Mail systems and vehicles around the world

https://goo.gl/maps/3Cpt3mdHUUFCkoFC6

This is a streetview image of the mail getting delivered on the Isle of Iona in Scotland where I used to live.
11 Likes

May I ask what’s the difference between the green & red boxes? Is one for domestic, the other for international?

1 Like

Ours have light blue colouring

Sometimes they use bikes in cities, or those funny little vehicles. I couldn’t find photo of them, but they look exactly like Norway has (few posts above), but are light blue. I often see them when I do my work route at city.

I live in rural area so my mail comes in car like this. Some of them are electric cars so you never heard them coming and on holiday weeks I have to stalk for them from window.

Then they also have lot of different size of trucks, all light blue so it is easy to spot them in traffic. Sometimes they even use the older vehicles that are yellow (the postal service used yellow colour before they re-organized as PostNord), but that is more rare and I think I have witnessed that only twice so far.

I am not exactly sure because I remember very little from the time I lived in Denmark (got memory loss from burnout :frowning: ) but I think the mail service cars might look like this also there. But that is more like a good attempt of guessing at this point.

18 Likes

Here they normally use the small electric vehicles you mentioned, but lately they used the old yellow cars sometimes. I guess, it was because there was too much snow for the small ones.

4 Likes

Yes, the green ones are for domestic use. The red ones for international mail and express mail.

2 Likes

To add to @AlenKa_NO 's post, Norwegian mail carriers also use electric hand trolleys to deliver mail in city centers.

11 Likes

images
These are the mail trucks in Canada

16 Likes

Here in Holland, we have PostNL
They mostly deliver by bike. (except for packages)
Our mailboxes are red.

13 Likes

In Switzerland most deliveries are with electric three-wheelers quite often with a trailer.

13 Likes

norwegian post’s slogan:

(we live to deliver)

12 Likes

I think Portugal is missing in this list :thinking: Let’s fix this!!! :smiley:

In big cities mail is delivered by foot or by a bicycle:

or even this new and futuristic electric vehicles:

In suburbs or smaller cities, mail is delivered by motorcycle:

And finally this is how mail travels from distribution centers to all country:

19 Likes

In China, mail delivery by car, by bike or by motorcycle

19 Likes

These ones are used by letter carriers on their routes in Canada too

10 Likes

I like this video of how the USPS works as it shows a lot of the sorting station processes for the mail.

7 Likes

Royal Mail in the UK as just started using drones in some more remote areas. I can see the appeal, but I’d sure rather a person delivered my mail and had a good job delivering it than a drone. Plus governments are going to have to regulate drone traffic or we’re going to have too many of them flying all over the place & I’m not keen on that at all.

6 Likes

And this happened in Canada last year - there are now 40 trucks with this amazing design in cities across the country. Part of the design was originally done as a special stamp to thank postal workers for their great service in 2020.

22 Likes

I have a mail vehicle collection of some sort… love them!

16 Likes

Hello! In Russia, the main mail of the country is the “Russia Post” car looks like a small bus, but for mail.

Link to photo of car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=автомобиль+почты+россии&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiD5J2r26fvAhUrtYsKHapsCk0Q_AUoAXoECAUQAQ&biw=424&bih=606#imgrc=yVR0yy0FQwPSmM

4 Likes

Our lovely postman almost could get every corner in China.

(Pictures from the moive Yangzhen’s Journey)

11 Likes

How does the mail delivery car look like where you’re from??
Here in the U.S. this is how the mail delivering cars look like they’re called the Grumman Long Life Vehicle made in Montgomery, Pennsylvania.
However, USPS says that they plan to eventually replace the current aging fleet of vehicles for newer environmentally better ones. It’s picture is under the current mail car below.

2 Likes