Introduction to QSL cards - broadcasting and ham radio

Have you ever heard of QSL cards? They have been in use by broadcast stations and radio amateurs for about a century. Briefly they are used by broadcasting stations, especially those on shortwave, to confirm reception reports from listeners at distant locations. Also they are used by licensed radio amateurs (or “hams”) to confirm two-way contacts between them.

You may read more about the subject in the Wikipedia article: QSL card

A new reference on the subject: Inside the fascinating world of “ham radio” QSL cards

Visit my on-line gallery of QSL cards for a few images.

In addition to sending them using the regular postal system, there is a parallel system for amateur radio QSL cards set up by IARU. In this system many cards are grouped together by country of destination and sent as packets. Some participants in this parallel system also issued their own QSL stamps!

Costas

5 Likes

Is this the same with this one?

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/the-world-through-the-radio-swl-and-bcl/349757

2 Likes

I am an amateur radio operator that regularly sends and receives QSL cards. I am so happy the tradition continues to this day. I also do electronic confirmations, but treasure my physical QSL cards much more!

2 Likes

Yes! Alberto’s treatise on QSLs is very good.

1 Like

Me too… My call sign is SV1XV (also ex G7AHN).

3 Likes

I’m glad that you like my explanation :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I know about this cards.
My former student is into this :slight_smile:

Here’s information about a forty page booklet about QSL cards that was published in 2015.

73s from the Evergreen State: CB Radio QSL Cards from Washington (halfletterpress.com)

1 Like

As a shortwave radio enjoyer, I have collected two cards, one Via WRMI in Florida is Supreme Master TV and the other is from Radio Prague in Czechia, I look to collect more though, and I store them in an separate envelope with other postcards I have gotten

2 Likes

A nice QSL card I received recently, confirming a Morse-code radio contact with station SZ1KVDD onboard S/S Hellas Liberty, a museum ship in Piraeus.

Source: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/777361/51733900