Missing badge

There’s a badge called “Nice Reply”, which is granted “when your reply gets 10 likes”. My first reply in the share a photo has 11 likes. But I haven’t received the Nice Reply badge for it.

I know some badges get updated just once a day, so they may arrive a bit delayed, but there seems to be some hickups with them. For example, I did not get “first mention” when I mentioned your name with @ in “time of the day” -topic 4 days ago, but I got it two days later for mentioning another user. “Nice reply” badge came immediately after tenth like, though.

1 Like

I’m aware of the fact that some badges update only once per day.
I’ve been at 10+ likes for quite a while on that post, which is why I mentioned it now.

I agree, you definitely should have got it by now.

I wasn’t sure why this was happening either and after some poking, I just learned that badges can only be given within public categories/topics. Seems pretty core to the way Discourse was built so I don’t expect them to change this as they don’t consider it a bug but a feature, although I’m scratching my head on the reasoning for them to go this way.

The only reason I can see is that on the badge page it lists the topics that awarded the badge, and if they are not public, they may not be visible to everyone. Not the most convincing argument, but it’s the only one I can think of.

1 Like