Ideas wanted! advertising for postcrossing?

I only discovered postcrossing a few days ago and would like to have been there a lot longer! this is just such a great thing! I think many people feel the same way as me, they don’t know that there is such a great thing! do you have an idea how we can make postcrossing even better known? maybe also in countries where not so many participate yet? but of course also in all other countries?

5 Likes

I think sticking flyers to lamp posts or pinboards that are in schools, universities, supermarkets etc is a good idea.

4 Likes

that’s a really good idea! I will try to implement this in my area!

1 Like

I think this topic would be interesting for you, too.

1 Like

This card was made of Postcrossing flyer. The flyer was made by Indonesia Postcrossing Community and I made a handmade card from it :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t understand the purpose of sending cards advertising Postcrossing to people who are already Postcrossers. :puzzled:

Surely it would be more effective to use them to send to people who aren’t on postcrossing yet?

5 Likes

I sent it not to promote postcrossing but to talk about our community activities and introduce my language. It’s all in Indonesian languange, not English.

4 Likes

I believe @yudi just went creative with the flyer not send it for advertising purposes. I mean it is a postcrossing related card made out of something unique. Meetup cards are also “postcrossing” cards but you dont send them to promote the hobby itself.

As for the main topic, advertisement, I find the term more useful for “commercial” products. Attracting new interested members is great, but a wide advertisement would attract hundreds or more of “just curious” people and that could create a few problems in my opinion. Word of mouth in our case is one of the strongest advertisements!

As for other countries or more people from “rare” ones, no matter how much Id like that to happen, Ive come to the conclusion we cant do much about it. In most inactive (or barely active) countries, people have more important stuff to worry about (and spend their money to) other than sending cards to strangers :confused: And that is double sad now that I think about it.

5 Likes

A few years ago I did a display in the library where I work. I used books on postcards surrounded by postcards and stamps on a small shelving unit.
Then I printed lots of information about Postcrossing so that people could take a flyer about it.
I did take a photo that is somewhere…must look for it.
It generated a lot of interest and a few who signed up that I got to hear about it. But I hope there were many more…
Might be time to do another display :grinning:
How about asking if your local library will advertise or do a display?

11 Likes

I think national Post offices could do a good deal of work… in the Netherlands we did have special postcrossing stamps in 2016:

They also did a whole campaign about postcrossing to go with the stamps. A small part of the web page is still alive:

https://www.postnl.nl/campagnes/postcrossing/

This might be a great idea for other countries… but how to get them to do this… I don’t know (yet).

5 Likes

I don’t think that was the purpose of this card :slight_smile: it seems more like something that would be cool to share from one postcrossing enthusiast to another just to show it off and appreciate it

2 Likes

Is that flyer still available a s pdf?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

No sorry, it was years ago…

Ok, thanks

I post pictures of the front view of the cards I receive as well as what country they are from on my Facebook page. Every time I post a cards or several cards I always explain the program. I e got three people to sign up and now they are spreading the word to their friends.

2 Likes

These are sticky notes I leave on random windshields of cars when I am out and about:

4 Likes

Postcrossing is on fb too, did you know?
So you could share a link…