Mysterious Card

I have recd once again two cards, where the message is written in a white gray ink. I can barely read my name and address.but the card ID and senders message is just invisible. Can some one suggest how to read these cards. Any trick or UV / infra red rays ?. I don’t think any body expects me to use such technology to read post cards. Please guide me.

1 Like

That’s really mysterious. Do you think they might have some laser technology at your local post office that makes the ink disappear? :sweat_smile:

Maybe they sprinkle cards with some sanitizer after which the ink disappears?

3 Likes

By the way, if I were you, I would definitely visit my post office and make an inquiry how they manage to deliver the card without my address on it.

The idea just struck me. UV is used for disinfection :thinking: May it be somehow connected?

Oh that could actually be a thing, though I meant to just make a joke! :o

The sender’s name appears to be “PAULA” or “PAVLA”.
I’m still working on the message part, but in the meantime you might very lightly run the side of a pencil lead over the writing, and it might show the words in white where they are pressed into the card.

Postmarked 7 May 2021, from one of the post centers whose code ends in 1; it’s either 01, 31, 51

If you can take another photo of the card tilted at an angle, so the bottom is higher than the top, I might be able to try again. The ID number seems to be at the bottom, and it looks like there’s a 004 in it, but that’s the best I can do with the current photo.

3 Likes

Any chance you can shine a UV (blacklight) on it? My guess is it was written in UV ink - this would be read by the postal sorting machines but not visible to naked eye. You can buy such pens on Amazon.

I recd 10 cards today so why only one of them got affected by laser.

That could be possible. Now i have to arrange for uv light. I wonder if that is what sender expects .?

I get about 50 cards in a month, so postman deliver any card marked in my post office to me without any effort…sometimes cards of some other person also delivered to me, which I repost.

As suggested I have taken fresh photo at angle. Also applied pencil .see if it helps. Thanks

But why doing this? Why buying such pens for PC? Does the sender expect the card to never be registered?

Could be that different inks have different stabilities. But really, all I can do is guess wildly. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Wow! How did you do that? I aimed UV lamp at the card but it didn’t help.

I see the word “INDIA” on the bottom of the address block in the last photo from the pen impression. As @Axolotl wrote, I wonder if it was just written in cheap ink. I have seen some very poor quality ball pens where the ink fades in light in just a matter of hours, literally! And oh yeah, German Kaweco royal blue fountain pen ink is just as bad as I discovered the hard way.

1 Like

I blow it up really big on an ipad and use the photo editor to increase the contrasts until something shows up.

3 Likes

@monarja I will PM you the message as best I could decipher it. The ID is not at the bottom after all. It is at the top left. But I need another photo of the top left, again at an angle, top of card at highest point (it’s okay if card is upside down) but don’t put pencil lead on it, please.

I also see the ID in the top left corner with my own eyes. Looks like there are numbers 400 somewhere to the end of it, but it may be my imagination as well