Japanese Junior High School Postcard Project *Closed but will update about project!*

Closed, but stay tuned for progress updates and gratitude!

Everyone, thank you, truly. I can’t put into words how moved I am by the support for this project.

Hello lovely postcrossers!

I am an assistant English language teacher in a small town Japan. I and my school of 64 students (one class in each grade) would love to exchange postcards around the world!
After telling my students about postcrossing and showing them some postcards I’ve received myself, they were really excited by the idea. They are keen to send postcards to connect with people from various cultures.
I’m hoping to be able to display them in the school as a cultural project.

The students, aged 12-14 are working on making postcards and writing about themselves and their hometown in English and can’t wait to send them! I might even see if any of the teachers would like to join the fun :slight_smile:
We would love to read messages from people all over about your lives and interests, where you live, your local cuisines etc. If you would like to participate, please send us a postcard in fairly simple English to:

Abu Town Junior High School
3050-3 Nago, Abu, Abu District,
Yamaguchi 759-3622
JAPAN

Or

〒759-3622 山口県阿武郡
阿武町奈古3050-3
阿武町立阿武中学校
日本 JAPAN

Don’t forget to write your own address to recieve a reply! If you would like to recieve one of the more quickly finished postcards sooner, you can also PM me your address.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Sofia

Update 6th, June:
The students (and I) were over the moon when I told them about the response to this post and how many people offered to send postcards over the weekend! Thank you all! They finished their drafts today and will be making good copies in the next day or so.

Update 19th, June:
To all you wonderful, beautiful people participating: Thank you, again and again. The response has been quite overwhelming and I truly did not anticipate that so many kind people would join the fray! I’ve had to brace myself every time I return to my desk after the post has arrived to find another handful of cards, so as not to start ugly-crying in front of my coworkers! Especially because staff gather at my desk to look at them, too :sweat_smile:! I am so moved that people from so many different places have been willing to share a little piece of their world with my students.
I’ve begun displaying them in the school foyer in a way that the students and teachers can turn and read them, and even the small number I’ve put out has drawn a little crowd :grin: I will post progress pictures soon!
School is off today, so when I am back at my school desk tomorrow, I will write again thanking all you gorgeous senders more specifically, and update the country list.

Update 21st, June
If I could, I would continue this project forever, but we only have a few students and I will be moving on from this school after this semester. This project is like my parting gift to the school.
I want to make sure every participant who is hoping for a postcard from our school receives one, and we are already close to capacity and expecting more cards to come. So, unfortunately, I will have to close this project. I will definitely encourage my successor to consider trying a project like this, as it has been so wonderful for the students and the teachers. It has connected this little rural town with the world in an unexpected and lovely way.
It has been so popular that my colleagues at the elementary school next door (that I also occasionally teach at) want to join in! The sixth year class there has already started making postcards in class and want to send them. I hope some of you don’t mind possibly receiving one of these in return! If you don’t want one of these, please let me know. I also have a couple of teachers who want to send postcards too!
I will post pictures of the project wall and the students’ postcards soon.

Here are the countries from which people have kindly offered to send postcards so far:

Taiwan
Japan
Germany
USA
Malaysia
Sweden
Ukraine
Netherlands
England
Canada
India
Australia
Finland
Russia
Sri Lanka
Italy
Belgium
China
Brazil
Singapore
Latvia
Thailand
Hong Kong
Austria

52 Likes

PM sent!

3 Likes

I can’t help with the project as I already live in Japan (!) but it’s nice to see someone else in Yamaguchi. My very posting in Japan was in Ube!

9 Likes

PM sent!

2 Likes

PM sent!

2 Likes

Postcards from Japan are also welcome! As long as there is a little bit of English or foreign culture, it doesn’t matter where it comes from :blush:
I’ve been to some great restaurants in Ube :grin:

3 Likes

Sending a postcard.

Corinne

2 Likes

Postcard will be on its way tomorrow :slight_smile: Lovely project :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great way to teach them English. Ill send a postcard. May they reach your students soon.

4 Likes

@porcufish

Hi, I am from Japan myself, living in Osaka. I recently travelled to wonderful Serbia, Europe.

I can send a card of Serbia from Osaka for your beloved students if you like :hugs:

Just one little suggestion :

How about keep on listing the names of countries where the cards are coming from in your first post by editing through a little pen mark you see on the bottom right below your first post ? That way, people on the forum could tell which countries are “missing” currently. I hope it helps your students to receive as many cards as possible from various countries in the world :hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you! We would love to receive a postcard from you.
The list is a lovely idea! It will also help me keep track :grin:

1 Like

Dear Sofia,
I was wondering if I could send card from Japan too, thanks for the additional information!

My husband (who is also from Yamaguchi! He is from Iwakuni, close to Hiroshima)
went to Qatar as broadcasting crew for Soccer World Cup last year,
And he bought me back some postcards from there :qatar:
I think it’s quite rare, so will send it to your students writing message in English :wink:
Will add pictorial postmark (風景印) from Yokohama area where I live,
No need to send anything back, hope they enjoy reading it :smiling_face:

Sincerely,
Ayu

4 Likes

I will send a card :slight_smile:
My address will be on the card incase they would like to respond.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Ayu! That would be wonderful :heart_eyes:
I really like Iwakuni! I have never been to Yokohama though. Perhaps some day I’ll get there!

1 Like

Hello! I will be happy to send some postcards from Ukraine :blue_heart::yellow_heart:

4 Likes

Hello colleague,

I will send a postcard from the Netherlands! I have done a postcrossing project in my class a couple of months ago and it was an amazing experience.
Have fun!

4 Likes

That’s a really wonderful idea. It’s only been half a year since I started postcrossing, but I always think that studying English would have been more fun if I had started when I was a student.:joy:
Postcards from Japan are also acceptable, so please let me participate. I plan to send the postcards I bought while traveling abroad.

Nao

2 Likes

Thank you!
I saw your post when looking for inspiration but I had just missed out on participating :sweat_smile:
Next time!

1 Like

I hope English becomes more and more fun as you postcross!
Thank you for participating :blush:

Great project!
My son,12, will send you a postcard,
so he can practice some english. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes