though I wonder, itā€™s not the deepest in the worldā€¦ We saw the Malaysia one :smile: Busiest underwater mailbox?? Haha Iā€™ll ask them!

2023 update!

Remember the shark from the original postcard design? Yeah, we met :grin:

So, the mailbox is still there, the price per card is still 6ā‚¬, and the Guinness thing was - Iā€™m quoting the guy that sold me the cards on the very first and queueless evening - ā€œsomething the boss came up with in the press memoā€ and would only be something like deepest mailbox in Germany, no attempt at a world record :wink:

I hyped up a lot of people who all bought some cards (& borrowed my waterproof pens :grin:), and I alone sent 10 this time!

They still have the old cards but there are 2 new designs, and I like the new ones a lot! One is showing the mailbox, the other one is a multiview with many of the sights in the lake.

Have a look yourselves - the first cards arrived :tada::

P.s.: The northern Germans in this thread may have heard it on the local news: there was a fatal accident at the lake last weekend (a scuba diver, a young woman), so you can imagine our festival was not as happy as it usually is :pensive:

17 Likes

So cool!

so coolll!!!:star_struck::star_struck: