In English — Visitor's Corner

Hi, I have now 2 different kind of illustrated postcards from Tampere-tram from Raijami. Kindly send me Your address and I’ll send cards to You.
Have a nice day!
Anne

1 Like

@AnnekKi

Thank you! Message sent :slight_smile:

Hi there! Greetings from Berlin, Germany.
I’ve been learning Suomi on Duolingo for some time but I’m not sure it’s the considerable amount of knowledge to have a real penpal conversation in this wonderful language. Still, I’m in love with Finland and its wonderful nature and traditions.
If anyone from Finland would like to be my penpal (first in English and then we’ll see if I master more Suomi), I would be really happy.
I’m 31 y.o. and am into postcrossing, writing letters, analog photography, programming and art in general.

Please write me a message if you are interested.

Best wishes,
Alina

Hello to everybody :slight_smile:
I really like the 2022 the Europa Finnish stamps
FI-22-2
FI-22-1

and I was wondering if anyone would like to swap a card with me using one of these stamps

I can offer view cards of several Italian places (Genoa, town of Liguria, Venice, Ravenna, the Alps… ), Unesco sites, watercolor, meetup cards, GF Italy, women in science…
And I can buy at ost office most stamps of the last few years :slight_smile:

Thank you!
Irene

1 Like

Hello @Iside82, have you find someone to help you with these stamps? If not I can help :slightly_smiling_face:

Hei!
In August I will be visiting Helsinki for one day only!
What activities do you recommend doing? Is there a post museum?
What typical food can I eat?
Is it true you eat a hot dog from a sugar doughnut, and if so, where is the best place to get one?
How do I post items (post office or post box) and where can I buy stamps?
Thanks on advance!!

Hi @JustJo, tervetuloa Helsinkiin! :finland: :hugs: Unfortunately, the only post museum I know of is in Tampere, not in Helsinki. :frowning: :postbox:

A quick summary to your questions:
  • Posting You can post postcards in orange street post boxes marked with the white text POSTI, at post office counters at supermarkets or at the main post office in Helsinki (Elielinaukio 2 F, near the central railway station, behind the Czech restaurant Vltava). The main post office has a special cancellation postbox (Helsinki cancellation) in a corner of the post office inside (by the wall which says Drop-off). There’s another special cancellation postbox near the statue Havis Amanda (Havis Amanda cancellation) by the Market Square, but beware there are two postboxes near the statue and only one of them offers this special cancellation.

• Stamps You can buy stamps pretty much everywhere at kiosks, bookstores, post office counters at supermarkets, but I’d strongly recommend the main post office (open Mon-Fri 8.00-20.00, Sat-Sun 10.00-18.00). They have most variety there and also knowledge of stamps. I am afraid that kiosks, bookstores etc. may try to offer you only international priority stamps which are more expensive than domestic stamps. With one domestic stamp (marked with the map of Finland) you can mail a postcard anywhere in the world in the economy class (write economy on the card if you use domestic stamps).

• To do Take a stroll in the Market Square where you can buy Finnish delicacies and souvenirs and maybe visit the orthodox Uspenski Cathedral nearby. Or enjoy Allas Sea Pool, a sea spa with saunas. I also recommend visiting the Senat Square with the iconic Helsinki Cathedral or if you happen to be in the city centre, the central library Oodi.

• To eat At the Market Square you can try fried vendaces, salmon soup or sautéed reindeer. And wrap your lunch up with a pancake or a cinnamon bun. I am not sure what you mean by hot dog with sugar dough, maybe you confuse it with meat pie called lörtsy? The traditional lörtsy has mince meat filling, but vegetarian option as well as sweet options (apple, blueberry, raspberry jam, vanilla curd) are available too. You should be able to buy these too at the Market Square.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for such a detailed answer! I am very much looking forward to seeing everything you’ve mentioned!

1 Like

Hello Yuki and thank You for the lovely New Year cards. I hope You have the best Rabbit year ever.
It was my pleasure to help You (and Your friend). Stay safe! Anne :slight_smile:

1 Like

As title.thank you guys

Here’s what the website of Posti (the postal operator of Finland) says:

thanks

@Mingfei7 You can find information about the IRC from Posti’s web shop https://shop.posti.fi/en/product/0111155

Hello Finnish Postcrossers,
I am an avid Postcrosser in Japan and a snail mail lover.
I have learned that Plus Sticker service on Posti will end on 1 April, and after that, you can use an unused Plus sticker as a 1.50 Euro stamp.
It must be an unusual and attractive mail! I am so interested. Could someone kindly send me a postcard or envelope, putting a Plus sticker (and enough stamps) after April? In return, I will try to send something like a postcard or Japanese stamps on your preference.

