Long wishlists on profiles - what is your opinion?

i think they mean the greetings from from the postallove webshop, which are not that expensive. unless you count the delivery cost, which a lot of people seem to forget.

today i got a profile that said ‘papersisters’ on their list. a while back i got one that just said postallove. firstly i think it’s a bit strange to expect everyone to order from the same webshop (would make pc very boring as well) and also. most webshops have a big assortment with all sort of cards. if you want the koala card from postallove i’m sure you would like the koala card i’ve bought in my own country?
i don’t understand putting just shops on your list.

1 Like

Oh yeah, thanks, forgot about those. I don’t understand the requests for cards from certain shops either.
I don’t order postcards from those shops. I enjoy the experience of selecting and buying postcards in person (IRL) whenever possible.
My only exceptions have been a set of cat postcards from a small Japanese shop, because I couldn’t find them here, and wanted some unique cat cards. Sometimes I buy secondhand postcard books online if it is out of print . I prefer unique cards, even if it is more if a challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

A while ago, Etsy sent me a “please come back!” voucher which I used to get several Lou Paper cards. I tend to send those to folks who post lists, and I have one they don’t have yet.

2 Likes

Ha ha! That sounds like my profile. I realised I hadn’t mentioned on my profile how important ice cream is, so I just randomly incorporated it into another group. I really hope no-one has been puzzling about their relationship to each other, because there isn’t one!

1 Like

As someone with a very long profile, I wanted to get your opinion. Do you find it demanding? :see_no_evil:

I have divided it into a short and a long version and tried to make it clear that almost everything is OK (except for military stuff, Corona and clowns) and that a personal message behind all is the most important to me.
(An “ugly” card with a long personal handwritten message and some lovely decorations I would more love than a card from my favorites with only “Happy Postcrossing” on the back…)

The list in the long version is mainly because I am someone who likes such lists. It makes it easier for me to choose cards for a person and I find a list clearer than a long text in which all possible interests are hidden. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t find your profile demanding. If I don’t have anything to match your list, you make it clear that any postcard is welcome. It’s a nice profile and I would enjoy choosing a postcard for you. (And I know exactly which stamp I would choose.)

There’s a great thread here where we can get feedback on our profile:

3 Likes

No, you have ice cream and market place → ice cream can be sold in market place, right?

(And I wasn’t meaning it’s bad, it was just confusing for me. Especially when I often see a connection where others don’t, I felt like I were missing something. Funniest ones have been, when someone in their card have written to me "sorry I don’t see anything at all common with you and I’m what…? We are both postcrossers is already one!)

But now I am happy I didn’t ask them, it’s hard to explain and maybe a great risk they take it like they should change it or I’m pointing it as a fault, when it mostly was a little curiousity.

1 Like

I don’t find it demanding either, but I’m someone who likes long lists on profiles. I think a native engish speaker would understand fine that it is very flexible and not demanding, but I am wondering if someone who struggled with english would understand too.

It got me thinking, are links to a more detailed list a good idea? It could just be something like a pastebin that gets updated, and could also include details like collection numbers without filling up a profile. I’d like to hear everyone’s thoughts on this

1 Like

I really like your profile! There are many wishes to choose from. Easy to read and friendly. :blush:

1 Like

I personally like links to more detailed collections, but I also know that not everyone likes them. So it’s a personal preference and do as you feel good. If someone doesn’t like them, they can skip them. :slightly_smiling_face: But if you say you like FOTW cards and there is no list or folder in your profile of what you have already received, then I can’t know if you already have a card from my country. Then I may not send it to you.

I don’t like to click on random links and seldom do. Clicking on an outside link to go to another website or app makes it more work and takes more time. I prefer to read the profile and respond accordingly.

6 Likes

I agree; the whole point of Postcrossing is about making connections, not collections! Whilst it’s great to have a couple of ‘suggestions’, I think it’s unacceptable to have long lists or a ‘demanding’ tone to the profile that makes one anxious. Having said that, perhaps it’s a matter of language and people may be coming across more aggressively than they intend.

So true. I had an official recently who at the end of a long detailed list (brands/makes available selected countries with long folders to check for duplicates) had a sentence saying if you can’t meet any of these don’t waste your time sending me one - ie 60days of one of my few slots tied up when I could be sending nice cards to people who want them.

6 Likes

I really hope you reported them, because surely that sort of demand is not acceptable?

10 Likes

I think I was so stunned… I could look for it though I Don’t have that many slots…

2 Likes

Are they so sure members have the cards from wish list, because if not, and card were not sent, this demander will look suspicious with not registering cards.

So not only against rules and uncomfortable for the other members, also harmful to themselves.

2 Likes

To me it is not demanding at all! You do have a wide area of topics that you are interested in, that is why your list is long.

1 Like

Agreed, that person should be reported with their ‘lost’ card situation investigated.

3 Likes

Oh dear, that’s so sad, frustrating, and also against the rules. Please report them if you have not done so already.

2 Likes

Hi Tracy. I can see why you were stunned. I would be taken aback by this as well.
I searched the Postcrossing FAQs, and here’s what is said about such selective requests:

3 Likes