Maximum Number of Likes?

Yesterday I got the following three messages in a pop-up, in between liking the comments on my lottery and a couple of other comments:

Thanks for sharing the love! You only have a few likes left for today.

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait 13 seconds before trying again.

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait 10 hours before trying again.

Just now, 11 hours later, after liking a couple of comments on my lottery:

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait 2 minutes before trying again.

We have a maximum number of likes?
If so, how can I check how many likes I have, or have left?

10 Likes

According to this, there’s a like limit, and the higher the trust level is, the higher is the like limit. But it doesn’t say what the initial like limit is, and I haven’t seen it anywhere else either.
If you go to the “hamburger menu” (3 horisontal lines) > users, you can see how many likes you’ve given today, this week etc.

4 Likes

Ah. Thank you for this! Very interesting reading. :thinking:

1 Like

I wanna like this because I just got hit with the same message, but I don’t wanna lose the last of my likes…

1 Like

The interesting thing is, after I got the below message, I could still go on liking things. Or at least it looked like I could, the little heart turned red, but every time the below message popped up and I had to click it away. :woman_shrugging:

You’ve reached the maximum number of likes. Please wait 10 hours before trying again.

Anyway, yesterday I didn’t like as much as I usually would. Not sure how I feel about that. :thinking:

Thanks for replying. :blush:

Anyone have any idea if this is based on a 24 hour clock and when it might roll over?

Or do you have wait ten hours from the last warning message regardless?

I’ve haven’t actually gotten the last message, just the1st warning that I only have a few left, but I’m in the middle of an active lottery!

I do wish we had higher limits, particularly for some games like lotteries where you use likes to acknowledge people participating.

1 Like

Just out of interest, how many likes do people who get this message actually give out a day? I’ve never been a ‘liker’, so my stats say 0,11 likes a day…

A couple months back, I tried to like as many posts as I could to see if I could reach the limit. I noticed that the 24 hour time period depends on when you liked something. For example, if I liked 10 posts around 1pm on the first day and then continued liking posts throughout the day until I hit my limit, say, at 9pm, I would have to wait until 1pm the next day to free up the first 10 slots for likes. But if I like 10 posts the next day at 1pm, I would hit my limit again until the likes I did at 2pm the previous day crossed the 24 hour threshold. If I wanted ALL my likes to be freed up at the same time, I would have to wait 24 hours after the last time I liked a post, i.e. 9pm the next day.

1 Like

This depends on the admins–since they set the threshold for how many likes you have–as well as what trust level you are at. The higher level you are, the higher your threshold for likes is.

From my understanding of the function of “likes” on a Discourse forum, it’s to help differentiate what topics or posts are popular.

Maybe if there is a need for additional types of reactions that are a little different than the traditional like, perhaps the admins could add other types of reactions in addition to likes, such as stars and emoticons. I’ve seen this implemented in other Discourse forums successfully.

Thanks for the info on the 24 hour clock - that’s kind of maddening that they don’t release all at once.

And yes, if there are other icon options to say - “yes, I see your post thanks” or “welcome to the game” that would be great to add them.

I do regular likes for posts I like of course, but I find with games, it helps to like posts to create a sense that people are seen & that you know they have joined the game.

And I do think many Postcrossers use a like to acknowledge a post or a pm exchange without having to comment. It’s a form of politeness & helps create a positive culture which is super important to an online community like Postcrossing.

So @meiadeleite can I start lobbying now please for some other reaction icons? :smiley:

1 Like

I wasn’t wondering about the limits, but the individuals amount of likes. So your stats are 1467 likes in 261 days, which gives an average of 5,6 a day (didn’t realise I could find such detailed summaries of other people’s stats).

I notice that people have stopped liking the posts in this thread… just in case. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I think right now we are still using the basic Discourse settings of 50 likes/day, with 1.5, 2 and 3 multipliers for TL2, TL3 and TL4 respectively. So, if you’re a TL3, you can like 50*2 = 100/day… which is a lot, I think. Unless they’ve switched if off, every one of these likes generates a notification to the person who wrote the post and there’s a risk that these become akin to spamming someone with notifications.

We’ve seen sets of different reaction icons on other forums… but so far, nothing I found neat or extra useful for us. @LC-Canada Which posts/situations do you see different icons being useful here?

1 Like

For game situations like lotteries @meiadeleite - “but I find with games, it helps to like posts to create a sense that people are seen & that you know they have joined the game”

And I’m at a TL2 I think so 75/day not 100 - I had 50 people sign up for the lottery & had already been doing some other things on here including a bunch of private messages.

“And I do think many Postcrossers use a like to acknowledge a post or a pm exchange without having to comment. It’s a form of politeness & helps create a positive culture which is super important to an online community like Postcrossing.”

So neither of those situations are what I would call traditional likes, like liking a postcard in the gallery or someone’s comment on a topic that’s why when @syaffolee mentioned they had seen other types of reaction icons in other Discourse forums work well my ears perked up.

Maybe we could be using a different icon for those 2 situations instead of a like reaction icon?

Anyway my 2 cents, lol

When I started this topic, I was TL2 and I had a lottery going. With liking other posts as well, I exceeded 75 likes.

For lotteries it’s nice to leave a like as a sign that you’ve seen someone’s post, maybe even a sign for yourself which you have seen and which not.
I can imagine when hosting a Round Robin the same system of liking can be used kind of like a check mark when updating the sent and received cards.

2 Likes

I found this topic when I started constantly running out of likes every day :see_no_evil:

Exactly when I opened a lottery and planned to like every person response to let them know I saw and included them. But then with scavenger hunt and uno tags going on (they eat enormous amount of likes) + liking all the pretty handmade stuff, people show every day (and not talking about nice stuff shown in the Handmade RR).

Also I use likes to show that I read a private message (it’s a bit exhausting to write ‘I saw your address, I will write the card and send it tomorrow’) and I consider ‘like’ as a very polite way to pause the conversation in private chats. Plus when somebody shows a card received from me - it’s nice to put a like there instead of saying ‘I saw it, thank you for letting me know, I’m happy you liked the card’.

It feels more and more frustrating (especially in private messages where you immediately feel like a dry emotionless person if you can’t ‘heart’ every message), and as far as I understand the only way out is to limit my activity and stop giving likes all around? :thinking:

4 Likes

I agree with @Xute in every point she’s making - - and wonder, could the Powers That Be please consider removing the limits on these tiny indicators of kindness, politeness, and appreciation?

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

my wait time right now is less than an hour…but it is very irritating when likes are how I track which comments I have updated. And since we are limited on likes I have to go thru and catch all the requests to join groups first, then I go back and do all the received cards…so YES, I have to like every post because they do sometimes jump around on me.

1 Like