Misdelivered Postcards

Yes, I think this is very likely. Somewhere between Finland and Kansas, your postcard stuck to the postcard of the postcrosser in Kansas. I think I’ve read elsewhere in the forum that this is called piggybacking. Once delivered to them, they realised what had happened and forwarded it on to you.

3 Likes

I’ve got to say, I absolutely LOVE stories like this. Thank you so much for sharing. It’s fascinating to think of the adventures that postcards undertake on their way to us. And one day, I would love to receive a piggybacked postcard so I could pass it on to its rightful owner, and thus become part of that postcard’s adventure.

5 Likes

I hope the postcard arrives safely to its proper destination!

I sent a letter to a new pen pal in Bulgaria and it took 9 months to arrive. The reason? It was mistakenly sent to Botswana! Last time I wrote Europe in big letters below the country. It seemed to have been sent to the correct continent that time. :person_facepalming:

3 Likes

I think you and @curry-king must be right! Thank you!! It certainly makes the most sense and is less mysterious than all the magical possibilities that were floating around in my head. :joy:

The postal system is certainly magical in its own way. :yum::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

So, this is a bit of a funny thing that keeps happening to me. I’m an acting postmaster for now, and what that means for me as a PXer is I’m the first person to open an incoming sack of untrackable mail and sift through it in search of cards. Lately, I’ve been seeing some very obvious Postcrossing cards, with printed addresses and IDs, addressed not to me but to someone in a different town in a different district. I think the folks at the sorting centre are so used to international cards with a certain look to their addresses being mine that they just chuck them into my sack (obviously, I forward them). Had anyone had similar experiences, like receiving a card that looks like it’s an official card but is obviously not theirs?

5 Likes

Hi! This happens to me not with postcrossing postcards, but with postcards in general. My delivery person probably also thinks “A postcard! That must be for her as usual!” so I sometimes get extra cards meant for people in my building or block. And then I play postwoman :grinning:

6 Likes

Though not a postcrossing postcard yet, but a random postcard came to me though it was addressed to someone else which happened a month ago, yes!
Sorry if I am being off topic but because it is similar to the topic you have shared it’s too good to miss…

Generally my postman doesn’t do this mistake but it happened. My postcards pals at WhatsApp group kind of hyped me to meet this new person whose the postcards belonged to and few of them went on to have fun thinking of various situations that I might encounter :joy:
Sadly it turned out to be a grumpy old man, a few houses down in the next block across the street who was not at all impressed with me returning his postcard :sweat_smile: (as if I had taken it!:rofl:)
Anyway I dropped it off, had a nice walk around that block met some street doggos whom I petted and came back home after a nice walk.

This was before the bad ugly hot humid summers. I am glad my friends had a nice time hyping me up and also a nice time laughing at the turn of events :joy:

From Postcrossing/(others maybe who knows?!) yes I have received two postcards recently with no name/text or even ID or even stamps (must have fallen in transit :sob: ) with just my address. And I haven’t been able to locate them. :smiling_face_with_tear:
Also yes
Once I received a postcard just with the ID nothing else written :face_holding_back_tears: i wish the person had written something in their language itself. :face_holding_back_tears:

5 Likes

Not a Postcrossing card, but I have received postcards meant for other people in my town. Since, I get so many cards, post office sends all cards to me without checking it seems.

As of now, I have got one card sent by boy to this parents. And two times in a row, I received Christmas cards sent from Germany meant for a girl. Those were inside envelope with return address, so second time I got the envelope, I send them a Christmas card back explaining that they deserve card from me because I got their Christmas mail twice :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Three or four times I found in my mailbox postcards for other people.
As I receive postcards almost all days probably they thought was mine.
No problem. I returned them to the post office :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

One time I received a card for someone a few states away, with their correct name & address. Maybe it got stuck to one of my cards? We just forwarded the card to the correct person.

1 Like

Here in Germany, it is a criminal offence to misappropriate mail.
I suspect that it is no different in other countries.

11 Likes

As, most likely, I get the most postcards in my apartment block, I sometimes had cards inside my mailbox, which were not addressed to me. If they were addressed to someone in my part of the block, I just put them into the appropriate mailbox.

If the cards were for other parts of our house (we have 4 entrance doors) or anywhere else, I put them in (public) post boxes. Sometimes that really hurt :pleading_face: as some cards were fabulous, but sadly they were not mine :woman_shrugging:!

Once I got an official Postcrossing card from Japan, meant for someone living in my district. I wrote down the ID, then “mailed” the card (= put it into a public mailbox) and forgot about it.

When I came across my note again, much later, I looked the ID up and it had been registered! :+1:

5 Likes

Once I got an envelope from the UK, containing a card adressed to me and a note, saying, this card was stuck to their mail somehow. So kind that the person sent it to me! :slight_smile:
Another time, I got a card from the US, that was missent to Korea first :laughing: Luckily, that it found it’s way to me in Germany, I hope it liked it’s little journey :wink:

4 Likes

I’m intrigued, who’s the famous neighbour? x

2 Likes

While living in Poland, I also had a situation like this twice, when the mailbox contained a letter with the same block and apartment number, but a different street name and recipient’s name.

I took the letter to the post office explaining what happened so that they could send it to the right address.

@Bille in Poland is also a criminal offense - regarding misappropriation

1 Like

Okay everyone please calm down. I took the card and delivered it to the neighbor. Lesson learned.

7 Likes

When I was living abroad quite often cards were missend to one of the other islands. That are the ones I know about because it was stamped on the cards. I am sure more got missend because instead of Dutch Antilles, you had to address it with Dutch Caribean since a few years. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Aw, both of these stories are so nice!

1 Like

It’s just so weird to me because I don’t receive any cards outside of Postcrossing - but it’s a rarer hobby here, so, say, my postal code is XXXXX, and I see a card very plainly addressed to XYYYY, but it’s still in my region, so I guess the sorting centre folks just go “Ah! Familiar! Must be for them!” and don’t actually read the address. The mail carrier (she handles untrackable mail forwards) and I just have a little laugh every time.

3 Likes

A bit off-topic, but I’ve got someone stranger’s bank card once. Address was nearly like mine, only house number was different. I didn’t realize it at first (as I was waiting for receiving my own card) and opened that envelope the card was in. After I noticed the situation I delivered the card to it’s true owner and apologized a lot.
I’ve also got a insurance papers of someone total stranger living in another city. Receiver’s name was right but address was mine and again, I was waiting for my own letter to arrive, so I realized the situation after I started to read the papers. I quickly returned the papers into that insurance company’s office in my city :sweat_smile: