Library account with students

I work in a school library in Melbourne Australia :australia: I’m interested in starting a Postcrossing group as an extra curricular activity with the library as recipient to protect our students privacy. We would send mail as a group and make a display of the cards we receive. Our interests would be libraries, books and school life in your country/hometown.
Has anyone used Postcrossing as a group in this way?
We would also be interested in school to school exchanges where safety could be guaranteed.

I have seen group accounts that send cards.

As dar as swaps or tags, I’m not aware of any that have. But 1st time for everything

Yes, there are plenty of classrooms and libraries accounts.
Here is a card I sent to a school through their teacher. I think it was the school’s address:

If you mean you will list this as your preferences in your profile, I would keep it a bit broader e.g. say that, as well as books and libraries, a postcard depicting your town/anything nice is good and could you please tell us about school in your country? Because not everyone would have postcards depicting libraries and books available - I rarely do, but would be happy to send anything educational and talk a bit about school (as far as I can tell- I finished school 20 years ago and have no children!), or even better, about the library I use.
What I mean is, there are all sort of people on Postcrossing but certainly you can kindly ask to follow your topic where possible.

I think that also happens often, there are requests along those lines in this section of the forum and you can also post your own :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for all your comments. I’m excited to start our school library account.

1 Like

@secondhandrose I was browsing and I saw this post, could be useful: Looking for classroom exchanges!

(yes, I should be working…)

1 Like

Hi! I am a school librarian in Beverly, Massachusetts. I have a postcrossing group I started this year at school. I have about 10 or 12 kids this year. When we can send a card, I offer the information to different students and give them some cards and stamps to pick (our PTO gave me some $$ for it). When the card is registered and we have a note from the recipient through Postcrossing I forward it to the students. I scan all the cards we receive to share with them electronically and also made a display. Next year I would like to do this as an in-person club (which I could not do this year because of covid) and have kids send and see the cards as a group but also supplement by finding classrooms around the world to send some cards to. I don’t know what grade your students are – mine are ages 10-14 (we have grades 5-8). Please message me if you have an interest in any direct exchanges! I also have a personal account at AlixW

2 Likes

Hello ,

My name is Myriam and I am a History/Geography teacher in a middle school in Provence :france (southeast of France). My pupils are aged 12 to 15 and I started a “Postcrossing club” for them to learn how to write in a foreign language (English mostly).

They would love to exchange with pupils in same age (12-15) and to be sending and receiving postcards while practicing English (and Spanish). We could be exchanging on books they read, and I’m sure my pupils will love to explains their school life.

Usually, I scan every mail we send and receive, in order to make an presentation in the school library at the end of the year (and maybe this year, we will put it on the school website).
I hope we can match with your project !

You can write to me if you’re interested and I will give our email and postal address ! Hope to hear from you soon !!

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply. We have been in and out of lockdown here and students have been in remote learning. So I put this idea on the backburner however I am going to try and get a group going and we would love to exchange postcards with your students.

1 Like

Very belated reply here, but I’m a children’s librarian in Philadelphia, USA and I had a very similar project going with the kids at one of my former branches! The account I made for the project is here . If you do decide to bring this project back, I would love to talk to you about it! I ran it at my old library for about a year and a half before I was transferred to a different branch. The kids really liked it! By the end we had a very cool map and a photo album-style binder of postcards that the kids loved to look at.

I did find that the forum ultimately worked better for the project than the main website did, because some of the kids had a hard time grasping the randomness of the main site and were disappointed when they couldn’t write back and forth. But we made some really excellent postcard friends over the course of the project, several of whom we exchanged postcards with many times!

2 Likes

Hi there, we had a few students interested last year and I have just posted about exchanging mail in our latest school newsletter for the 2022 intake. Over the last two years we had lockdowns and remote learning so it was a bit hard to coordinate. Early this year students received mail from France and they were so excited.

1 Like