June 11, 2024 USPS Sea Turtles Stamp Dedication

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Corpus Christi, Texas, USA
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Texas State Aquarium
2710 N Shoreline Blvd
Corpus Christi, TX 78402
:calendar: DATE: June 11th, 2024
:alarm_clock: TIME: 11:00 AM CST
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN:

The USPS is dedicating a set of 6 Forever stamps in the new “Protect Sea Turtles” issue.

The stamp dedication and meetup will be held at:
Texas State Aquarium
2710 N. Shoreline Blvd
Corpus Christi, TX 78402

The meetup will take place immediately following the conclusion of the dedication ceremony, I will have a sign with the Postcrossing logo or something so that we can find each other.
The USPS will have the black and white first day of issue special postmark available at the event. The digital color postmark is available by mail from the USPS.

Meetup Card
This is the design for the meetup card:

What should I expect from a stamp dedication ceremony?
The USPS will have some individuals speaking briefly about the new stamp, then they will do a curtain drop to reveal the new stamp, and then special first day of issue postmarks will be available. Attendees usually receive a “Ceremony Program” listing the speakers and a lapel pin showing an image of the new stamp. The people speaking at the event will be:
David Camp, district manager, Texas 2 District, Postal Service

Jesse Gilbert, president and CEO, Texas State Aquarium

Eric Brunnemann, superintendent, Padre Island National Seashore, National Park Service

Jay Bigalke, editor in chief, Linn’s Stamp News

Jeff Fleming, deputy regional director, southwest region, U.S Fish and Wildlife Service

Shannon Bettridge, chief, Office of Protected Resources, Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Conservation Division, NOAA Fisheries

15 Likes

We met at the NYC December 2024 meet-up! I’m unable to attend this meet-up. It sounds like a fantastic meet-up with your guest speakers. Wish you much success. Hopefully, I’ll see you again soon.

1 Like

Per the Corpus Christi, TX Post Office, the First Day of Issue Dedication Ceremony for the Protect Sea Turtles stamps will be held Tuesday, June 11, 2024
at 11:00 AM CDT at the
Texas State Aquarium
2710 N Shoreline Blvd
Corpus Christi, TX 78402

1 Like

Thank you! I updated it :+1:t2:

1 Like

You’re welcome. I hope to attend the ceremony. Will there be any cost for your postcards? I just joined the Postcrossing Community today. I did attend last year’s postcrossing event sponsored by Linn’s Stamp News in Cleveland at The Great American Stamp Show. I was searching today for info on the stamps and your post came up.

1 Like

I will be in attendance!

1 Like

Awesome! I was at the GASS meetup too, I was the guy at the front of the room helping Jay pass out the postcards. I’m glad to hear you’ll be able to join us for this event as well.
Yes, the postcards will just cost whatever it costs to print them. They should be between 20¢ and 50¢ each, it’ll just depend on however many I order and if VistaPrint is running a sale. When we order more, we get a bulk discount, but if there’s only 4 of us going I’ll probably just order 100 or so.

1 Like

Will this be inside the aquarium? Asking so I can anticipate entrance fees.

Yes it’s inside the aquarium but entry is free if you’re attending the dedication ceremony!

1 Like

Thanks for your prompt response! I’m am putting it on my calendar now!!

1 Like

Good afternoon,
Thank you so much for the invite. I will be in attendance and look forward to meeting up with you.

:pray:t4::hugs::heart:

1 Like

Hello, dear postcrossers!
I would be very interested in exchanging the beautiful card.
My offers:

Have fun at the meetup and thank you in advance.

1 Like

I found a registration link (second posted link) via their employee news page (first posted link).

https://news.usps.com/2024/06/04/protect-sea-turtles-stamp-ceremony/

1 Like

Thanks for posting this! We’re heading there on the 11th for the ceremony and thanks to your post, have joined the community!

1 Like

Just got my confirmation email from the usps! I’m so excited for tomorrow

1 Like

Hello all! I’m looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. The meetup will start right after the ceremony concludes, here is a photo of me in the shirt I’ll be wearing so you can easily find me:

Hola…
Facing the speaker…are you on rhe left side, third row?

1 Like

Yes!

Anyone want to swap for these pictorial postmark? I can offer European special postmarks…

Is anyone here? I’ve asked around but it doesn’t seem like anyone knows what Postcrossing is or where the people are at.