LGBT+ issues in Africa

Just as a reminder, being a LGBT+ person in Ghana and Tanzania is ILLEGAL, and in Mali they face rash discrimination. It would be nice if with your donation could go a message of tolerance and respect for the Human Rights :rainbow_flag:

12 Likes

And sadly the discrimination & violence LGBT+ people face is rampant in many, many other countries, including even countries like Canada which is considered a leader in promoting LBGT+ rights.

8 Likes

@LC-Canada Indeed. But anyways there’s a HUGE difference betweeen discrimination by others and discrimination and persecution by the state. If you (or whoever) are helping this people with money or are you planing to spend your holidays there I think that you should consider this. Of course isn’t just in african countries, as you said :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I am talking mostly about states, not just individuals and the list would be most countries in the world as we know. There are times & places to use your economic weight to try & change policy in other countries, but it usually works best if the people in that country ask for that kind of action.

We’re taking about supporting very basic needs like enough money to feed families or for basic education for kids through some local community groups in these countries, not the state. So I’m choosing to support these efforts.

And work on LGBT+ rights will need our commitment & action for the rest of our lives & it must continue.

13 Likes

Hahaha, how do you feel with the topic moved to this place? Did you flagged my comment? I didn’t mean to be rude with anyone

Hi Miguel! :wave: I moved these few posts to a separate topic, since they were a bit off-topic in the other one. This seems to be its own discussion (and not about postcrossers in Africa), so it’s better to give it a topic of its own. Not sure about the right category for it — feel free to suggest alternatives, if you feel those would be more fitting to the theme!

2 Likes

Well, it just surprised me cause with my first comment has the intention to make the people to consider that while using the links that @LC-Canada shared. Now that is in a separate topic I think it’s out of context. However I thank you for trying to preserved peace in the forum. I just think that a spark of visibility doesn’t damage anyone.

3 Likes

Being a LGBT+ person in Morocco is illegal too, and it’s the case in the majority of African and Asian countries.

8 Likes

It also issues in China,it is a miserable thing for a bisexual!
Love is love!:rainbow_flag::rainbow_flag::rainbow_flag:

5 Likes

Really? I hope someday that will change, look Taiwan, the first country in all Asia to change the law for gay rights! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think like @LC-Canada too. Most countries don’t have the capacity to think about these issues. I mean the most important issues are to have a working food and water supply, feeling secure in the environment (no war/drugs etc.) and feeling secure about livelihood (secure job, good payment).
Everything else like environmental and animal protection as well as LGBT rights comes next. Continents like Africa and Asia are quite poor, so a lot of the people there won’t be really thinking about anything else but securing their existence.

Hi Yen, just so you know, this short thread between Miguel & I was part of a larger discussion here on why there weren’t more people from Africa as members in Postcrossing & our discussion of LBGT rights was deemed off topic & moved here so it doesn’t completely make sense without the whole picture.

And just to be clear, he & I are in agreement about supporting LBGT rights.

His first post above here was in response to this comment below in the other thread.

3 Likes

And I’m not sure we completely agree Yen - my comments originally were specific to whether or not to support community economic & social projects in countries where the state has banned or made illegal being LGBT.

And I pointed out that there is a difference between the state acting against LGBT rights vs community projects that are trying to feed & educate the community.

I went on to say violence & discrimination against LGBT people happens in most countries, including progressive ones like Canada and this state policy against LGBT rights happens in poor & rich countries as well.

If you are an LGBT person in any country, yes, you might be very concerned with basic survival needs like food & shelter but you’re still also concerned about being able to just be who you are openly, get medical care or an education that accounts for your LGBT identity & to love who you want to openly without fear of violence or discrimination.

6 Likes

Oh I see! I just randomly came across this the African forum and wondered if there were any members from there. So apparently I only got a glimpse of your conversation

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a bit strange this thread is here at all now as it was only part of the larger conversation.

1 Like

I couldn’t have said it better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

But some very poor countries seem to have the capacity to prosecute and punish LGBTQ±people. One example is afaik Cameroon, where homosexuals are punished with up to 6 months imprisonment.

4 Likes

Its also illegal in Uganda and can attract stoning from community members

this is reality, thank you for being part of the social projects, it gets beyond donations but sparing a moment to check up on what is going on at the ground.

this can at least be done twice or once a year to compare if their is a recognizable development. Foster trainings can also be included to provide knowledge on how to effectively create income generating activities to put off reliance on donations.

nevertheless, it also requires a minimum of $5 to deliver a post card in an envelope from Uganda (transport charges to and from post offices included plus stamps) which is practically impossible for the greatest part of the population as they earn below $3 daily so be glad that you recieve a post card from Uganda

5 Likes

I feel so sorry to read that :frowning: We can’t send postcards from Brazil to the African Continent, I never sent or received anything from your the amazing countries. I hope to be able to send it as soon as posible.

A warm hug from a brazilian friend :rainbow_flag::heart:

2 Likes