Keeping getting the same countries (sending and receiving)

Im a bit of a wanderlust and I get the excitement of sending a card to some place exciting in our minds.

Youve done nothing wrong. Its just the luck of the draw. USA Russia Taiwan China and Germany have the most active members sending cards. For each card registered they get a card due to them and you just happened to get their addresses.

Maybe try requesting addresses at a later time. When such users maybe asleep. Sooner or later youll get an out of ordinary address. Have patience.

3 Likes

If I draw a name early in the morning I usually get a European country…just keep sending, eventually your stats will even out. I think when I joined there were lots going to Finland, but that’s less common now. When Russia and China get added again you will draw those addresses a lot!

1 Like

if you want more of a variety, I am happy to do a direct swap.
Sara

1 Like

Yes, it’s normal - coming from Canada - Germany & the US will always be the countries we send to most often & receive from most often.

It’s skewed even a bit more towards them right now as Canada can’t send mail to Russia, Belarus & Postcrossing has stopped giving out addresses to China because of problems with their postal service.

30%-32% of my cards are from or to Germany & 21% to & from the US.

These are all the countries with more than 10,000 members (see list below) & you will draw addresses from them most often. Countries with members below 10,000 will be a lot less frequent because the algorithm is trying to spread those addresses evenly across the whole Postcrossing membership.

The algorithm also has to account for which countries send the most postcards (Top 10 in order of most sent): Germany, Russia, USA, Netherlands, Finland, China, Taiwan, Belarus, Czech Republic & Japan
From this source: Explore countries and territories in Postcrossing

Countries/members
RU Russia 114,164
TW Taiwan () 107,257
CN China 73,154
US United States of America 70,839
DE Germany 58,505
NL Netherlands 39,668
PL Poland 32,617
BY Belarus 32,125
UA Ukraine 26,728
CZ Czech Republic 21,925
GB United Kingdom 17,845
FR France 17,381
FI Finland 17,226
JP Japan 11,695
IN India 10,990
CA Canada 10,820
TR Turkey 10,732
HK Hong Kong (
) 10,193

2 Likes

Unfortunately, this has been heavily influenced by the fact the current disruption of the postal services to Russia and other countries. And yes, direct swaps, tags or RR could help.

Direct swaps could help

As a Malaysian, I see that Postcrossers from a wide variety of countries tend to be active around 9pm Malaysian time (UTC+8), so maybe request at this hour lol

And I get all the Russia :smile: In the last 20 postcards I have sent 1 went to Germany, 2 to the USA and the rest to Russia, making it 85%. It is funny to read people complaining about getting German addresses all the time because I mostly get Russian addresses. These are my sent cards stats from the last 9 years. If I counted the postcards that are still travelling, it would make Russia the winner with 51%. I don’t mind it, I just find it interesting :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Fascinating Hana and just to be clear, I’m not complaining, just responding to the OP AndreaMGC. I’m happy to have Germany be my top draw.

1 Like

I know, I didn’t mean you. Sorry if it sounded that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

You didn’t do anytthing wrong, to add to the other answers:
Maybe try to draw an adress when a lot of German/US postcrossers register cards.
I’m not sure if it’s helpful, but perhaps then there would be more variety of adresses from other countries in the pool of recipients?
(It’s speculative, though.)

And - not a direct answer, but my personal re-thinking:
In the beginning I wanted to have as much different countries as possible - but since then I made a bit of experience how I feel, when sending or receiving a card. And that doesn’t referr to the country of origin at all. But on how connected I feel or how much joy it is to write/receive a card.
Since I discovered how the amount of joy depends on other factors than the country, I focus on these other factors.

1 Like

Today was a pretty good example of the randomness of it all I think: I got three postcards from Germany in the mail. In the past days though, I drew addresses from India, Serbia, Thailand and Australia, all countries I have never come across yet!

So I would say it’s just a process, my German cards seem to hover at around 35% (although I haven’t been doing this very long…)

2 Likes

I have nine slots at present, going to nine countries: domestic USA, Australia, Germany, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus, Switzerland, Iceland, and China.

I’ve yet to pull Taiwan although they have so many members. I’ve had one so far to France, which surprises me as they have a large presence here as well.

I think it’s pretty normal. USA and Germany send a lot of cards, so they have to get a lot of them too. I send 22 % of my cards to the USA at the moment. That’s double the amount of cards the next country gets.

I don’t know if there is a thread for topic with “keeping getting different countries” but I was just looking at my traveling list and it seems I have 15 going until came same country. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :four_leaf_clover: I think there have been more variety for me lately :thinking: :blush:

5 Likes

Finally… a new country :melting_face:

Capture

2 Likes

I noticed the same in May and June.
It might be a result from that in Finland we are not sending cards to Russia and Belarussia right now, and they are two big Postcrossing countries.

It is nice to have variety, in June I got four new country into my sent stats.
Yet I don´t feel an overflowing joy.
I must say, that I miss Russian and Belarussian postcrossers. A lot.

I am dreaming of getting Russian addresses, because it would mean the end to Russia´s attacking and peace to Ukraina. I am dreaming of peace.

12 Likes

The current contrast between my recieved and travelling cards is quite stark!

Here my travelling ones (including an expired card to China :smiling_face_with_tear:)

Screenshot (52)

And here is my (almost) perfect streak of German received cards!

4 Likes

I got a card from Jordan only a few days ago, I was so happy!

I do understand the reasoning behind Germany, Russia and USA, but I am continually crossing my fingers for a different country. And then I go interesting a friend for this whole Postcrossing. From the USA :grin:.

I am beginning to cringed every time I request an address to send a postcard because 3 out of 5 postcards are to Germany. This is NO fun. There are over 200 countries in this world, and somehow I always get the same countries over and over again (Germany, Finland and The Netherlands). I have complained and I’ve been told it is a random selection. I don’t believe it! It’s getting to the point that I will simply leave one day because it has become NO fun anymore. AArrgg!

How would you change the situation then?
If there are for example 100 members in Finland, 100 in Germany, 100 in USA and 5 in Poland, Sweden and Indonesia (to simplify) are we supposed to leave some members without their cards, just because another member doesn’t like getting that country? Shuold we limit member amount from a country or cards sent from a country (no)?

You are part of the problem :smile:, as I only get Germany and USA.
I have 45 travelling, all to USA and Germany, but one to Malaysia, Ukraine and Netherlands.

But to me it’s fun. I will not draw an address, if a country makes it no fun.
Think sending to a person, an individual, not a country :slight_smile: remove the borders and think the country name as a mean to get the card to this person, like a street name. All cards go the this same planet.
Maybe choose to send in your own country too?
I’m curious how would you feel different sending to me if I were in Sweden now? I’m not sending anything back normally. But now, when you send to Finland, maybe you get a card from Sweden.

Or maybe a little break. I would definitely take one, if this would be no fun.

Then how you think addresses are given?

25 Likes