Mail to China (2022 temporary suspension)

If I were in the situation where, due to the decisions of my government, 95% of the Postcrossing cards sent to me were delayed (virtually indefinitely in all probability), I would inactivate my account until things improved and also add a note to my profile to the effect that anyone who had a card travelling to me for over 60 days, or 100 or whatever should contact me with a request to register it. I know that this is breaking the rules, but given the circumstances, it would be the fairest thing to do for the Postcrossers who had sent me a card in good faith. I would also expect the team to do to Australia what they have done regarding China.

I have four cards travelling to China, none expired plus one recently registered by the Postcrossing team due to address issues. It will be interesting to see if they ever arrive

20 Likes

I feel the same way. If, hypothetically, Australia had the statistics that China currently has, I’d fully support a temporary suspension. People asking variations of ‘what if this was your own country’ as if this is a ‘gotcha’ question are being a bit disingenuous.

On the general matter, I hope for a return to normal for everybody ASAP :slight_smile:

19 Likes

and,

Maybe we can infer that the decisions (to suspend or to cancel the suspension) about Ukraine are made based on statistics too. And I believe that everyone, including me and @littlesthobo , won’t be angry or begin to regard it as reasonless targeted behavior.
Why do you be angry? I prefer to receive cards later rather than know that many cards are lost or damaged on their way. Cards are painstaking efforts made by senders which costs both money and heart, so why do we keep the address distribution only in order to make the 5% can still receive cards, while the cards to the rest 95% will be lost?

When will the suspension be canceled?

The suspension without enough reason can’t be good for both the team or the users, isn’t it? So Postcrossing have no reason to keep the suspension when the situation is actually improved (based on statistics). In a word, admins will cancel it as soon as most of the cards traveling now are registered.
By the way, if the words of “the block down is canceled and the delivery is recovered” makes sense, it will influence the statistics in the next several days.:relaxed:

I am waiting for the improvement of the situation.:heart:
@paulo @meiadeleite and more people working for this system, thank you for your work during this hard time.

35 Likes

Hi Paulo,

I am very sorry about the decision. I do not believe this issue has been fully discussed and agreed upon by the whole PC community.

What I can update you is that the worst situation (when Shanghai, a main distribution centre was in lockdown) is now actually behind us, and mail is slowly picking up and recovering. It does not make any sense to effectively ban our Chinese users at this time.

Hope you consider our view,

Yue, from Nanjing, China
18/Jun/2022

9 Likes

I understand your decision, but if you set detailed data standards for when to suspend and detailed data standard for when to stop the suspension, and apply them across all countries. I’m sure there won’t be so much controversy.

Can we get the answer for the detailed data standard when to stop the suspension?

5 Likes

So could you please send an email to every Chinese postcrossers to let them know your temporary suspension of Chinese postcrossers? Everyone have the right to know such event!!! Not every Chinese postcrossers use forum😅Thank you🌷

Also, Thanks a lot for each postcrossers from other cointries who say something for us❤️

13 Likes

Looks like such a cooperative approach is also applicable to China’s case.

Sorry to hear that.As you know,due to the impact of COVID in Shanghai.The Shanghai exchange office shut down.So almost every mail to China will be send to other exchange office such as Guangzhou and Beijing.So we faced a delay problem.Recently Shanghai is recovering so I think this problem will be solved soon.
I also want to say thanks to Postcrossing because everyone gave us help since the impact.China is now facing a challenge and I hope everyone can still support us by swap postcards or in other way.So I hope this problem can be solved ASAP.I also hope @paulo and other administrators can cancel this suspension ASAP

7 Likes

Today I check my mailbox.Found out 4 letter and a card sent from March to May.Seems the postal service back to normal.for you reference only.

