My Silliest Postcrossing Mistake Ever

Awwww! I :blue_heart: that! :smiley: :clap:

6 Likes

Last week, I was in a small town in Germany. I had written and stamped Postcrossing cards and addressed and stamped but not yet written vacation cards for friends in my purse, I saw a mailbox and know I mailed something, but I have no idea what. Iā€™m curious if any of my friends will get unwritten postcards from Germany late this week or next.

8 Likes

I am realizing some of my pen pals in Europe have the same exact last name as my neighbors and somehow once in awhile my postcards to Europe end up in my neighbors mailbox instead. Yes I was tired and the mailman tried to be kind !

6 Likes

I have done this too once!

2 Likes

I have once misunderstood a stamp asking, it was something like ā€œmake an icing to a cake with nice stampsā€, and I thought, they like decorations, and very specific, a cake, with icing made of stamps. And so I did it. Only after I mailed it, I heard or saw this saying again, with another thing and realisedā€¦they didnā€™t ask any craft to be made! They meant, using nice stamps is icing to the cake, makes the card nicer. I felt so so stupid and embarassed :fearful:, I didnā€™t even explain it in my card at all, because I thought they for some reason like such decoration. And the funniest thing is, in their hurray they didnā€™t comment the weird cake decoration in any ways :smile:

A newer one, and has happened at least twice: I read a profile, look their favourites, find something I like, favourite it, look at the sender, end up to totally different profiles, and remember they like some theme or topic, choose a card, write it and mail it. Thenā€¦I remember, it was the wrong profile! Not very funny, but I hope they donā€™t think too much ā€œwhy this card, why this topicā€ :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I got hurrey message from Germany that she got my card with remarks from post which said. ā€œinsufficient stamp value, add additional stamp and repostā€. Surprisingly card travelled from India to Germany with that remark. It was delivered to recipient. Now I make sure to buy stamp of correct denominations.

3 Likes

That happens to the best. I forgot to put on a stamp a few timesā€‹:face_with_peeking_eye::sweat_smile:

I have a stamp sheet of self-adhesive stamps that for some reason never arrive to destinationā€¦ the worst is when they donā€™t arrive to the postbox either :sob:
buying it was really a mistakeā€¦

1 Like

Not my mistake, but my friend was recently in Germany and then Italy. She mailed a postcard to me from Italy but then realized after that she had put a German stamp on it. Iā€™m not sure if the Italian post will send it on. Iā€™ll have to wait and see! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Which one should I chose? The one to post crossing administration as I received a card from Ukraine and it had no ID. Turns out it was card was for thanking me for trade which I forgot! Too many trades on the go!
Iā€™m just back from Europe and I was on travel mode. The first one I drew to Fi I forgot to write down the address on the card. No problem just go onto my email account! Whoops locked out after trying different passwords. I emailed Administration and the Fi lady, I need a address or you can wait till I get home! 3 weeks later still travelling it dawned on me thereā€™s the address on my home page, right front of me I felt so dum so on the card I apologized for the delay, so she will get LT card with an Irish stamp. I did sent out the other 29 cards with no problems!

3 Likes

Honestly, I think itā€™s really lovely of you that you went out of your way and fulfilled that ā€œwishā€ :smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :smiling_face:

If I were to receive this card of yours, Iā€™d appreciate it a lot (never mind that it was a misunderstanding :wink: ā€“ or if so, it might have made me appreciate it even more(!) :smile: :upside_down_face: )

I feel thatā€™s a very nice reminder that despite the fact that weā€™re SEEING / READING mostly English on Postcrossing main page and in Postcrossing forum, we actually have very different language backgrounds. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Once I decorated a card and completely forgot to leave space for writingā€¦ To a post crosser who explicitly mentioned the importance of the text part. Only enough space for the ID left. :grin: I had to laugh about myself, things happen.

8 Likes

Not a PostCrossing mistake, but a postal mistake.

I recently sent off to the UK to get a specific cancellation stamp.

I sent the postcard, self addressed & stamped, in an envelope with a note stating what I was trying to get.

I put an American global stamp on the card. :woman_facepalming:t2: I didnā€™t think twice about doing so.

The irony is Royal Mail mailed my (unstamped) postcard back to me, in an envelope with a note basically saying they canā€™t mail me the card back stamped bc of the incorrect stamp on it. I still have no idea how to get the correct postage though in order to try again to get the cancellation stamp.

5 Likes

That is a wonderful wonderful story! The ā€œicing on the cakeā€ is an English idiom about something extra that makes a good thing even better - your creative interpretation would be the very best icing on the very best cake! Iā€™m sure the recipient thought it lovely and sweet :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It should have happened one dayā€¦ i mixed up domestic and international stamps - very similar design, will never buy those ones again.
Now i need to decide if i am resending 3 cards straight away (2 of them are Tausendschƶn), or if i wait and hope for the miracle to happenā€¦

4 Likes

If they are not going to China or Russia, but to a country where they should arrive within 2-3 weeks, why not wait? The worst case would be waiting a month, realizing that they never started their journey, and sending new cards a month later. The best case would be saving money for more cards and stamps.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed that they will make it!
:upside_down_face: :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Sent one last week without the ID on. Sent another once I realised. Maybe I shouldā€™ve just messaged the person and told them what card to look out for? I once stuck a stamp on which I thought was UK 2nd class but it was a Ā£2 one , I really overpaid postage on that one.

2 Likes

Wait. La poste ist quite tolerant, If mistakes with stamps are happening. Maybe because it is like a big calculating game, because its allowed to use stamps with Franc and old-Franc, If you convert it into Euro.

1 Like

I forgot to put a stamp on an international card and as soon as I realized, I sent a second card. The recipient got both somehow! And very quickly!

2 Likes