Import costs Belgium

Hello everyone!

I will let you know something.
I’m Marie from Belgium.
A few weeks ago, I’ve won a lottery from the USA.
Today I’ve received a lettre from the Belgian Post (BPost).
Since 1 July 2021, there are import costs for packages that come from not EU-countries. That makes that I had to pay 24 Euro :angry:.
I’ve done this because I’m really curious…

Maybe it’s good to know that this can happen and that we have to pay attention…

Greetings Marie

3 Likes

It’s the same in ALL EUROPEAN COUNTRIES. The European Union has set the taxes for incoming packages from outside of EU. A normal envelope with 1-5 cards comes without extra costs but bigger envelopes are already in danger to make extra costs to the recipient.

4 Likes

Wow, so this would impact, not just lottery wins, but an official Postcrossing postcard, where the sender decides to send it in an envelope with a few gifts. If you weren’t expecting it, would you be prepared to spend up to 24 euros?

2 Likes

I received a bigger envelope from a lottery win from USA 10 days ago - I had to pay a bit more than 3 € so that was ok, but I would not like to pay more than 5 €… This is realyl a pity!

1 Like

UPDATE

I’ve just chat with someone from the Belgian Post.
He says that if you send it as a gift, you don’t have to pay import costs.
But I have paid already, and he can’t return the money.
So on the packet, it must be written that it’s a gift.
I think that this is the way it works.

4 Likes

Gifts (not worth more than 45 euros) are not affected by customs duty though! But a declaration on the outside of the envelope / packet helps! If you’re asked to pay customs for a gift, it’s wrong! Check your country’s customs regulations and good luck with it :wink:

Here’s a screenshot from the German customs website:

3 Likes

I’ve just chat with someone from the Belgian Post.
He says that if you send it as a gift, you don’t have to pay import costs.
But I have paid already, and he can’t return the money.
So on the packet, it must be written that it’s a gift.
I think that this is the way it works.

1 Like

Best would be a CN22 declaration, that’s the official way to do it :wink:

2 Likes

I understand you.
If I understand the rules good, you also don’t have to pay 3 Euros.
Good to know.
I’m happy that there are a lot people who have advice or who can help me!

Thanks a lot for all these information.
I won’t make this mistake two times :wink:
I think that there are a lot people that don’t know this.

For sending something other than documents, it needs to be sent as a package (which is more expensive of course) and needs to have a customs form attached (CN22).
(This doesn’t apply within EU borders.)

So be careful when sending to/from the EU you don’t add extras in an envelope, or pay the extra costs and add the customs form and describe the contents as a gift so the receiver doesn’t have to pay.

4 Likes

Or only thin stuff like an extra blank postcard*, stickers, a bookmark which can’t be recognized :see_no_evil:

yes blank cards are de facto considered goods and not documents, so not allowed officially. But how should they notice…

3 Likes

I also received a letter from Bpost about a package from the USA. I didn’t order anything and there was no useful information about the package so I didn’t pay the import coast and let it go back to the USA.

1 Like

Seems so, but on my declaration form the sender wrote clearly gift on the form and it was also only woth around 20 $ … I don’t know why I had to pay the 3 Euro…

1 Like