:postcard: Mail Suspension Alerts

Postal Monitor was updated for:
Brazil, Czech Republic, Puerto Rico, Thailand, USA, Virgin islands of the USA

As it is mentioned in the the first post or here, we take the following into consideration, therefore, Postal Monitor - which lists suspended destinations- sometimes does not match Post office’s list.

1. Information from a post office/government
    (including social media posts, photos taken at a post office counter, etc.)

2. Big data
    Postcrossing stats on missing/returned postcards
    e.g. Japan (surface only = suspended)

3. Preventive measure
    when status is not clear and the route would affect many active members

FYI: US Postcrossers : Postcrossing monitors FCMI (First-Class Mail International®) suspensions only.

USPS has updated their list today. As for China, it seems only Global Express Guaranteed and Priority Mail International are affected, not First Class Mail.
It also seems like they are still sending mail to Ukraine.
I am not sure about the statuses on Vietnam and Norfolk Island. They mentioned these two places in the email I received several days ago, but I can’t find any recent information about them :frowning:
And yes, as @Johnk60 mentioned above, the USPS is not sending mail to Russia

It’s already updated, thanks.

USA → Russia has been on Postal Monitor since March 1st.

India to China mails are suspended.
On the other hand, mail to many other countries has resumed.

Link - https://www.indiapost.gov.in/VAS/Pages/News/IP_29042022_im_review_eng.pdf

2 Likes

The current global situation has been quite an interesting experience for me. I did receive a Russian address soon after the recent trouble started–I knew the mail wouldn’t get through. Still I sent it, since that is Postcrossing’s instruction, but of course, it never arrived. Hopefully it will eventually get there, even if it’s years from now.
What I found fascinating, is that I have recently received cards from Russia and from Belarus, so it seems the U.S. is accepting mail from those countries, even if not delivering to them.

1 Like

India

Thank you @rhuqesmail!

1 Like

Hey everyone!
I just got a Russian address living in Hungary. Hungarian Post is not forwarding mail to Russia since March 2nd, somehow it was updated before in the postal monitor but now it’s been removed. Please take it back, there is no official info that our postal service forwards mail to Russia again.
Thank you!

@Chieusa Any idea what I can do as I keep on drawing more and more Russian addresses (especially because there are so many in the queue as almost none can send to Russia) but they will all expire before I’m even able to post them? As I said, there’s no official announcement as mail is not common here. It’s frustrating to write and then just see them expire

@TravelTessi We do understand the frustration, but we also need to be careful adding suspensions to the Postal Monitor that we don’t have a source we can check, nor an actionable way for us check if it ever gets restored, or else it runs the risk if being suspended virtually forever even if it may work again.

Are you perhaps able to get a complete list (and not just the big ones) of non-working destinations from Zambia? Perhaps at the post office they are able to share that with you? We know sometimes they keep a list (of working or of non-working) and allow customers to take photos of it — that would be great. If a photo of it is not possible, at least a list of the current state would be helpful and then we would follow up with you regularly to check for updates. Failing an official source, this would be the only alternative.

2 Likes

Hi, @VincentB
The update is based on this announcement on the the Hungarian Post website.

frissítve:2022. március 24.

Az Oroszországba tartó, vagy onnan érkező küldemények továbbítása 2022. március 24-étől újra lehetséges, mivel a nemzetközi szállítási útvonalak ismét rendelkezésre állnak.

Hungary → Russia resumed since March 24, 2022. (Please let me know if the translation is wrong)

Hello! On the actual Postal Monitor (not the list above this), I do not see Cuba. Am I blind or is it really missing. I wanted to check today if it sends to Greece and could not find it!
M.

Only Airmail to China from India is suspended. Sea mail is still operational.

4 Likes

China, New Zealand

@AureliaGould Postal Monitor lists counties that have information available to the public, or responded to our inquiry, or a local member visited their postal office and sent us an image of the flyer posted at the office, etc.

We have been trying hard to contact postal agencies many times, by email, twitter, facebook, instagram, telegram, etc., but not all countries respond.
Maybe some postal workers do not exactly know which routes are/will be available and cannot make official announcements.

2 Likes

I have received an answer from Poste Vaticane :vatican_city:! :wink:
I was told that not all of the mail posted there is processed by Poste Italiane. However, the suspended destinations are basically the same. The list on their website is to be updated soon. :wink:

I’m still waiting for an answer from Poste San Marino.

1 Like

Interesting! Did they mention any of the exceptions?

No, they didn’t. I guess they didn’t think I was interested in having so many details. Actually, the message said “solo una parte della corrispondenza vaticana è gestita da Poste Italiane. Per molte destinazioni operiamo in modo autonomo” (“only a part of the mail is handled by Poste Italiane. We operate autonomously for many destinations”).

1 Like

France

Following this interesting discussion regarding the situation for the Vatican :vatican_city: and San Marino :san_marino:!

I actually sent an inquiry about that to Poste Italiane :it: as well, if I get a reply I’ll share it here.

About Poste San Marino :san_marino:, I found a Notices page on their website: the last update regarding suspensions is dated 20/10/2020 and it refers specifically to the suspensions implemented by Poste Italiane.
I suppose they simply didn’t update the list, but since they mentioned Poste Italiane, their current list would probably mirror the one Poste Italiane update regularly (just to have a guideline if they don’t reply).

Thank you!

2 Likes

I fully understand. Sure, I will ask for the list when I’m going to the post office the next time. Thanks a lot! In the meantime, I also received some other countries giving me hope that at least some of my cards will reach their destination soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

It looks like we will be closer to being correct if we have both Vatican and San Marino follow the suspensions by Poste Italiane. I have mirrored the suspensions and we’ll try to keep them in sync.

Thank you both!

3 Likes