Is it ok to use a pride šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ stamp when sending postcards to your country?

If I remember correctly, it was not a problem to send the gay themed Tom-Of-Finland-Stamps to Russia a few years ago. This topic was discussed on the old forum, I think.

4 Likes

I think itā€™s okay to send cards with those stamps to Belarus. Our country is not exactly LGBTQ+ friendly, but, as post office worker, I might say that I really doubt that anyone will care. I canā€™t imagine our postman throwing away card because it has rainbows on it or something :sweat_smile:

Also, this is just my opinion, but I think that itā€™s better to save those stamps to people who openly stated their desire to receive such cards or stamps. Like I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible to get in trouble with post office for those stamps, but imagine your receiver who lives with homophobic relatives getting in trouble because of card. You donā€™t know everyoneā€™s circumstances. Maybe Iā€™m being overdramatic but, in my opinion, itā€™s better to be safe than sorry.

23 Likes

These pride stamps would be fine to send to Australia. Our post office issued some stamps a couple of years ago to celebrate marriage equality becoming law. Australia Post have some more info and images: https://australiapostcollectables.com.au/stamp-issues/marriage-equality

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your comments - theyā€™re all really helpful! :hugs:

@LC-Canada I agree, itā€™s best to ask when youā€™re swapping or tagging - my main concern is about the officials where thereā€™s no such option.

@kafkaisnotdead This is not overdramatic at all! Iā€™ve thought about it too, to be honest. Although these pride stamps are fairly ā€œdiscreetā€ (meaning there arenā€™t any words like ā€œLGBTQ+ā€ or ā€œprideā€ on them and the rainbow is bearably noticeable), I wouldnā€™t want to put someone in trouble. Even in ā€œLGBTQ+ friendlyā€ countries there are sadly still a lot of homophobic parents/relatives/neighbors/people in general who could give a hard time to the recipient of the postcard.

7 Likes

great stamps. Here in Austria no problem to use this stamps

1 Like

No problem to China.They all great stamps,very beautiful!

3 Likes

In Slovenia, postcard or letter with such stamps would be delivered without problem if speaking about the postal system; some conservative postmen might not be happy to see it, but that is their problem.

Sloveniaā€™s 2021 stamp from Greetings stamp series even celebrates love of all kinds:

48 Likes

I dont think it will be a problem in the philippines. It will be very welcome and its really beautiful.

5 Likes

Given my experience with swaps & lotteries on here, I wouldnā€™t use them for officials unless I saw an explicit - ā€œsend Pride/LGBT cards without envelopesā€.

Even with just a listing of LGBT, Iā€™d want to ask first, you just donā€™t know their privacy needs, family or work circumstances.

Iā€™ve had a number of people say to me - Iā€™m out online, but my Mom/Dad picks up my mail & I donā€™t want them to see or know etc.

4 Likes

Yes to the UK :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I love these! Iā€™m especially happy to see them because I lived in Greece as a student almost 30 years agoā€“so I am grateful to see LBGT progress there, just as Iā€™ve been grateful to see it in my own country.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™d love to receive those on a card!

If I had any such stamps to send (alas I donā€™t) Iā€™d only hold back from using them if I thought that doing so might get the recipient in trouble with the authorities or might prevent the card from being delivered.

1 Like

I would personally use them on cards to absolutely everywhere. The countries that donā€™t have LGBT+ equality (and yes Iā€™m looking at my own country as well) need to seriously get with the times and stop being discriminatory.

14 Likes

Personally Iā€™d handle it the other way around - I would feel free to use them unless the profile stated that it could cause the receiver problems. Otherwise it would feel a bit like self-censorship to me.

8 Likes

Not all of them :slight_smile:
I turned 50 this year, and I am completely open-minded. I even have a gay friend. And one can be an old-minded even at the age of 20. I have another friend 15 years younger than me, and he is homophobic :laughing:

16 Likes

there is a difference between not accepting something and discrimination though. you may not like it that iā€™m gay and thatā€™s cool. iā€™m not a big fan of straight people either (although i do have one straight friend). but in a lot of countries there are still people beaten, thrown out of their homes, not even allowed to talk about being not straight. in about 70 countries thereā€™s still the death penalty for people who are not straight.
that has nothing to do with acceptence. and i wouldnā€™t dare to send a pride card or stamp to someone in a country like that and most likely make their life a little bit harder.

10 Likes

I love those stamps. Like everything in life, though, we should try to use our best judgement.

Hereā€™s a breakdown of LGBT rights by country, which may help you determine if using one of those stamps is appropriate.

I think in most cases it would be find to use these stamps. I imagine the overlap between people who could be harmed by receiving a certain stamp and people who voluntarily choose to receive mail from strangers is small.

11 Likes

If you have different sets of stamps, I would pick the stamps you use on a certain card the same way youā€™d pick a postcard.

Personally if I have something matching a personā€™s profile, I will pick that and if I donā€™t or if thatā€™s what they are into, I will pick something more generic.

So if someone writes on their profile that they would like to receive lgbt cards, I am sure theyā€™d also be happy about lgbt stamps.

If they donā€™t write anything about it, they might still be very happy about it, but you can never really know. I would hope that all postcrossers are accepting. :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you for your comments. I believe that ALL people should be accorded honor and respect. I agree with you that in many countries being gay can be dangerous. But in some nations, the discrimination can be very subtle, but no less disgraceful. As I learned on a cruise to the West Carribean after my wifeā€™s death 10 years ago. (My friends thought the trip would life my spirits).

It very much has to do with acceptance. If I or others disapprove of certain conduct, that isnā€™t discrimination. To give you an example. You like to smoke; I choose not to smoke. Does that make my stance about smoking and you discriminatory? No it doesnā€™t.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a catholic honesty but I wouldnā€™t take offence to a pride stamp. I understand that people believe things differently than I do.

3 Likes