MOTW/FOTW/GF - inaccuracies and inconsistencies

Lots of folks ask for FOTW and MOTW, so I looked them up to see about buying a few.
I know that George Everest might have been born in Wales, but is Mount Everest really something that Wales is famous for? Has anyone else spotted anomalies in the FOTW/ MOTW series?

PS although a historical/ legal accuracy, I couldn’t send anything that said that Wales was incorporated into England either.

2 Likes

I think it would be good if you change this thread into general country since I believe many popular series postcard have anomalies :smile:

In FOTW Indonesia they mentioned Borobudur temple as 1 of 7 wonders of the world. Well, that’s not true.

In GF Indonesia they mentioned Anggun as 1 of famous Indonesians. Well, she changed her nationality when she moved to France for her career. I prefer to see Indonesian citizen on that list, not French citizen.

4 Likes

@yudi

I would if I could, but I have no idea how.
My original question stands for folks who know more about Welsh history though - " do we really consider George Everest as Welsh"?

@roving

If you’re open to it, I could help you change the title to Irregularities (inconsistencies?) in series cards?

And move it to the Postcard chat section?

3 Likes

Changed the title! working on moving it

1 Like

There we go!

1 Like

Gone!

My two cents: I don’t do these series cards because the information on them is likely outdated (think population numbers, famous things etc), and there are just too many to collect.

Also: I think my own pic of the Singapore flag ain’t gonna lose to the FOTW :crazy_face:

Side note - not technically an inaccuracy, but one gripe I have with this is that Singapore is more than just the Merlion…
We have other sights like Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay Sands Hotel and so on…

3 Likes

I sent a lot of Norfolk Island MOTW and FOTW while I was there earlier in the year and lots of things about them did grind my gears.

None of the information is wrong as such, but there are numerous grammatical errors. The MOTW says “Greetings from the Norfolk Island” which is wrong. It should be just “Greetings from Norfolk Island.” The FOTW has lots of issues like “make sure you give cows a way” (??) when they mean “‘make sure you give way to cows.”

I really don’t like series cards for these and other reasons, but do send them because I know some people collect them.

3 Likes

I had look at GF card for India

Here it says Varanasi is the oldest continuously inhabited city. I think the correct place for this honour is Damascus (Syria) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In FOTW Indonesia, it’s written that 17th August 1945 we got our independence from the Netherlands. While in fact it was from the Japanese occupation for that day and year

It’s only recently that the Dutch government recognized our independence day in 17th August 1945. 78 years late :laughing: . Quite fatal I think

Also in some popular series like Countries of the world they have designs of autonomous region, province, etc (not a country). Maybe not really fatal but it does give an ick to me personally :joy:

I don’t collect any of these series but, without any offences, do people who collect the series really pay attention to the informations? Like maybe they collect it for the flag only or the fact that it’s a series card to collect, sent from the country of origin? Because I’ve received series card and I don’t really read the informations there :sweat_smile: (I look for the written messages and stamp more)

3 Likes

I have a few issues with the GF Canada card as well:

It says that there are over 30,000 lakes in Canada, which I guess is technically true, but it really it’s closer to over 870,000 lakes.

It also says that Canada comes from the word kanata meaning village in the language of the indigenous. The indigenous what? People? Which ones? It would be more accurate to say in the language of the Huron-Iroquois people.

Like others here, I don’t collect series cards, nor buy them to send them to others, but I do understand the appeal of some of them (especially the GF cards). But it would be great if they actually had someone from those countries double-check the information and/or suggest alternatives for the interesting factoids - while most are true, they are not what I would choose to highlight for many of the countries.

4 Likes

This sums up my issue with them overall — they are not ‘authentic’ in the sense that they’re nothing like what locals would make about their own country/region.

Relatedly, as I mentioned above, they frequently have wonky English on them and it’s not like it’s tricky to find native English speakers to copy edit.

6 Likes

I have noticed some are really strange too.
Like in one Finland related there were a mammoth (?), also wolverine (yes, there are these, but it’s nothing very related to Finland).
I also feel discomfort that Sami is presented only part of Finland, or some outfit mentioned, while Sami land is wider lands.

Also a pastry was named as “cookie”, when it’s more of a sponge cake -type.
Moomins drawn without licence to do it. Sometimes there was wrong swan as the national bird.

One has a word I have never heard anywhere, and I am not even sure what it can mean, and why it is there :smile:

Coins that we don’t have in use commonly (the smallest Euro coins, and I think that would be interesting fact :slight_smile: )

Still, I get it can be fun to collect this type series, but also it gives me not so good feelings, and yet it’s fun to spot these weird things.

I also admire the confident someone has, “yes, I will make a card series of countries I maybe never been to”.

2 Likes

I agree that the title should be

Irregularities (or inconsistencies) in series cards?

There are several I can think of that I would like to share in such a thread!

I think the old title is still up now. I see:

MOTW/FOTW Inaccuracies ( specifically Wales, but what about others ?)

which I feel is too specific

1 Like

Happy to change the title, but it was originally quite a specific question in the ‘Uk & Ireland’ area!

1 Like

Yes, I saw :slight_smile:
But what I also see is a few people inspired by the topic to share other inconsistencies and irregularities related to Series cards.
So, this topic and can one-time use for a very specific conversation about a very specific case (and perhaps closed by a moderator once resolved),
Or if you wish, it could be a longer conversation with lots of different examples! I’d be happy to share the latter :smiley:

2 Likes

You may not have noticed, but I’ve already changed the title!
I’ve not changed it to ‘series cards’ as that, I feel, makes it too broad (could include, for example, Blue cats) but I have extended to GF - which I didn’t previously know existed.

I noticed a new (?) series appeared.
Firstly there is a tiny mistake, wrong date for a holiday, when it’s normally celebrated.
But also I think two licensed characters, license not visible, and brand product image, that I know is not ok with it being used to sell other products.

I feel like I should contact them, I think some Finn contacted sometimes when there was a wrong national bird, that’s smaller thing, but I would now comment on 4 things, sounds very complaining :smile: and how do they not think this, I’m worried how will they react if I write.

I don’t know what I will do, but yes, inconsistence too.
The one mistake would have been very easy to check, so it makes me confused as well, why not check.

I would just send the message. You are helping them making their product better if you do.

I have noticed some odd texts on the Dutch cards. Like our independence day in 1581. I don’t think the majority of the Dutch are aware of them. When we celebrate independence day it will be 5th of May because of WW2.