INCOMPLETE - Interested in having a Meetup in Florida?

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Florida
:pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: TBD or Online (Zoom)
:calendar: DATE: 20 March 2022 / TBD
:alarm_clock: TIME: TBD (eastern time)
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN:

I am posting to see if anyone is interested in arranging a meetup in Florida early next year. The date I selected is arbitrary and can be changed. I live in Tallahassee but would be willing to travel. Another option is to conduct it via Zoom. I have a Zoom account that can facilitate that, even if the attendance is large. As far as I can tell there has not been a postcrossing meetup in Florida, in person or virtual. Prior to Covid south Florida had occasional postcard shows. I am not aware any of these have restarted. If any have, that could also be an option for a meetup. I hope to hear back from some fellow Floridians and that we can set something up!! – John

3 Likes

Hey! As a covid-conscious person, I’d love a virtual meet-up. I’m based in Orlando if relevant.

1 Like

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for responding. I totally understand your concerns and it is why I mentioned the use of Zoom. Let’s see if others are interested in a virtual meetup.

1 Like

I don’t do zoom or any online meeting rooms, but wanted to say hi. I’m in Florida (panhandle).

1 Like

@HeatherSuncoast may be you are interested too , she has same idea before .

1 Like

Hello, I would be interested , depending on the location. I do not have zoom or anything similar though. Tallahassee area would be great!

2 Likes

Hi Crystalinne! Thanks for replying. When you say you don’t do Zoom, does that mean you dislike connecting to zoom sessions? I understand that using a virtual session is not for everyone. Did you know you can participate in a Zoom session over the phone by making a phone call and entering the zoom session ID? Should the Floridians who respond to this thread wish to have a virtual meetup I hope you will consider participating whichever way you feel comfortable. Regardless, it is good to hear from you.

1 Like

Grazie Alyonushka-SPb. I appreciate you letting me know @HeatherSuncoast had posted about this previously. I’ll post to that thread too.

1 Like

Hi Jan, thanks for posting on this thread. You don’t need anything special to participate in a zoom session. Just your computer, a web browser, and the link. As I note to @Crystalinne above, you can even participate over the phone.

There is also the possibility of doing both. We can have a meetup in one place, and using a laptop and camera, have other participate remotely. We have lots of options and time. Before any significant discussion takes place about an in person meetup we need to ensure that everyone who might come feels safe. With rising rates due to a new Covid variant, I think many are justified in their concern.

In the meantime, perhaps it is just helpful for us all to simply say hello and express possible interest. Just knowing that there are enough people potentially interested is a step forward. If you know of any other Floridians, please ask them to say hi on this thread, and/or the one started by @HeatherSuncoast.

2 Likes

Thank you, sounds great so far! And if I come in contact with anyone else in Florida I will definitely let them know. Take care, Jan

Hi all, I’m in Orlando here and would love to meet up with some of you either in person or virtually.

2 Likes

Thanks for replying. It is great to meet your acquaintance!

Hello there, I would like to attend. :star_struck:
A small group of Post-crossers meet at the Sunshine Postcards Show in Tampa a couple times a year. We have not meet after covid, but I’m looking forward to the next show in January 14-15.

2 Likes

Hi Mali,
Thanks for responding. I was unaware the postcard shows are restarting next year. I just searched and found the info I will include for others below. How many postcrossers meetup at this mini-meetup? Is it too late for us to plan a meetup there? What does everyone else think?
Thanks,
John

January 14-15, 2022 Tampa, FL
Sunshine Post Card Club Winter Show. Country Inn and Suites by Radisson, Lakeside Ballroom, 4750 North Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa, FL. Friday 10-6, Saturday 9-5. Masks required. For information contact Bonnie Wilpon bonnpon@att.net or (813) 766-7292 or Leah Schnall leahcard@aol.com or (941) 753-8794. Admission $3 per day or $5 for both days, children under 12 free.

Hi John,
I’m hosting a meetup on Friday the 14th 10am - 12pm. at the Sunshine Post Card show. I’ll be posting it here shortly. You are welcome to join us.
Thanks, Mali

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, as it is on a Friday and I work Monday through Friday, I cannot attend. If it were on Saturday I could possibly attend. Thanks for letting me know. I hope others can make it. Happy postcrossing!

For convenience I have created a Google Sheets page, Postcrossers in Florida, with the undernames, first names, and places as listed on the profiles of all this threads respondents. Please feel free to add comments to the spreadsheet with corrections or if you’d like to be added. When we discuss the nets meetup the people on the list will be alerted.

If it ends up online please let me know. I’m in Virginia and would like it then. :desktop_computer::postbox::black_heart:

1 Like

Hello! I am in South Florida (WPB area) and would love to do a Covid-conscious meetup with others who might be interested down here.

1 Like

Hello! I think a meeting at the Postcard Inn on the Beach would be great! I am in Dunedin, FL and have only heard of a meeting in Tampa which I won’t be able to attend. Would love to find a meetup on this side of the “pond.” Please let me know if this develops. My username is Parkeraj and my name is Anita. Thank you!

1 Like