Lovers of Lighthouse, Leuchtturm, 灯, faro, 灯台

I simply love lighthouses and am keen to write via post to others that do. Any good sources of Lighthouse postcards? stamps etc. let me know if you like them also? any suggestions or ideas I can collect more lighthouses?

1 Like

Hi! I am fond of lighthouses too! )

1 Like

There is a lighthouse round robin group, it can be found here:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/lighthouse-rr/229591?u=eta55

This is an easy way to get bightohisues from around the world in exchange for trading some of yours. I have a lot of lighthouse cards, if you’d be interested in direct exchanges for lighthouse cards you have from England or the UK, I’d be happy to exchange with you, send me a personal message.

As a retired sailor, I am always intrigued by them. Beacons of hope, to find one’s way home.

2 Likes

Hello Nathan,

I have two good sources of Lighthouse postcards; write me a PM for those. Also, I have a good number of postcards for swap, depending of course on what you have to offer.

1 Like

You can marvel at loads of lighthouse cards in the wiki:

2 Likes

And here is the lighthouse tag, in case you also like to send them:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/lighthouse-tag/2369

If you prefer to send other cards, you could have a look at the wishlist-tags.

I am also a big fan of lighthouses, so I love the fact that the German post office has quite a few lighthouse stamps (new and older ones), and whenever I get one, I put it on a postcard! If you need a lighthouse card with a lighthouse stamp, I can send you one - just DM.
Greets, Michael

Have you visited any?

That page is not working. I will PM you and take you up on your offer.

I will DM you thanks

Here’s a list of Lighthouse stamps issued in Taiwan: https://www.post.gov.tw/post/internet/W_stamphouse/index_en.jsp?ID=2808

1 Like

Yep, I went to see many of them in our region and when on vacation - try to see the local ones ) In Russia Lighthouses - are the property of military and you can go up only in old, not working ones.

1 Like

This is a very simple question indeed,
Why do so many people like lighthouse postcards?

I haven’t seen so many lighthouse enthusiasts around me.
(Although a lot of dam enthusiasts :laughing:)

I have also thought because the very first card sent with postcrossing was a picture of lighthouse. But do you know any other reasons, considerations and deductions?

4 Likes

I think because often lighthouse is located in an interesting place with a view, so it’s most often a lovely view, and also they many times look cute and cozy (at least I think so). When I was small child, I could ski to the sea, where was a lighthouse, and you could climb the stairs and see the view. It was so endless view, often empty.

Also, I like the idea, often the area is dangerous, the light helps, there is this “connection”, protective element, and for me it feels stable, secure, patient, calm, like a parent almost :slight_smile:

And when I was on a holiday with my partner at that time, I read there was a lighthouse in the next village, so we drove there by train, and then walk in the strong wind to see it, he found it very strange :grinning:

Of course I don’t know why other’s like light houses.
I have always liked them, and dream of living or at least staying in a lighthouse location.

2 Likes

Well, I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m happy to tell you why I like lighthouses. I am a retired sailor, who specialized in navigation. Lighthouses were my tools of the trade for decades. Long before you see the actual structure when you come in from the sea (in some cases, you never do!), you will see the loom of the light, a beacon of hope that helps you get home.

If you’ve not been to sea, it is hard to describe the experience. It is vast in all directions, ever-changing but it all looks the same. It is not our native environment. It is a humbling experience to be out there and anytime you make landfall, there is a visceral sense of relief, of closure at the end of a voyage. My first Chief told me that every time we go to see we go to war, not because we were serving on a warship, but because the sea will be trying to kill us. That may seem a bit extreme, and there is certainly a bit of anthropomorphizing going on there. The fact of the matter is that the sea is indifferent to what happens to those who traverse it. That doesn’t necessarily make it any less scary.

Lighthouses also have a mystique because they are usually in very isolated environments, where they are often subjected to incredible weather extremes. There is a bit of heroism in manning a lighthouse in those extreme conditions, and in making sure that the beacon is there and operating (including sound, fog horns are often overlooked) for sailors who are at risk at sea, especially in rougher weather. So, while it is in the end a building much like any other building, it at the same time represents our strength of will and character in getting it constructed there, and our care for each other in keeping it manned and operational. In the end, lighthouses are symbols of humanity’s infinite curiosity and our willingness to go to extreme lengths to increase the depth and breadth of our knowledge. They are at the edge of the land, where land and sky and sea come together as one, the boundary of the known and the unknown.

At that boundary they shine a light and call out into the darkness to guide us back to what we know, and those we care for. That’s why lighthouses are important to me.

2 Likes