Could you send a message if you could help me, please? Thanks in advance.
Masako

https://www.posti.fi/en/private/letters-and-mail/send-a-letter-or-postcard/stamps-envelopes-and-packaging-materials/plus-sticker

Kiitos @Dollart for the card from the Hämeenlinna postcard Event. :smiley:

Terve! I’m going to a Käärijä :green_heart: :smile: concert in Helsinki and I would be grateful for any advice on how is the best way to get from the Helsinki Vantaa airport to the main city? I read that you can take a taxi, there is a bus and probably some train? Honestly, I don’t like airports and I’m afraid of new ones so any advice/information would be helpful :smiling_face:

Also, I’m wondering how many days to stay in Helsinki, how many do you think is enough? What should I see? Any nice restaurants spot/Moomin place/etc? :slight_smile:

And not forgetting our beautiful hobby - any advice on sending cards/going to the post office/if there is no problem to buy stamps there/or are there any special shops for that as well as sometimes in other countries?

Thank you for any help and information, I will appreciate it a lot! I’m so excited and can’t wait :smile:

Kiitos paljon! :hugs:

Welcome to Finland!

In my opinion the train is definitely easiest way to get to central Helsinki from the airport. Just follow the railway station signs from arrivals to get there and all trains leaving from the airport go to Helsinki Central Station. (P and I trains if you want to be sure about the names of the trains.) You need to buy a ticket before entering the train and you can find an automat for that in the platform.

I can’t give much tips for Helsinki as I haven’t really done anything special there but if you have time go to visit Suomenlinna fortress. (Suomenlinna Official Website )The island is definitely my favourite place in Helsinki area.

Buying stamps is easy in Finland. Nearly all grocery stores sell them from the till. Also many shops where you can find cards sell them. There is also a post office in Postitalo next to the Helsinki Central Station.

1 Like

Hi @Lavonq, welcome to Finland! :finland: This is what I wrote earlier in this thread about tips what to do/see/eat in Helsinki (updated from earlier).

Helsinki
  • Posting You can post postcards in orange street post boxes marked with the white text POSTI, at post office counters at supermarkets or at the main post office in Helsinki (Elielinaukio 2 F, near the central railway station, behind the Czech restaurant Vltava).

• Stamps You can buy stamps pretty much everywhere at kiosks, bookstores, post office counters at supermarkets, but I’d strongly recommend the main post office (open Mon-Fri 8.00-20.00, Sat-Sun 10.00-18.00). They have most variety there and also knowledge of stamps. I am afraid that kiosks, bookstores etc. may try to offer you only international priority stamps which are more expensive than domestic stamps. With one domestic stamp (marked with the map of Finland) you can mail a postcard anywhere in the world in the economy class (write economy on the card if you use domestic stamps).

• To do Take a stroll in the Market Square where you can buy Finnish delicacies and souvenirs and maybe visit the orthodox Uspenski Cathedral nearby. Or enjoy Allas Sea Pool, a sea spa with saunas. I also recommend visiting the Senat Square with the iconic Helsinki Cathedral or if you happen to be in the city centre, the central library Oodi.

• To eat At the Market Square you can try fried vendaces, salmon soup or sautéed reindeer. And wrap your lunch up with a pancake or a cinnamon bun. Try also lörtsy, a meat pie. The traditional lörtsy has mince meat filling, but vegetarian option as well as sweet options (apple, blueberry, raspberry jam, vanilla curd) are available too. You should be able to buy these too at the Market Square.

1 Like

Thank you so, so much for such detailed answers! @nnniiina and @Regndroppar :hugs:
It seems that getting from the airport by train is very easy and I’m very happy about it.

Suomenlinna fortress is definitely a place of “must see”, I love such historic places and this one looks marvelous. So I will surely spend one day for it.

Thank you so much for these specific hints about buying the stamps, especially where to find them and what do the mailboxes look like. It’s very helpful because in some countries you can get confused due to different types of mailboxes.

And last but not least thanks for some other places and food hints, I will write everything in my notebook :slight_smile: Can’t wait to visit :finland:!

Last question - I saw an article that Finland uses cards more than cash, is that true? So I should not take much cash and rely on card payments? Very interesting thing

1 Like

After working in customer service for more than a decade, I would say it is true. :smile: Most of the places accept both card and cash, but there are some (I would say rare) places where you can only use card or cash.

I think it’s totally up to you which one you will use more, but I would take some cash with me just in case and also carry my card with me. :relaxed:

1 Like