1 Like

In my opinion, the situation in Ukraine is regional. But the situation in China varies according to the city level.
For example, if we know a whole oblast is under the situation of war, we can made a suspension. But though the mails in Guangzhou, the capital city of Guangdong province, can be delivered, the mails in my city, a little city in Guangdong, still can’t be delivered either.
Obviously the suspension of China cannot be in provincial units, otherwise it will cause widely doubt and dissatisfaction. But there are more than 600 cities in China, and the situation of them are various and different from each other. The policies are not clear and usually can’t be found on the website of China Post. Even the mails could be delivered to members living in a city suffering from the block down, but they can’t be delivered to me living in a city, where isn’t any medical case of COVID-19 after 2020. Should we suspend other cities and only keep Shanghai, Beijing and Guangzhou available? :puzzled:

1 Like

@every postcrosser
I want to ask you a question.Why do you enjoying play postcrossing.
Because we can received many different postcards.But bow Chinese postcrosser even can’t received postcards.Who will be sent the postcard from China.

@paulo @meiadeleite
Please promise every posrcrosser from China. In these time all the postcard send from China will be valid .When the China Post worked again ,The Chinese postcrosser should to receive same quantity postcards .

4 Likes

Thank you @paulo for your clear and comprehensive explanations.

I am sorry for the Postcrossing community in China, but it would be my guess that the Postcrossing project has some of the best data on postal deliveries in the world, and possibly the largest dataset. So if the project says that 95% of cards are not being delivered in the typical time, then we can have confidence in that figure.

If the Shanghai sorting office is back to normal, as described in posts above, then we’ll be sending a lot of cards to China soon and I look forward to that.

17 Likes

Yesterday I received 12 postcards from different countries, all showing 64 days of travel. Apparently we get postcards now (at least in Beijing), but they do take longer. But you also have to take into account the fact that the international transit center in Shanghai was shut down for 3 months, and the remaining 3 centers in China are too much to handle. But now that it’s back up (Shanghai is back to work), the overall speed of mail processing across the country is definitely going up. And your previous statistics must have included Shanghai, a city that was closed for 3 months. It’s not fair.

5 Likes

That’s what I have to say in this topic…look at my cards to China

17 Likes

According to majority of Chinese postcrossers, the particular situation is not a fault of Chinese Post, but yours (hold back cards and not actually sending them) and of your national post operator (not tracking the mail delivery to China).

1 Like

You should ask the post office in your country. You have no evidence that the problem of China Post caused your postcard not to arrive.

Thank you for supporting China💓

Oh dear! I always write the address using Chinese symbols, if the profile provides it and I never lost a card to China. In fact, my longest expired card is to Germany, more than 340 days already.

6 Likes

Hi @PurpleYing! Maybe you aren’t seeing all the postcards that you were supposed to get? I have one out to you that is expired, alas.

And remember, the problem compounds; when my card to you expired, your address was put back in the pool, doubling the number to China.

Anyway, I was so happy to see that you got a big batch yesterday and registered them! It gives me hope for my expired ones to China!

3 Likes

@paulo
Why are we angry?

1. No consultation with PCers in China
    2. Directly banned the address, no email notification
  2. Can only be sent but not received
    4. There is no standard for the time and blockade of the unblocked address (for example, the reception rate is less than 10%, and the number of members is more than 100), which means that it may be blocked forever.

Between mandatory inactivity mode, multiple email reminders, and banned addresses, I think the former is better. For example, if the police come to your house to search, if he shows a search warrant, he is legal and compliant; because he is a policeman, he can enter and exit at will, which is called trespassing. Now we can invent postcards, but we can’t give people the address. There are still many Chinese users who do not know about this matter. POSTCROSSING stipulates that for every postcard sent, another person will send it. It is unfair to us that the number of postcards that belong to us cannot reach us.

@alpski_popotnik According to my discussions with several other users, I think this incident is mainly due to the collapse of the international mail processing center caused by the Shanghai epidemic, which has resulted in the accumulation of international mail in the entire East China region and caused an abnormality in international mail across the country. Because the post is mainly handled manually, the reduction and transfer of personnel after the epidemic is one of the major reasons. Now China’s international mail is mainly supporting first-tier cities to prevent a complete collapse. And in a small city like the one where I live now, the authorities are no longer able to take care of it. Some people asked why they didn’t complain about the post office. The main reason was that the root cause of the matter was when the country entered the country. The matter was too small to attract attention, and it was useless to complain about the local.

@obdh 那位是中国人

8 Likes