Keeping getting the same countries (sending and receiving)

Perhaps it might be less depressing for you to do a bit of research about the area where “all those Americans” live? Channel your “depression” into creating messages like “I see you’re near St. Louis, the Gateway Arch looks very impressive!” or “Do you go to Cleveland often? The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would be really interesting to visit.” Or, they live in a remote area, but read a lot, surely, you must have read a book recently you were excited about enough to share?

Just a thought …

11 Likes

Can confirm. 41% of my expired postcards are traveling to Russia. As a consequence, Postcrossing understandably has not assigned any Russian address to me since the beginning of November.
(Note: I’m located in Moldova.)

2 Likes

Hi @cliffside,

What’s Tags and RRs. I do not know these…

1 Like

It’s not the individual person but the fact that I’m sending most postcards either to the US or Russia that I find depressing.

1 Like

@grizzabella It sure can be depressing to have to send postcards to Germany all the time. It is not about the country itself (whichever it is), but the missing variety.

Hello @Mona_Berlin

Tags and Round Robins (RRs) are activities that occur off the Official Site on the Forum side of Postcrossing.

■ How to Tag

Most of the tags work like this:
You send a postcard to the person above you.
Tag the last person in the thread by writing ‘tag @username’.
Send them a PM (personal message) asking for their address.
Write and send the card.

Follow this link to read about Round Robins:
https://community.postcrossing.com/t/how-do-round-robins-work/21

5 Likes

most of it has been said already and there are many, many discussions already about this topic on the forum.
but postcrossing is about connecting with other people. if you see it as collecting countries this might not be the right hobby for you. or you should at least take a break, as hobbies aren’t meant to be dull and depressing.

13 Likes

Thanks @cliffside

1 Like

But that are two very BIG countries! I am from the Netherlands, we are a flea compared to them and so are there a lot of countries.
I draw a lot of Germany, USA and Russia, but every profile is different. It does not matter to me what countryname I have to write. It is the person, card and message that matters. And the advantage of Germany is that cards sometimes are delivered faster than my christmas cards in the Netherlands in december. And my German has not been this good for years :wink:.
Happy postcrossing!

8 Likes

It’s been changing in the past 17 years and yes the topic has been discussed for 17 years. There were years when Finland was the most common sent and received country in the list, then Germany or USA. It all depends on the number of Postcrossers living in certain areas and most recently on political situation in some of them :slight_smile: I have been sending cards (not that many) for 17 years and it has always been great fun + I love all my 196 cards received from Finland.

19 Likes

And I started doing postcrossing when Finland was already closed to us. And that makes me a little sad. You have, in my opinion, the most interesting postcards.

5 Likes

If you want to exchange cards with other countries, I suggest you do more private swaps. It’s always a great possibility to get some extra cards from “more exotic” countries. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve checked the Postal Monitor. Wow, so many countries stopped the postal service to Russia. I didn’t know that! But it explains at least, why I got so many addresses from Russian Postcrossers lately. So the Russian Postcrossers get loads of postcards from Germany probably. :frowning:

But they still can participate in “official” Postcrossing. :wink:

I think that the algorithm which gives out the addresses is still challenged by the temporary mail suspension to China as well. The moment the mail suspension is over, we’ll all send lots of cards to China. :smile:

5 Likes

And @Mona_Berlin, as your suggestion goes in the direction of “suppressing certain countries”, you could have a look at another suggestion topic where we talked about this:

I am not suggesting “suppressing certain countries”, Cassisa!!!

2 Likes

So what are you suggesting? That the algorithm shouldn’t choose the big Postcrossing countries for you, or did I understand this wrong?

1 Like

I am not suggesting anything, @Cassisia. I am just stating facts. Most postcards lately I’ve sent to the USA and Russia. And I find this a bit dull. And this is my private opinion. But I did not know, that loads of countries have suspended postal contact with Russia, which explains that Russian addresses are sent to those people in countries that do still have contact with Russia.

I am very sorry if this is offending and provoking you.

1 Like

I’m sorry if I got this wrong. You posted in the category “suggestions”, so I assumed that you wanted a change in the way the addresses are drawn.
I’m not offended at all, I tried to share my opinion and find out what your suggestion is. :slightly_smiling_face: I’m sorry if this upset you.

3 Likes

I did
I get 95% USA
Even I tickes the own country box and mine is the most active one